Friday Facts #347 - New hope demo levels

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #347 - New hope demo levels

Post by FactorioBot »

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #347 - New hope demo levels

Post by billbo99 »

I wonder how hard it would be to have the construction drones throw grenades to clear trees

ManaUser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by ManaUser »

I think it's very exciting that the demo (as in free sample) is getting expanded. And using the tried and true campaign levels seems like a good way to go. As cool as it was to have a demo at all (something I miss from older games, seems much rarer nowadays) I always thought the old one it was a little lacking, it stopped before getting into anything that really felt like Factorio. But the rail map feels like the real deal.

You get a taste of the scale the real game works at, and there's enough room to experiment on your own if you want to.

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

billbo99 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:47 pm
I wonder how hard it would be to have the construction drones throw grenades to clear trees
But... but... all that valuable, valuable wood. :(

I actually use it btw. Wooden poles forever (plus some big ones for large distances). So while it's a funny idea, it would need to be somehow controllable so players can choose to keep the wood or not.

Also, the ability for robots to use military-grade items could lead to potentially .. interesting things.

malecord
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by malecord »

Nice job having construction bots throwing explosives.

So... when will the "biters deconstruction planner" be ready? XD

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

billbo99 wrote:
I wonder how fun it would be to have drones throw grenades at enemy player bases to deconstruct them. :lol:

bor
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by bor »

I remember the first time I played Level 05. I was so stoked that I was finally going to use trains after all the hard work of gathering the materials and ferrying them by car...
Only to find out that I wasn't gathering the materials to fix the train... I was supposed to use the train to gather them in the first place... :facepalm:

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Regenerate Terrain to new map generator including decoratives, trees and cliffs while keeping existing lakes and entities sounds like my old mod https://mods.factorio.com/mod/WorldGen_Update

However I did things quite differently to get to the same result.
- create a new surface with the intended map seed with no water.
- copy each tile over to nauvis if it doesn't collide with water, if it's under floor tile remove the floor before copying so it remains nice even when players remove the floor later
- copy cliffs, big rocks and trees over if they don't collide an are n tiles away from player placed structures
- regrow decoratives

IronCartographer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by IronCartographer »

billbo99 wrote:
Poison capsules avoid damaging infrastructure hidden by trees, and they cover a larger area at the same time. :)

SuperSandro2000
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by SuperSandro2000 »

To be honest the cliff just vanishes into thin air. No explosions or something.

DerGraue
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by DerGraue »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:33 pm
True. With the new particle system it should be possible to make them crumble into the ground.

trad_emark
Inserter
Inserter

Post by trad_emark »

SuperSandro2000 wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:33 pm
Exactly my thought. It needs way more particles. And a debris too.

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Over 5 years of optimizing the game to the limits, and it all gets spent on graphical overhauls in a month. Never change, game industry! :mrgreen:

I tease, I tease. It's nice to see more shiny things in Factorio. Can't go wrong with shinies.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

Golden!

Not only can I refer friends and strangers, owners and potential buyers alike to exactly the thing I want, but I can refer them to the same thing.

These missions are what I think really sealed the deal for me when I bought the game and started playing it. They're what I keep referring to when asked what's best to start with and what I always wanted to let people try if they asked for a demo.

nuke_it_from_orbit
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nuke_it_from_orbit »

MEOWMI wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:56 pm
These missions are what I think really sealed the deal for me when I bought the game and started playing it. They're what I keep referring to when asked what's best to start with and what I always wanted to let people try if they asked for a demo.
Same. I played the same missions for the v.16 demo over and over again. Probably 50-100h of play time. Then I bought the game and started free play.

promaty
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by promaty »

I really like having a narrative in my games when there is a clear direction and goal. Removing the campaign still makes me sad :(

I was thinking since you scrapped the campaign, maybe you can add random objective feature in freeplay levels? Find a ruined base, explore this part of map, etc.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

malecord wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:24 pm
(...)
So... when will the "biters deconstruction planner" be ready? XD
I think, it‘s called MIRV.
A word of caution though, setting filters on this is quite broken.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

promaty wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:51 pm
I really like having a narrative in my games when there is a clear direction and goal. Removing the campaign still makes me sad :(

I was thinking since you scrapped the campaign, maybe you can add random objective feature in freeplay levels? Find a ruined base, explore this part of map, etc.
This wouldn‘t necessairly fit the playstyle of most.
Maybe you should check something like the Ruins mod out.

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

I take bets on when an impossible-to-predict bug is found that came into existance because the bots now throw cliff explosives. :D

KatherineOfSky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by KatherineOfSky »

I remember that area so well... the second screenshot with the half-ruined smelting column. That's how I learned how to use long-handed inserters! I only played the campaign one time... but I designed my smelting columns that way for weeks afterward! Coal in the middle, ore close, and power poles tucked between the undergroundies! :D

I'm glad the current "campaign" is going ... I attempted to play it, and it was definitely not new-player friendly.

As far as the old campaign goes.... Are you going to keep the level with the car/biters? I have to admit... I didn't get past that one when I was a newcomer to the game. It almost made me not play any more. The only help I got (and this was when it released on steam... so years ago), was someone driving around and hitting the alien bases with the machine gun ... and my driving skills were terrible back then! I didn't succeed at passing that level. It was just a terrible experience for me.

Went straight on to Freeplay after that. I hope that an enemy introduction level is a bit less severe.

Awesome job with all the rest of the optimizations and upgrades to effects, pathing, etc.! Looking forward to playing when I am well again! :D
Tutorials, wild playthroughs, and more! https://www.youtube.com/@KatherineOfSky

Return to “News”