Ability to bind a key to /Shout

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

MathieuG89
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Ability to bind a key to /Shout

Post by MathieuG89 »

TL;DR
Please consider adding the ability to bind a key to /Shout
What ?
I would like to suggest a way to shout at other players without having to type "/Shout" every single time
Why ?
I have been playing Factorio PvP as Coop with a friend for the past few days and it really ticks us both that we have to type "/Shout" every time we chat during the game. What we ended up doing is copy-paste the whole string but it really undermines the multiplayer experience. I think it would be a really nice quality of life feature.

Thank you for considering my suggestion.
Attachments
Shout.png
Shout.png (931.02 KiB) Viewed 2385 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Ability to bind a key to /Shout

Post by Klonan »

there is the `/s` shorthand...

MathieuG89
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MathieuG89 »

Klonan wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:44 pm
Hey Klonan, thank you for the reply, it is good to know /shout can be shortened to /s. Still, I'd like to think that the current implementation of the chat was rushed and only a temporary measure. I think having to type commands to chat is a bad game design.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

MathieuG89 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Klonan wrote:
Hey Klonan, thank you for the reply, it is good to know /shout can be shortened to /s. Still, I'd like to think that the current implementation of the chat was rushed and only a temporary measure. I think having to type commands to chat is a bad game design.
Why are you chatting so much with shout in the first place? The default chat experience you don't need to type anything to chat with your own team, you open the console and type your message, similar to most games. The only major difference is the chat not remembering your channel usage, but even that isn't universal.

MathieuG89
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MathieuG89 »

Xeorm wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 10:40 pm
MathieuG89 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 1:04 pm
Klonan wrote:
Why are you chatting so much with shout in the first place? The default chat experience you don't need to type anything to chat with your own team, you open the console and type your message, similar to most games. The only major difference is the chat not remembering your channel usage, but even that isn't universal.
I really dislike how Factorio handles coop. To each have our own separate spawn point and research queue we need to choose the PvP scenario, then we have to make two separate team in which we join one another. And then, we both have to choose the same team number. Somehow we cannot see what the other person is typing unless that person uses /shout even though we're technically on the same team.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Good idea: Solving technical problems by shouting. SCNR
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

MathieuG89 wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 11:11 pm

I really dislike how Factorio handles coop. To each have our own separate spawn point and research queue we need to choose the PvP scenario, then we have to make two separate team in which we join one another. And then, we both have to choose the same team number. Somehow we cannot see what the other person is typing unless that person uses /shout even though we're technically on the same team.
Co-op in Factorio is both on the same team with the same research queue working towards the rocket goal. That's how the game was designed to be played. NOT on separate forces allied.

In fact, single-player is the intended way to play. Multiplayer was added after because it's also nice - but is not the intended way to play.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

MathieuG89
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by MathieuG89 »

Regardless of how the game was designed, I think the only intended way it should be played is in any way that is enjoyed by it's players. Some people enjoy modding their games to suit their liking. I actually enjoy the Vanilla Factorio experience myself. What I do not enjoy though is being forced to play a particular playstyle.

In any case, I still think that having to write down lines of commands to use the chat decreases Factorio value as a game.

Xeorm
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Xeorm »

Just don't be surprised that doing things in an odd way requires a fair amount of workarounds in order to function properly.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”