Simple Questions and Short Answers

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Simple Questions and Short Answers

Post by DJQuad »

I have a few construction bots that can't make it from one roboport to the other because they're too far apart. There's a separate logistic network in between so I can't build more roboports between them. Is there any way to cancel the logistic request or destroy the few bots that are stuck?

I've tried throwing cluster grenades at them :lol:

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

You can pick up bots by hand when they hover in the air

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

Hmm I spammed F but it didn't get them
Attachments
cantpickup.png
cantpickup.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4397 times

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

You can pick them up like any other structure you build: by right click.

[Edit]
Pressing F is for picking up items that are on the ground or on belts.
You could have bots on belts and pick them up with right klick, but those ones don't move.
It is like comparing deployed and functional belts (pick up with right click) with belts that were dropped onto the ground by an inserter.
Only the latter belts can be picked up by pressing F. But they are not functional.
[/Edit]

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

Oh good to know, thanks. They were too fast to right click for me but the rocket launcher took em out. :D

Mr. Tact
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mr. Tact »

Just hold down the mouse button and hover in the area, even fast ones aren't terribly hard to capture.
Professional Curmudgeon since 1988.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

This might seem like a stupid question, but how do I make my personal roboports use power from fusion reactors instead of solar panels? I've tried having only one exoskeleton and enough ports to need 2 reactors, but I didn't notice any recharging (or battery-filling, though I guess it may not be able to do that). Am I just not noticing when it happens because I think it'd fill the batteries, or is there some other factor I'm missing?

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

Your stuff draws power from whatever power sources you have slotted into your armor.

If you have solar panels in your armor, they will provide power. If you have portable fusion reactors, they will also provide power.

Once you get the portable fusion reactors, there is no reason to maintain the solar panels. They take up valuable space that could be exoskeleton legs, personal roboports, personal shields, or personal laser defenses. Or a second portable fusion reactor.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

astroshak wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:23 pm
Your stuff draws power from whatever power sources you have slotted into your armor.

If you have solar panels in your armor, they will provide power. If you have portable fusion reactors, they will also provide power.

Once you get the portable fusion reactors, there is no reason to maintain the solar panels. They take up valuable space that could be exoskeleton legs, personal roboports, personal shields, or personal laser defenses. Or a second portable fusion reactor.
Oh. I did a test not 10 minutes before, and noticed that the ports were recharging without the panels, but I hadn't seen anything with the batteries (that, or the batteries were recharging the ports first before the reactors). But I also just noticed that the batteries were upticking as well with just the reactors, albeit rather slowly. Seems like the portable solar is to fill in any gaps in the grid once you get to the fusion reactor.

At least, wouldn't a combo of solar panels and reactors have a noticeable increase in recharge speed for any item in the grid?

EDIT: I've never really seen the point of personal laser defense or capsules (robot or otherwise), either. Are those just player preference or are they really that good?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:57 am
EDIT: I've never really seen the point of personal laser defense or capsules (robot or otherwise), either. Are those just player preference or are they really that good?
I call Personal Laser Defense "Jesus Walking."

As in, you load up with like 8 of them and just walk through biter nests. Or drive. Oh man it's fun to drive with those things.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by astroshak »

In vanilla, almost everything that you are going to want to slot into your power armor is 2x2 or larger. The only three things smaller are batteries (1x2), portable solar panels (1x1), and belt immunity equipment (1x1).

Both Modular Armor and Power Armor have odd grid sizes )5x5 and 7x7 respectively). Power Armor mk 2 has a 10x10 grid.

I tend to ignore (as too small) the grid on the Modular and Power armors. In games where I have biters on, I tend to have two Power Armor mk 2 suits, one outfitted for combat one outfitted for building. The combat suit has two portable fusion reactors, 2 battery mk 2’s (put next to each other for a 2x2 square), a couple exoskeletons, and a mix of personal shields and personal laser defenses. The building suit has the shields batteries and exoskeletons, but replaces the laser defenses and one reactor with personal roboports.

In other words, because I pair up the batteries, and I don’t bother with belt immunity equipment, I don’t generally have an extra 1x1 spot here and there to put solar panels into.

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:57 am
Poison capsules are good against worms! Just drive by a nest, throw some capsules at the worms, and leave them to die (anything bigger than small worms may require several drive-bys.) Biters and spitters will also perish eventually from poison, however, as they tend to move, you should drive in circles, leaving a trail of poison capsules behind you so that the enemies don't have a chance to leave the poison cloud.

If you're not averse to using mods, Autodrive could be helpful. It provides different sensors you can put into your vehicle's grid. If the enemy sensor is installed, the vehicle will automatically shoot at enemies in range, so you can concentrate on driving and throwing out capsules or grenades. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

I have a mouse without a middle button and Toggle Filter is set to RMB, however when I right-click an empty inventory slot on a cargo wagon, nothing happens. Am I doing something wrong?

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

Don't think so.

RMB does work correctly in any other cases? Have you tried to set keybinding to MMB and tried that?
Also, try to unbind RMB from every other interaction. Maybe there's a double-binding that causes interference?

When I bind Toggle Filter to RMB, it does not work, eigther. But I did not clear all other RMB functions. If it still happens for you, it may be a bug, then.

Voidedfactory
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Voidedfactory »

actually I have Endgame Combat and Power Armor Mk 3 (two variants, one that adds an Mk 4 with White science), so I suppose I have more grid size than usual. The idea of having multiple armors for different uses was something I was going to build up to but I don't have the economy I want just yet.

One of the mods (I can't recall which off the top of my head) includes a special Fusion battery which is miles above the mk 2, but even with the vanilla Mk2 batteries it just never felt like they were charging (them or the ports, though I admit I never actually looked at the ports themselves while I had mk2 armor on), hence my confusion and initial belief I needed both portable panels and fusion reactors.

I will look into if I want personal laser defenses, though.

P-EDIT: Still, set filter (when done on an empty inventory slot on a cargo wagon) shouldn't be affected by (or affect) any other possible RMB functions (for instance, picking up half the count of an item) since there wouldn't be anything to interfere. To my limited knowleddge, it sounds more like a bug.

Also, he says he doesn't have a middle button so he can't do that.

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

I tried rebinding Filter Toggle from RMB to another key but it says it has to be mouse-related, and all other combinations of shift/alt/ctrl/RMB/LMB are taken. Should I report this as a bug I guess? I surly can't be the only one experiencing this.

tamanous
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by tamanous »

Voidedfactory wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:18 am
Also, he says he doesn't have a middle button so he can't do that.
Uh damn. I'm sorry!
DJQuad wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 pm
I tried rebinding Filter Toggle from RMB to another key but it says it has to be mouse-related, and all other combinations of shift/alt/ctrl/RMB/LMB are taken. Should I report this as a bug I guess? I surly can't be the only one experiencing this.
I would recommend filing a bug report.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

DJQuad wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:37 pm
I surly can't be the only one experiencing this.
When i rebind RMB instead of MMB for toggling filter, and don't change anything else, i did experience the same thing, it wasn't functionning.

DJQuad
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by DJQuad »

I reported it at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83722. They basically gave the middle finger to those without a middle mouse button.

As a software developer I know it would take all of 4 lines of code, but for whatever reason they're reluctant. :roll: Ah well

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

DJQuad wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:24 am
I reported it at viewtopic.php?f=23&t=83722. They basically gave the middle finger to those without a middle mouse button.

As a software developer I know it would take all of 4 lines of code, but for whatever reason they're reluctant. :roll: Ah well
i am going to let this here ;)
magictrick.jpg
magictrick.jpg (89.26 KiB) Viewed 3997 times

Return to “Gameplay Help”