New Character GUI (eye strain)

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

New Character GUI (eye strain)

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Any one else finding the new character GUI maddening?

OLD
invetoryscreen021.PNG
invetoryscreen021.PNG (276.28 KiB) Viewed 6010 times
NEW
invetoryscreen001.PNG
invetoryscreen001.PNG (269.96 KiB) Viewed 6010 times

Haven't been playing past 18.12 because of it, mostly download the updates to poke around.

My eyes just can't focus on the new screen feels like im staring at this the whole time.

grid.PNG
grid.PNG (40 KiB) Viewed 6010 times

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: New Character GUI (eye strain)

Post by Deadlock989 »

No, it's a massive improvement.

It's visually more stylish and I find the dark background much easier to focus on - my vision is weak to begin with.

Icons "pop" more effectively. Even weak old low-res icons look better.

It fits better with the kind of darker interface styles that I routinely select in desktop and phone applications wherever possible.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

The new one feels more strenuous to me as well.
Dark Themes are only less strenuous when there's a lack of ambient light, since I work and play in a well light room I have light themes mostly.

An option to revert to the old grey grids would be appreciated.
Last edited by Optera on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

My first reaction was the same as @OP, horrible contrast. After a few hours of play it's "less bad". It's probably akin to the age old "black text on white background" vs "white text on black background" debate (and i like bright background...). Icons with black-on-black blob shadows are especially annoying to look at (causes visual haloing/blurring for me). Though i don't have any illutions that such a major change will just be reverted.
thedarkenninng.png
thedarkenninng.png (16.24 KiB) Viewed 6060 times
theblobbenning.png
theblobbenning.png (10.09 KiB) Viewed 6053 times
Edit: just noticed that science bottles in inventory don't seem to have blob shadows - that's just the haloing my eyes make up due to the dark background >_>.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

For me, the icons in the new crafting GUI for some reason look smaller. Couldn't figure out why, because they aren't actually smaller. After staring at your screenshots again for a few minutes, it looks like the text is higher up on the icon. Could that also be throwing you off?
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

CaptainSlide
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CaptainSlide »

The only thing annoying me about it at the moment is that screens that have scrolled don't stick. Let me explain.

I am playing the Krastorio 2 mod ATM. This has added a ton of stuff to make and do. Consequently the crafting queues are extremely long requiring one to scroll down to get to items at the bottom. Ie Landfill which is always at the bottom of the first crafting page. If I the right or left click on the landfill the screen pops back to the top of the page, this is really annoying if you want to click these things at the bottom of screen more than once. I note here that I run the GUI at 125% size so I don't have to strain so much to see the small icons this makes the need to scroll far more acute.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Bilka wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 pm
For me, the icons in the new crafting GUI for some reason look smaller. Couldn't figure out why, because they aren't actually smaller. After staring at your screenshots again for a few minutes, it looks like the text is higher up on the icon. Could that also be throwing you off?
Honestly never noticed the text change, but the icon size was one of the first things I noticed. If you zoom in the icons are actually smaller, but the tile placements themselves seem bigger.
ICONS.PNG
ICONS.PNG (110.02 KiB) Viewed 6103 times
I think with the black as well, and with the border its adding a lot of different levels of depth distortion for me.
Last edited by MakeItGraphic on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

[/quote]
eradicator wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:21 pm
My first reaction was the same as @OP, horrible contrast. After a few hours of play it's "less bad". It's probably akin to the age old "black text on white background" vs "white text on black background" debate (and i like bright background...). Icons with black-on-black blob shadows are especially annoying to look at (causes visual haloing/blurring for me). Though i don't have any illutions that such a major change will just be reverted.

Edit: just noticed that science bottles in inventory don't seem to have blob shadows - that's just the haloing my eyes make up due to the dark background >_>.
It's mainly those placeholder squares, instead of having empty spaces like the old GUI. It really throws my eyes for a loop

factorio inventory gird.PNG
factorio inventory gird.PNG (10.28 KiB) Viewed 6133 times
Just having it like this doesn't seem to bug me as much.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

I mean, we're all different. From the OP's other screenshots, those luminous pink-purple window borders nearly gave me a seizure just from a screenshot.

Wube are never going to please everyone and shouldn't try. You can't have an option for absolutely everything.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

CaptainSlide wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 pm
The only thing annoying me about it at the moment is that screens that have scrolled don't stick. Let me explain.

I am playing the Krastorio 2 mod ATM. This has added a ton of stuff to make and do. Consequently the crafting queues are extremely long requiring one to scroll down to get to items at the bottom. Ie Landfill which is always at the bottom of the first crafting page. If I the right or left click on the landfill the screen pops back to the top of the page, this is really annoying if you want to click these things at the bottom of screen more than once. I note here that I run the GUI at 125% size so I don't have to strain so much to see the small icons this makes the need to scroll far more acute.
To be fair, Krastorio 2 adds a lot of items, and would benefit from having some of them on a new tab. I found mods which have several screen heights' worth of items to scroll through in a tab really annoying even before the GUI update. I can see how the scrolling thing is a new behaviour that makes it worse, but at least part of that is preventable by the mod maker. Vanilla doesn't have any tabs that need any scrolling.

PS. I can't replicate this, anyhow. To get a scrollbar on the Logistics tab, the one that has landfill in it, I have to set the window size to some really wide/thin ratio I would never actually play with - or set the interface gui scaling to beyond 250% on my monitor (4K). Either way, when I click on landfill to craft it, nothing scrolls anywhere.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (453.34 KiB) Viewed 6178 times

MakeItGraphic
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MakeItGraphic »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:13 pm
I mean, we're all different. From the OP's other screenshots, those luminous pink-purple window borders nearly gave me a seizure just from a screenshot.

Wube are never going to please everyone and shouldn't try. You can't have an option for absolutely everything.
Just a means to turn off the placeholders, or to revert the scheme back would be fine. I doubt I'll be playing any new versions because of it. Not because I'm being picky but I literally can't look at it, had a hard time editing the screen shots even.

(All so, off topic but that pink-purple is inactive title bars, my theme is burgundy and grey.)
Last edited by MakeItGraphic on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

MakeItGraphic wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:32 pm
I doubt I'll be playing any new versions because of it.
Cheerio then.

CaptainSlide
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by CaptainSlide »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:21 pm
CaptainSlide wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:39 pm

To be fair, Krastorio 2 adds a lot of items, and would benefit from having some of them on a new tab. I found mods which have several screen heights' worth of items to scroll through in a tab really annoying even before the GUI update. I can see how the scrolling thing is a new behaviour that makes it worse, but at least part of that is preventable by the mod maker. Vanilla doesn't have any tabs that need any scrolling.

PS. I can't replicate this, anyhow. To get a scrollbar on the Logistics tab, the one that has landfill in it, I have to set the window size to some really wide/thin ratio I would never actually play with - or set the interface gui scaling to beyond 250% on my monitor (4K). Either way, when I click on landfill to craft it, nothing scrolls anywhere.

Untitled.jpg
Certainly more tabs would help, MSI put all the train and vehicle related stuff in a separate tab which is a really good start. Actually this should just be in vanilla now that I think about. Well Maybe the popping back to the top is my machine or mouse then, still annoying though. Not sure about the Krastorio mod yet, I wanted a bit more stuff, but it might have gone a bit to far for me.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

My problem is with the tabs. The active tab should be lighter color. The inactive tabs should be darker. This is how most standard programs in windows work.

Optera
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Optera »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:13 pm
Wube could do the same as any other software and offer light (grey) and dark theme.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Optera wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:20 pm
The new one feels more strenuous to me as well.
Dark Themes are only less strenuous when there's a lack of ambient light, since I work and play in a well light room I have light themes mostly.

An option to revert to the old grey grids would be appreciated.
some games allow you to also tweak contrast, which would help here.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

At this point I play 0.18.12. Downloaded, unpacked it over a copy of 0.18.14, downgraded one mod, and I'm happy. Am checking back on 0.18.* to see if things improve, but I suspect I'll be .12 forever.

To the "Wube can't please everyone" I say: One size fits all was, is, and always will be bollocks. No-one demands that one size that pleases all.

Or let me be more blunt: how many people *DEMANDED* a darker style? How many users (not devs) wanted this change? "Wanted", not "accepted" and not even "welcomed".

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Bilka wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:33 pm
They look smaller in the "optical illusion" way. Our eyes/visual cortex isn't a exact measuring instrument. Same thing as, well, all the optical illusions you find circulating the net is at work here.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Optera wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:23 am

Wube could do the same as any other software and offer light (grey) and dark theme.
They could. Or they could not bother. None of the other 150 games in my library has themes.

The sense of entitlement on these forums is getting out of hand.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Light theme looks pretty funky

Return to “General discussion”