[0.17.79] Remove whack-a-mole mini-game from production graph (trigger warning: video may induce anxiety)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.79] Remove whack-a-mole mini-game from production graph (trigger warning: video may induce anxiety)

Post by JasonC »

Can we think of, then implement, some solution to make it easier to click on items (for filter enable/disable) in the production graph when their relative positions are rapidly changing?

The buttons are effectively constantly moving out from under the mouse and this is no good.

In most situations, temporarily selecting a longer time window stabilizes the relative orders enough that the buttons can be clicked, but for items whose averages are identical over long periods of time even this can become tricky. Here I am trying to select the research items (challenge: hold your breath while I click 6 buttons):

As you can see, that's categorically ridiculous.

My only idea is this: When the mouse is over the item area, just completely freeze all the reordering. That's it. That way, when you put the mouse there they stop moving around, then you can go in for the kill. When you move the mouse out of the area, reordering resumes.

I think that's pretty straightforward. You could possibly tighten up the "freeze" zone by limiting it to the area immediately around the buttons instead the whole thing, although this would still leave an edge case if items were jumping between columns (since on the way from the left column to the right they'd have a chance to reorder again). But maybe that's OK.

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.03 MiB) Viewed 1795 times

I like the larger option because it keeps things calm while you move the mouse between columns or use the scroll bar.
Last edited by JasonC on Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Remove whack-a-mole mini-game from production graph

Post by Nemo4809 »

Search filters would be nice too.

i.e. it weed out everything else that doesn't match the (partial) search string

beats hunting and pecking through the (fluctuating) list.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Remove whack-a-mole mini-game from production graph

Post by JasonC »

I accidentally watched the video I posted again and it gave me an anxiety attack. I should probably add a warning to the title of this post. :lol:
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Remove whack-a-mole mini-game from production graph (trigger warning: video may induce anxiety)

Post by MEOWMI »

This is an excellent edge case to demonstrate issues with the production window.

Maybe just a simple pause button? That would make it easier both to click on items and to read values off the list and graph. Feels like it would solve most if not all of the issues.

Your idea of freezing the view on mouseover could also work nicely.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Remove whack-a-mole mini-game from production graph (trigger warning: video may induce anxiety)

Post by JasonC »

Why is the production graph interface still a nightmare?

There's some good ideas in this thread, if I do say so myself.

I feel like that UI has been around long enough that it deserves a little bit of love, the buttons are fast-moving targets and it's been an issue for many years now, since at least 0.15 I believe, presumably earlier.

Thank god that video link is broken, I remember that video, it was just cruel to make people watch it, :lol:.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”