New Quickbar

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

CowsCiuvac
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

New Quickbar

Post by CowsCiuvac »

I personally liked the other quickbar, the old one. Many people have the same opinion, and we would really like the developers to change it back in future updates.

You can find a lot of posts on the forum about the toolbar and many of them are negative.

Noone seems to understand the new toolbar.

We would be very grateful if you devs could change it back! :D

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: New Quickbar

Post by wobbycarly »

CowsCiuvac wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:23 am
I personally liked the other quickbar, the old one. Many people have the same opinion, and we would really like the developers to change it back in future updates.
I disagree
You can find a lot of posts on the forum about the toolbar and many of them are negative.
Please provide evidence
Noone seems to understand the new toolbar.
I understand it. Please provide evidence to the contrary.
We would be very grateful if you devs could change it back! :D
Leave it as is.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

CowsCiuvac wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:23 am
I personally hated the other quickbar, the old one. Many people have the same opinion, and we would really like the developers to keep it how it is now.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

picklock
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by picklock »

I also like the new quickbar more than the old one. I also hope the developers will keep the new quickbar.
My Mods: Picklocks Fusion Power | Picklocks Inserter | Picklocks Lithium Polymer Accumulator | Picklocks rocket silo stats | Picklocks Set Inventory Filters

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

I had to relearn, it took it‘s time, but the new quickbar or hotbar provides effectively the same usage as the old, but without getting spammed by trash items and providing 10 bars rather then only two.
IMO it‘s superior compared to the old iteration.

Ranakastrasz
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Ranakastrasz »

The only complaint I have about the new quickbar is it's lack of intuition. Dragging shortcuts aroujd copys them instead or moving or swapping. The middle mouse button is default instead of right click. There is no longer an effect where new item types show up in the bar.

I am used to it, and I prefer it over the old one, but it is more flexable, not more user friendly. All and all, I think it made good and bad changes, such that it can do more, and got rid of a number of annoyances, but added new quirks that violate learned videogame intuition.
My Mods:
Modular Armor Revamp - V16
Large Chests - V16
Agent Orange - V16
Flare - V16
Easy Refineries - V16

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The quickbar lacks of a good game internal “how to use it”. Or “Tipps & Tricks”...
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by urza99814 »

Yeah, an option would be nice, although the changes are a bit more involved than that (it changed how the inventory works a bit too). I never got more than four buttons configured on mine; it's just so much easier to grab items from the main inventory now...

But any kind of quickbar automation would be fantastic...if not that then a way to hide the thing might be nice instead.

matt3224
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by matt3224 »

After using the new quickbar since release in the experimental branch and doing my best to like it i still even now find myself hopping into inventory a hell of a lot more than i used to.

Would be great to add an "Auto" row alongside the quickbar row numbers to auto assign based on usage.

I would love to have the best of both worlds

:D :idea:

Brbrmensch
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Brbrmensch »

the only problem i have with .17 bar is having to re-setup it every new game, what would really help is to make quick bar blueprint and store in in library

matt3224
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by matt3224 »

Jorn86
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Jorn86 »

The new quickbar is *much* better. The only improvement it might need is make it more obvious how to add, change and remove shortcuts. And perhaps a default setup that doesn't get cleared when you start a new game.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

My only real complaint is that the count of items in hand is still a stack and not the full count like in the toolbar. But that's not really a complaint about the toolbar itself.

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

I don't understand the intended usage of the Rotate active feature when 3 or more quickbars are active, which *needs* the addition of a "Reverse rotate quickbar" control.

Here is an idea I've had since the new quickbar was introduced.

Middle quickbar is always the active bar. X+scroll to rotate up and down quickbars.
quickbar rotate apple-style.png
quickbar rotate apple-style.png (8.7 KiB) Viewed 4643 times
Another potential feature would be Ctrl+scroll for 2 new controls, Next shortcut and Previous shortcut.

Itemfinder
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Itemfinder »

Fortunately, the pipette tool and Next/Previous active quickbar commands are fairly effective..

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

IMHO they should just make the quick bar like World of Warcraft’s.

Just about everyone figures it out pretty quickly.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Nemo4809 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:05 pm
Which is like what??

Nemo4809
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Nemo4809 »

ssilk wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:29 pm
Nemo4809 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:05 pm
Which is like what??
It's similar to the existing Quickbar but when you drop a replacement item onto a slot, it replaces what's in slot and your cursor now holds what was previously in the slot.

WoW's hotbar can also be locked to prevent accidental change to it when using it - you hold Shift to temporarily disable the lock, allowing you to move stuff around the hotbar.

It's a UI that many are familiar with - if only intuitively due to having played WoW.

PS: You can also place macros on the slots that allow you to have different behaviors when you left/right click - and or click with modifiers like Shift. But I don't know if you consider that a feature of the hotbars.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Well, let’s say it so: I agree, that the quick bar/shortcut and depending stuff still needs some devs-love. (I never can remember, which key combination clears a slot).
But I don’t think that it needs (again) a complete overhaul. The principal direction (alias to something) is right, but I would don’t distinct so much between items, shortcuts, macros and such stuff. Instead I would try to have one interface which is extremely fine tuned.

PumpkinVision
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by PumpkinVision »

What:
I just want to echo ItemFinder's suggestion that a reverse rotate active quickbars keybind would be helpful.
I would suggest Shift-X as the default hot key.

Why:
If you only have two quickbars, X will swap back and forth. But if you have 3 or more, they scroll. If the desired quickbar is just one scroll away in the reverse direction, we currently need to scroll in our single direction multiple times.
Basically this would simplify quickbar rotation in the same way that reverse rotate simplifies rotation (for belts and other placed items).

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”