[0.17.79] Inserters drop contents even when disabled (or unpowered)

Things that has been reported already before.
JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17.79] Inserters drop contents even when disabled (or unpowered)

Post by JasonC »

A disabled inserter that has an item in its hand will still let go of its contents and return to the home position even when it is disabled.

An example save file is attached (inserter_drop). To run it:
  1. There are two constant combinators towards the bottom. Momentarily enable the one on the left. This will cause the first train to move to the station, which will enable the inserter and load some items.
  2. After that train returns to its home, momentarily enable the combinator on the right. This will cause the second train to move to the station.
The configuration is such that the trains can only accept one stack of items (via cargo storage limit), and the inserter stack size is overridden to something that is not a factor of the item stack size. In this case the item is rocket fuel with a stack size of 10, and the inserter is set to grab 6 items at a time.

The inserter is only enabled for train A (train ID comparison). When train A arrives, the inserter does two drops of 6 items, filling a stack of 10 on the train and leaving 2 items in its hand. When train B arrives, the inserter remains disabled, but it still drops the 2 items into the train and returns home.

The expected behavior is for the inserter to do nothing when train B arrives.

Almost the same behavior is observed with unpowered inserters. See inserter_drop_power.zip. This example is used in the same way as the above except instead of enabling/disabling the inserter it turns its power on and off. This suffers from a similar issue: Even when unpowered, the inserter drops its contents into train B. The only difference here is the inserter does not return to home position when unpowered. The expected behavior, as with above, is for the inserter to do nothing when unpowered.

The test in both examples may be run again by just repeating the above process.

Note: Not interested in random neckbeards coming up with contrived justifications for why this makes sense or mansplaining why this happens: Imo, disabled / unpowered inserters should not take any actions, and it doesn't matter why they currently do.
Attachments
inserter_drop_power.zip
(2.59 MiB) Downloaded 81 times
inserter_drop.zip
(2.05 MiB) Downloaded 86 times
Last edited by JasonC on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Inserters drop contents even when disabled

Post by JasonC »

Loewchen wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67508
Thanks.

Note that my report also covers unpowered inserters, so that link is only half of it.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

JasonC wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:49 pm
Loewchen wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:50 pm
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=67508
Thanks.

Note that my report also covers unpowered inserters, so that link is only half of it.
welp, they moved it to "duplicates" but it may as well be in "Won't Fix".

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

ptx0 wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:22 pm
welp, they moved it to "duplicates" but it may as well be in "Won't Fix".
Even better, the original half is in "not a bug", right up there with broken gate sensors. :roll:

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.17.79] Inserters drop contents even when disabled (or unpowered)

Post by Rseding91 »

You can always play another game with the same mechanics if you disagree with how we decide what mechanics we want and what we don't want.

Oh wait, there isn't one :P
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:50 am
You can always play another game with the same mechanics if you disagree with how we decide what mechanics we want and what we don't want.

Oh wait, there isn't one :P
I'm happy to just keep being passive-aggressive on the forums. :P :lol:

At least I'm not on the IRC channel. Don't make me come over there.

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

An inserter doesn't check if it's disabled or not until it's ready to start its new loop.

That's (I assume) the way the programming in the game works, why is it so crazy to think that's how the programming of the actual inserters work?

I see the idea of powering them off stopping them instantly. That makes logical sense. But I don't personally think it's all that necessary if the devs don't see the need for it.

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:17 am
An inserter doesn't check if it's disabled or not until it's ready to start its new loop.

That's (I assume) the way the programming in the game works, why is it so crazy to think that's how the programming of the actual inserters work?
What's an "actual inserter"?

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

JasonC wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:52 am
5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:17 am

What's an "actual inserter"?
The physical items in the make believe universe your character lives in, as opposed to the digitized ones we see on our screens.

You know, the real ones.

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

5thHorseman wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:44 am
You know, the real ones.
Factorio's inserters are as realistic as flying pigs. And that is a good thing as real world inserters do not even have a fraction of that optical recognition power, that Factorio inserters exhibit.

Return to “Duplicates”