[0.18.6] Game autosave and console output autohide are coupled to game.speed

Bugs that are actually features.
movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

[0.18.6] Game autosave and console output autohide are coupled to game.speed

Post by movax20h »

It is rather annoying that if one sets game.speed=100 in editor, the game starts autosaving ever 5 seconds, and the console output is disappearing after a fraction of the second. I think both autosave and the console output hiding should be using real / wall clock time. With only exception autosave should not count real time when the game is paused.

Using Linux client.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.18.6] Game autosave and console output autohide are coupled to game.speed

Post by Deadlock989 »

movax20h wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 pm
It is rather annoying that if one sets game.speed=100 in editor
Garbage in, garbage out.

Just don't do that.

movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [0.18.6] Game autosave and console output autohide are coupled to game.speed

Post by movax20h »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:30 pm
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:23 pm
It is rather annoying that if one sets game.speed=100 in editor
Garbage in, garbage out.

Just don't do that.
I strongly disagree. The setting the menu for autosave is in minutes. Not ticks.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

*shrug* Your self-inflicted peeves are not automatically bugs.

movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by movax20h »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:32 pm
*shrug* Your self-inflicted peeves are not automatically bugs.
Your opinions doesn't make my opinions or preferences wrong either.

movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by movax20h »

Loewchen wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:40 pm
This does not describe a bug.
Could you elaborate? How is that not a bug?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 pm
The autosaves are baed on the game tick, which increments at a value based on the game speed

If you don't want an autosave every 5 seconds, increase your autosave interval

movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by movax20h »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:34 pm
Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:42 pm
The autosaves are baed on the game tick, which increments at a value based on the game speed

If you don't want an autosave every 5 seconds, increase your autosave interval
I do understand that it works the way it works, and understand the cause and effect. I even said that in the title of this bug report. What I am saying, I am not sure this is not what user usually intents to happen.

Changing (increasing) autosave interval feels like a workaround.

I use game.speed=100 just for a minute or so, mostly to test various builds and how they cope with balance / throughput, and not wait forever for this to happen on its own. So I do go between game.speed=100 (or 10) and back to game.speed=1 pretty often in the editor for testing purposes. However, if I change the autosave interval in the settings to lets say never, or every 1 hour, it is very likely I (or anybody else for the matter), I will forget to put it back to the previous usable value. That is not a nice user experience and is pretty annoying if you ask me.

Also, sorry for putting this in the same bug, but the second part about the auto hiding of the console output after a delay, similarly is unintuitive.

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm
What I am saying, I am not sure this is not what user usually intents to happen.

The second part about the auto hiding of the console output after a delay, similarly is unintuitive.
Unfortunately intent and intuitiveness are not the criteria for bughood

movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by movax20h »

Klonan wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:41 pm
Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:39 pm
What I am saying, I am not sure this is not what user usually intents to happen.

The second part about the auto hiding of the console output after a delay, similarly is unintuitive.
Unfortunately intent and intuitiveness are not the criteria for bughood
Hmm. I am pretty sure to some extent the intent being different than outcome is the definition of bug hood. If you have a function sum, is documented as returning a sum, and your expectation and calling it with intent of it to return a sum of two numbers, but it returns a difference, it is is a bug...

Just saying.

Is there some other way of speeding the game simulation, but leaving other aspects of the game interaction (UI, movement in editor, autosave, console autohide) unaffected? Would lack of such a feature be considered a deficiency? Or at least a feature request to be able to do it?

I doubt I will change your mind, I am just showing my perspective.

Thanks.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

LuaGameScript.autosave_enabled exists. So you could write a mod that detects "high" speed values and temporarily disables autosaving.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: ζ—₯本θͺž, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

movax20h
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by movax20h »

eradicator wrote: ↑
Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:17 pm
LuaGameScript.autosave_enabled exists. So you could write a mod that detects "high" speed values and temporarily disables autosaving.
Thanks that is helpful. I will try that.

Return to β€œNot a bug”