Make save game overwrites less dangerous

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

malventano
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Make save game overwrites less dangerous

Post by malventano »

Twinsen wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:49 pm
Nonetheless, in order to avoid problems, I added an overwrite confirmation in a few situations
  • if the selected save is saved in a newer version than what you are about to save
  • if the selected save has more playtime on it than what you are about to save
If the selected save has more than 5 hours of playtime on top of what you are about to save, the confirmation text will add an extra warning.
That’s an elegant way to address it, and should cover all of the related cases I’ve seen reported thus far. Thanks for taking the time to look at this one!

Edit - checked to see if this was in 0.18.2, and it doesn't appear to be. I'll reconfirm on 0.18.3.
Allyn Malventano
---
Want to improve fluid flow between pumps / across longer distances? Try my Manifolds mod.

Dev-iL
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dev-iL »

Mods - move to implemented suggestions?
Leading Hebrew translator of Factorio.

Ironhair
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ironhair »

Thank you for your perseverance, malventano

n_slash_a
Inserter
Inserter

Post by n_slash_a »

Twinsen wrote:
There are many reasons for the current behavior. Typically you are expected to save over your previous save to avoid file cluttering. If not, you will typically only change the last digit(s), e.g. no_spoon_playthough_try_2_3 - > no_spoon_playthough_try_2_4, so selecting your last save is preferred.

Also we really don't like treating the user like an idiot and confirming any possibly harmful action.

Nonetheless, in order to avoid problems, I added an overwrite confirmation in a few situations
  • if the selected save is saved in a newer version than what you are about to save
If the selected save has more than 5 hours of playtime on top of what you are about to save, the confirmation text will add an extra warning.
I like it! Very much in line with the current "exit the game" functionality.

One more use case possibly? If the selected save has a different map string than the current save.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

n_slash_a wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:15 pm
One more use case possibly? If the selected save has a different map string than the current save.
I didn't want to complicate the code too much. Version and playtime are in an easy to read header, so that made the implementation quite clean.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Twinsen wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:19 am
n_slash_a wrote:
I didn't want to complicate the code too much. Version and playtime are in an easy to read header, so that made the implementation quite clean.
If not the entire map exchange string, maybe only the map seed?

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

malventano wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:01 pm
Edit - checked to see if this was in 0.18.2, and it doesn't appear to be. I'll reconfirm on 0.18.3.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=80665

"Changes
Overwriting a save file will show a confirmation if the selected save has more playtime on it than what you are about to save."
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

n_slash_a
Inserter
Inserter

Post by n_slash_a »

Twinsen wrote:
n_slash_a wrote:
Understand, I figured the exchange string would have also been easy to access. Thanks much!

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

Twinsen wrote:
There are many reasons for the current behavior. Typically you are expected to save over your previous save to avoid file cluttering.
That's like expecting a camera to always overwrite the last photo taken since "who needs all those photos anyway amirite?"

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

Ambaire wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:50 am
Twinsen wrote:
There are many reasons for the current behavior. Typically you are expected to save over your previous save to avoid file cluttering.
That's like expecting a camera to always overwrite the last photo taken since "who needs all those photos anyway amirite?"
That's like expecting your software to always keep the previous version when doing an update. "who doesn't need all previous 157 builds amirite?"

Apples and oranges man.

MiniHerc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MiniHerc »

Twinsen wrote:
What about "if the selected save has a different map seed / exchange string than what you are about to save" ?

JasonC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JasonC »

Twinsen wrote:
n_slash_a wrote:
So, I have another case I'd like to see cause an overwrite prompt:

If the file you are saving as has a different name than the file the current map was loaded from / last saved as.

This would cover *all* of my misclicks and screwups.
Took a break from 0.12.29 to 0.17.79, and then to ... oh god now it's 1.something. I never know what's happening.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”