Multi-window / multi-monitor gaming

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Multi-window / multi-monitor gaming

Post by SkiCarver »

TL;DR

Allow all GUIs, map view and any other factorio internal windows (train view...) to be 'detachable' into separate o/s windows.

What

I would like the option for all guis (map mode, power window, player inventory .... ) to be detachable into a separate o/s window that can be arranged on the current monitor or moved onto any additional monitors.

Why

If any gui can be 'detached' into its own window, the windows can be arranged on the the users desktop at their discretion. For example, the map-mode window could be placed on a second monitor and left there to aid in navigation (like a gps). The power window can be left open so power can be monitored while the user is doing other things.
If the map mode can be left in a window, a user can monitor at a glance, the progress of bot construction of a blueprint.

The ability to separate windows would allow those of us who run multiple monitor to get the most from the game.

Perhaps it would be good for those on a multiplayer map, to have a permanent window following their friend who is helping them build something. If we have the option to tear off any gui, we can optimise the game in new and interesting ways.

Qon
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Multi-window / multi-monitor gaming

Post by Qon »

This sounds like an awesome idea. Currently my other monitor is broken but still, that seems really useful.

SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by SkiCarver »

Qon wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:39 am
This sounds like an awesome idea. Currently my other monitor is broken but still, that seems really useful.
Thanks ... and I agree!! :D

Being able to make use of whatever desktop real-estate you have, to display the game in the most efficient way for you ... ahhh bliss!!

The Locator
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by The Locator »

I would love to be able to keep the map open on all or part of my second monitor, that would be an awesome addition.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Blasphemy. If you have more screen space you should be using it to display more of the factory! And not boring menus.
Also they just did one GUI rewrite, i doubt they're up for another.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Yxen
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Yxen »

Qon wrote:
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:39 am
I agree as well. In other programs I often keep most of the "work area" on main monitor and use the second one for all navigators, overviews, toolbars, etc.

adamwong246
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by adamwong246 »

I love this idea but it seems like it will never happen in vanilla and can't be achieved through mods.

However, I am imagining something like the Reddit Enhancement Suite- a secondary program, outside the game or mods, that runs as a client to the main executables server.

Vixo4K
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Vixo4K »

This is what i've been waiting for ever since i played for the first time. I really hope this gets real.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

See also
viewtopic.php?f=80&t=25229 Use of Monitors (Dualscreen..., more than 60 FPS ...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”