[0.14] What is it used for?

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.14] What is it used for?

Post by Coppermine »

Thanks for the reports. I made the mistake (not for the first time) of testing in a new game but not in an existing game (because I didn't have an in-progress 0.18 game yet). With luck, this version should fix that crash.
What is it really used for? 1.5.3
  • Avoid crash in translation for ongoing game.
  • Rename text box to avoid potential name clash with other mods.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Squelch wrote: ↑
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:08 pm
If I may also make a feature request?

Please look into making the dialog float. As it currently stands, it is center screen and cannot be moved out of the way and still refer to while planning layouts.
I wasn't even aware that this was possible, but I see Helmod does it. Thanks for making me aware. Will look into it.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Thanks for the quick fix. - I can confirm things are working normally again.

I was still in the same session on 1.5.0 so didn't see the error until @otakushowboat flagged it. I had been investigating myself and following the debate(s) on locale lists and the new request_translation(localised_string) and on_string_translated as you updated just now. I was almost there with identifying the problem :)
Coppermine wrote: ↑
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:47 am
I wasn't even aware that this was possible, but I see Helmod does it. Thanks for making me aware. Will look into it.
Excellent, and thank you.

[Edit] TIL - don't use square brackets for alternative spellings. [ s ] will strike

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

What is it really used for? 1.5.4
  • Window is now draggable.
  • Slightly faster translation implementation.
  • Handle recipes with multiple unlocking techs better.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Has anyone tried 1.5.3+ in a multiplayer game yet? I'm curious to know whether the new search feature causes any performance problems. It would probably only happen the first time any player performs a search.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

hey so ive been using the newest version of wiiruf and noticed its very off center even on this smallish monitor i use. if instead of setting the location of the gui you use

Code: Select all

main_frame.force_auto_center()
it forces it to the center of the screen or at least a lot closer to where the old version was.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

What is it really used for? 1.5.5
  • Avoid crash when attempting to translate unlocalized strings.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

kingarthur wrote: ↑
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:55 am
hey so ive been using the newest version of wiiruf and noticed its very off center even on this smallish monitor i use. if instead of setting the location of the gui you use

it forces it to the center of the screen or at least a lot closer to where the old version was.
Do you significantly prefer it in the center? I think it makes sense to be more top-left, and you should only need to move the window to the middle of the screen once per game to have it where you want. Is the new window dragging working for you?

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:19 am
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:55 am

Do you significantly prefer it in the center? I think it makes sense to be more top-left, and you should only need to move the window to the middle of the screen once per game to have it where you want. Is the new window dragging working for you?
window dragging is working. i kind of prefer it centered as the left gets cluttered with a bunch of stuff from other mods. i hadnt noticed if it locks in place as ive been working on my own stuff and restarting a lot. if it does stay where its put then it its not really an issue as it would only really be a problem when im actually playing.

TwentyEighty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TwentyEighty »

Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:51 am
Has anyone tried 1.5.3+ in a multiplayer game yet? I'm curious to know whether the new search feature causes any performance problems. It would probably only happen the first time any player performs a search.
I haven't noticed anything weird in MP

But we did notice this crash

48173.729 Info AppManager.cpp:288: Saving to _autosave2 (blocking).
48177.740 Info AppManagerStates.cpp:1843: Saving finished
48523.645 Script @__helmod__/gui/GuiCell.lua:615: final
48525.777 Script @__helmod__/gui/GuiCell.lua:615: final
48633.030 Error MainLoop.cpp:1202: Exception at tick 40634952: The mod What is it really used for? caused a non-recoverable error.
Please report this error to the mod author.

Error while running event what-is-it-really-used-for::on_gui_click (ID 1)
Can't destroy root element
stack traceback:
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:812: in function <__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:778>
stack traceback:
        [C]: in function 'destroy'
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:812: in function <__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:778>
48633.033 Error ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:92: MultiplayerManager failed: "The mod What is it really used for? caused a non-recoverable error.

stack traceback:
stack traceback:
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:812: in function <__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:778>"
48633.037 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:773: updateTick(40634952) changing state from(InGame) to(Failed)
48633.038 Quitting: multiplayer error.
48633.687 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:138: Quitting multiplayer connection.
48633.688 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:773: updateTick(4294967295) changing state from(Failed) to(Closed)
48633.731 Info HttpSharedState.cpp:54: Downloading https://multiplayer.factorio.com/remove-game/6814032
48633.762 Info UDPSocket.cpp:218: Closing socket
48633.764 Info UDPSocket.cpp:248: Socket closed
48633.770 Info UDPSocket.cpp:218: Closing socket
48633.887 Info UDPSocket.cpp:218: Closing socket
I don't think it's MP related though.

@kingarthur:
"I clicked the big x to close the pinned items and instantly crashed"

@Sopel:
"i can confirm this exact same crash happend to me some time ago
it's reproducible"

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

TwentyEighty wrote: ↑
Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:22 pm
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:51 am
I haven't noticed anything weird in MP

But we did notice this crash

48173.729 Info AppManager.cpp:288: Saving to _autosave2 (blocking).
48177.740 Info AppManagerStates.cpp:1843: Saving finished
48523.645 Script @__helmod__/gui/GuiCell.lua:615: final
48525.777 Script @__helmod__/gui/GuiCell.lua:615: final
48633.030 Error MainLoop.cpp:1202: Exception at tick 40634952: The mod What is it really used for? caused a non-recoverable error.

stack traceback:
stack traceback:
48633.033 Error ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:92: MultiplayerManager failed: "The mod What is it really used for? caused a non-recoverable error.

stack traceback:
stack traceback:
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:812: in function <__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:778>"
48633.037 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:773: updateTick(40634952) changing state from(InGame) to(Failed)
48633.038 Quitting: multiplayer error.
48633.687 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:138: Quitting multiplayer connection.
48633.688 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:773: updateTick(4294967295) changing state from(Failed) to(Closed)
48633.731 Info HttpSharedState.cpp:54: Downloading https://multiplayer.factorio.com/remove-game/6814032
48633.762 Info UDPSocket.cpp:218: Closing socket
48633.764 Info UDPSocket.cpp:248: Socket closed
48633.770 Info UDPSocket.cpp:218: Closing socket
48633.887 Info UDPSocket.cpp:218: Closing socket
I don't think it's MP related though.

@kingarthur:
"I clicked the big x to close the pinned items and instantly crashed"

@Sopel:
"i can confirm this exact same crash happend to me some time ago
it's reproducible"
I also get disconnected anytime I search anything in multiplayer. As soon as I get 2 letters into the box and it starts I can no longer move and are a short time it tells me I've disconnected from the server.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:32 pm
I also get disconnected anytime I search anything in multiplayer. As soon as I get 2 letters into the box and it starts I can no longer move and are a short time it tells me I've disconnected from the server.
Interesting. Curious that some people have no problems, but your problems are so serious. I'd have expected things to fall somewhere in the middle, where there was lag, but not a total disconnection.

Do you happen to use Helmod in the same MP game? I believe it uses a very similar approach to wiiruf for the locale strings, and I'm wondering whether you see similar symptoms there?

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:06 am
Interesting. Curious that some people have no problems, but your problems are so serious. I'd have expected things to fall somewhere in the middle, where there was lag, but not a total disconnection.

Do you happen to use Helmod in the same MP game? I believe it uses a very similar approach to wiiruf for the locale strings, and I'm wondering whether you see similar symptoms there?
We do and helmod is like just completely broken. It cant find anything with translated string. Wiiruf works I just get disconnected and it's there when I reconnect.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 am

We do and helmod is like just completely broken. It cant find anything with translated string. Wiiruf works I just get disconnected and it's there when I reconnect.
It probably takes too long and you can't catch up before the server kicks you for being to slow.

I know helmod already freezes in earlier versions. Searching through translated strings can't be faster.

Coppermine
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Coppermine »

What is it really used for? 1.5.5
  • Avoid crash on closing minimized panel.
  • Rate-limit translation requests.
TwentyEighty: This should fix the crash you reported.

kingarthur: I've limited the translation requests (rather crudely) to 100 per keypress (a heavily modded game has >1000 things to translate, so this could reduce the amount of network traffic by an order of magnitude). Please let me know if that has any effect on the disconnection issue when searching in multiplayer.

TwentyEighty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TwentyEighty »

Helmod drops you if you ever actually run the translations. Factory planner has the same issues. Just Factorio things.

Thanks for the fix!

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:17 am

same thing here and the users getting disconnected have decent fibre connection with 13ms ping to the server - oddly enough I never get disconnected when this happens despite having a shitty connection and the same CPU as another who does.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

The broader question might be - Why does operating an informational GUI clientside need so much network traffic when all of the information is available clientside and verified upon connection already? Perhaps we need a "don't sync gamestate with server" exception when informational clientside GUI's are used?

On topic: I'm loving the recent changes, and wiiruf is my go to mod based on its simplicity alone. Keep up the good work.

ptx0
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by ptx0 »

Squelch wrote: ↑
Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:54 am
The broader question might be - Why does operating an informational GUI clientside need so much network traffic when all of the information is available clientside and verified upon connection already? Perhaps we need a "don't sync gamestate with server" exception when informational clientside GUI's are used?
oft-given answers from Wube developers:

a) it's too hard

b) it'll break everything

c) it works exactly as you want it to without even realising it, already

d) we don't think it's worth looking into
d1) it doesn't happen in vanilla
d2) not something i'm willing to support

TwentyEighty
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by TwentyEighty »

Got this in 1.5.6

117.615 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:921: updateTick(46391229) received stateChanged peerID(1) oldState(TryingToCatchUp) newState(WaitingForCommandToStartSendingTickClosures)
 117.616 Info GameActionHandler.cpp:4189: UpdateTick (46391229) processed PlayerJoinGame peerID(1) playerIndex(0) mode(connect)
 118.648 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:921: updateTick(46391232) received stateChanged peerID(1) oldState(WaitingForCommandToStartSendingTickClosures) newState(InGame)
 144.116 Error MainLoop.cpp:1202: Exception at tick 46392665: The mod What is it really used for? caused a non-recoverable error.

Error while running event what-is-it-really-used-for::on_string_translated (ID 147)
__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:1030: attempt to index local 'translations' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:1030: in function <__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:1027>
 144.119 Error ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:92: MultiplayerManager failed: "The mod What is it really used for? caused a non-recoverable error.

Error while running event what-is-it-really-used-for::on_string_translated (ID 147)
__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:1030: attempt to index local 'translations' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
        __what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:1030: in function <__what-is-it-really-used-for__/control.lua:1027>"
 144.121 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:773: updateTick(46392665) changing state from(InGame) to(Failed)
 144.132 Quitting: multiplayer error.
 144.759 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:138: Quitting multiplayer connection.
 144.760 Info ServerMultiplayerManager.cpp:773: updateTick(4294967295) changing state from(Failed) to(Closed)
FULL DISCLOSURE: This only happens when running an unreleased (so far) version of helmod from Helfima located here ehttps://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/676797589659713586/677997589559246848/helmod_0.10.3.zip

I don't know if it's doing something wrong or not, but WIRUF should hopefully not crash. It works fine when WIRUF is disabled. Just FYI, thanks

Return to β€œMods”