Wall and cliff angst

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

stootachtig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Wall and cliff angst

Post by stootachtig »

TL;DR
A visual connection between walls and cliffs to make sure you (or bugs) can't walk past it.

What ?
Just started up a new game to see what has changed in the recent half a year or so. I'm still using cliffs to aid in my defence. No need to waste more stone and turrets to defend some areas is nice. What isn't nice is that often whenI build a wall adjacent to a cliff, there's a gap. and I want this wall to be solid so every time I walk into the gap just to make 100% sure that the gap is only visual and not an actual gap.

My suggestion would be to make the cliff and wall connect in some way, to show that there's no way bugs (or you) can get through. See also the two attachments for examples.
Why ?
So that I don't have to check and recheck every time I walk past a wall and cliff interaction to see if I did it right. For new players it might be confusing as well. I got 200 hours in this game, I should know better. But it would be even better if I didn't have to think about it at all. :D
Attachments
screenshot2factorio.png
screenshot2factorio.png (3.38 MiB) Viewed 2287 times
screenshot1factorio.png
screenshot1factorio.png (2.59 MiB) Viewed 2287 times

noliVe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Wall and cliff angst

Post by noliVe »

interaction between these walls and cliffs , nice idea. a smooth fusion with no gaps.
thanks for bringing that up

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

So even when it "connects" to the cliff like in the second pic, there can be a gap? I use terrain for defense very frequently but I forget if I checked for that.

I do know that sometimes even when I bring the wall as close to a cliff as possible, there ends up technically being a gap there. This happens with water bodies as well, but with them there is never the "connecting" effect that cliffs will sometimes create when placing walls.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

But that's a good point. Walls that end in water should maybe be shown to reach into the water, maybe even some submereged part visible.

Ranger_Aurelien
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ranger_Aurelien »

Hmm.... Is there a mod that lets you ADD cliffs? I haven't seen one. Mostly just ones that modify cliff explosives:

https://mods.factorio.com/query/cliff?version=0.17

I ask as it's one of two things biters can't cross (the other being vanilla water).
-
Ranger Aurelien
"Knowledge Brings Fear" -- Motto of Mars University, Futurama

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

Ranger_Aurelien wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:11 pm
Hmm.... Is there a mod that lets you ADD cliffs?
/editor

stootachtig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by stootachtig »

MEOWMI wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:52 am
So even when it "connects" to the cliff like in the second pic, there can be a gap? I use terrain for defense very frequently but I forget if I checked for that.

I do know that sometimes even when I bring the wall as close to a cliff as possible, there ends up technically being a gap there. This happens with water bodies as well, but with them there is never the "connecting" effect that cliffs will sometimes create when placing walls.
All the walls in the picture actually have no gaps that you can run through, they just look like they do. It is even more annoying if there actually is a gap you can't fill, but I can't remember really encountering that.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”