[0.17.79] Splitters not splitting items evenly

Bugs that are actually features.
Neutrality
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

[0.17.79] Splitters not splitting items evenly

Post by Neutrality »

I'm seeing that splitters aren't outputting items evenly from both sides. If I remove a transport belt from the output belts, then they mix fairly evenly, but if I restore it, it goes back to non-mixed (but possibly in different lanes). In the picture below, none of the splitters have filters.
screenshot-tick-3092967.jpg
screenshot-tick-3092967.jpg (768.89 KiB) Viewed 1617 times

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: [0.17.79] Splitters not splitting items evenly

Post by Olacken »

It split them evenly it is just that it split indifferently of the item type.
Spliting is not mixing.

Edit: I could even explain you why it is like that if you wanted just too long if you are not interested

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

In short, you need to make belt half empty (or 2/3 empty) first to be able to add different items on it. Then it will look like mixing, but it's not. It's merging.

boskid
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by boskid »

Not a bug

If output belts would be required to be always mixed (as in: items are taken from both input belts alternating), if output belts would be accidentaly synchronized, splitter would be required to take 2 items from first input belt, wait, and then take 2 items from second input belt. Splitter does not have that much buffer and so it will simply take items from whatever input lane has some items to be used. That means if both output belts are moving, items are not by any means guaranteed to be mixed.

You can build larger contraption that would guarantee mixing simply by using 4 splitters - this would mix 2 belts into 2 belts.

Neutrality
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Neutrality »

Ok, I guess I had a misunderstanding then. I thought that each lane would deliberately alternate which splitter side it took from at any speed, even in the event that it had full streams coming from both inputs, but it sounds like that isn't the case.

Return to “Not a bug”