Let the car and tank move like the player (omnidirectional wheels)

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Let the car and tank move like the player (omnidirectional wheels)

Post by varundevan »

Hi,
The navigation in car is super clunky to drive since especially turning left and right is changes with direction of movement.
In my opinion the current driving method is not enjoyable. looks like it is better to run with exoskeleton than driving in the car.
I would suggest a all directional movement car with MECANUM WHEELS that can move how a player moves. I believe this makes the navigation easier, and will be more useful and fun to combat alien nests from the vehicle.

how about an electric car with MECANUM WHEELS, that runs on fusion reactor :geek:
Last edited by varundevan on Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Let the car and tank move like the player does

Post by azesmbog »

... or make control of the movement of the tank and the car on reassignable keys, or the trigger - "move like a player." Due to the inconvenient (for me) control, I drove a car and a tank for no more than an hour. In my defense, I can say that in the no less great game “Vangers” I drove many hundreds of hours on the surface of different planets with adequate control of the machine.

Kyralessa
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Kyralessa »

So this would make the car move up if you press up, and down if you press down, and left if you press left, and so forth?

Like how you drive a car in, say, Lego Star Wars?

I find that totally unintuitive, and I hope they won't do it.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I bet you'll be able to do that with :
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

Kyralessa wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:17 pm
So this would make the car move up if you press up, and down if you press down, and left if you press left, and so forth?

Like how you drive a car in, say, Lego Star Wars?

I find that totally unintuitive, and I hope they won't do it.
I cannot say, the current setup is intuitive. Intuitive is making the map to rotate (change orientation) according to direction of movement of the car. I think they won't do that ( this may cause new problems).
So , i thought making a MECANUM WHEEL car makes much more sense to me.

it is certainly not fun to drive around in that manner (like how it is now). Do you enjoy it ?
i believe there is not lot of people who enjoys, so requesting a change.
i hope developers notice this.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:32 pm
I bet you'll be able to do that with :
:lol:
is that a MOD ?

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Electric car with MECANUM WHEELS and fusion reactor

Post by varundevan »

Hi,

The navigation in car is clunky to drive since especially turning left and right is changes with direction of movement.
In my opinion the current driving method is not enjoyable. looks like it is better to run with exoskeleton than driving in the car.
I would suggest a all directional movement car with MECANUM WHEELS that can move how a player moves. I believe this makes the navigation easier, and will be more useful and fun to combat alien nests from the vehicle.

How about an electric car with MECANUM WHEELS, that runs on fusion reactor :geek:

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

An "official" feature we keep waiting for :
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-120

----

I like variety, and that the car handles in a way quite different from the character, the tank, the train...
This is also common way to control cars in 2D games, see GTA for instance.

IMHO the main issues with car are :
- The ones "fixed" by Cardinal or Vehicle Snap. (Factorio isn't primarily a vehicle driving game , it's nice to be able to concentrate on something else than trying to keep a perfect angle...)
- The ones involving cliffs having bigger collision boxes than they look to have.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:02 pm
An "official" feature we keep waiting for :
https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-120

----

I like variety, and that the car handles in a way quite different from the character, the tank, the train...
This is also common way to control cars in 2D games, see GTA for instance.

IMHO the main issues with car are :
- The ones "fixed" by Cardinal or Vehicle Snap. (Factorio isn't primarily a vehicle driving game , it's nice to be able to concentrate on something else than trying to keep a perfect angle...)
- The ones involving cliffs having bigger collision boxes than they look to have.
it is great that you liked it.
but it can be improved IMHO. how about a wheel upgrade research, so those who want can do it. :|
if there is a car and a tank lying around, and if it is very hard to use, it is so bothering :(
in many game play videos , i have seen very few using the car , and if they use they were never able to navigate good enough to avoid even tress...

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

azesmbog wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:14 am
... or make control of the movement of the tank and the car on reassignable keys, or the trigger - "move like a player." Due to the inconvenient (for me) control, I drove a car and a tank for no more than an hour. In my defense, I can say that in the no less great game “Vangers” I drove many hundreds of hours on the surface of different planets with adequate control of the machine.
it is hard to navigate good enough to avoid even tress... and all you get is a damaged car instead of getting to the destination

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

varundevan wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:24 pm
it is hard to navigate good enough to avoid even tress... and all you get is a damaged car instead of getting to the destination
May I recommend Autodrive?
Bounce Crashing

Cars bounce backward a bit after a crash which usually leaves enough clearance to re-path. You might have seen this behaviour in other RTS games. They also auto-heal themselves and the other entity a bit. :-)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

This mod looks great ! :D

Thankfully, a few trees can be dealt with in vanilla car just pressing on the gasoline pedal !
Rocks on the other hand... (And god forbid you are fleeing biters !)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:12 pm
This mod looks great ! :D
It's not quite as I'd wish, though. The train sensor is dangerous -- don't park too close to rail tracks, or the car might wake up to a passing train, try to avoid it, crash into obstacles at full speed and get smashed to pieces. I haven't figured out a solution yet, but I'm working on it (as mod collaborator). Apart from that, driving a car never has been easier: hop into a car, click somewhere on the ground (also in map view) with the radio control, and you should get there without having to worry about rocks or trees …

Pro tip: If you want to clean some big nests, rocks may still obstruct you while running into trees will completely restore the vehicle's health. Good thing if you've been spit at and the biters are coming for you! :-D
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

Pi-C wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:20 pm
varundevan wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:24 pm
May I recommend Autodrive?
Bounce Crashing

Cars bounce backward a bit after a crash which usually leaves enough clearance to re-path. You might have seen this behaviour in other RTS games. They also auto-heal themselves and the other entity a bit. :-)
thank you for the suggestion , but i don't use mods ..
i like to play the original ..
thanks anyways

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I agree the automobile should steer like the player. It's so quirky for me to keep going in the same direction when jumping out of the automobile.

Olacken
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Electric car with MECANUM WHEELS and fusion reactor

Post by Olacken »

You mean like a Spidertron?

Deltasig
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Deltasig »

Agreed. The current driving is clunky and could perhaps use some technology upgrades to allow it to move in a different pattern much like the player. I can't tell you the number of times I've hit a building because the car wasn't steering the way I wanted it to.

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

Olacken wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:24 pm
You mean like a Spidertron?
i saw the idea of spidertron , which is nice .. yes sort of like the spider tron ..
but the problem with the existing car navigation is clunky

varundevan
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by varundevan »

Deltasig wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:26 pm
Agreed. The current driving is clunky and could perhaps use some technology upgrades to allow it to move in a different pattern much like the player. I can't tell you the number of times I've hit a building because the car wasn't steering the way I wanted it to.
so true ...
i was also thinking the same ... a research to upgrade to mecanum wheels .. may be :ugeek:

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”