[0.18.0] Worm targeting system when lagging

Bugs that are actually features.
AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.18.0] Worm targeting system when lagging

Post by AntiElitz »

Not sure this is a bug or why it does behave like this:

Here i do the worms dance to dodge it's projectiles.
https://clips.twitch.tv/CrackyPoisedEggplantBudStar
Note that I do hold down a all the time, while tapping d additionally. because of key priority there is never any time where no running direction is pressed.

This is in Biter battles where a very heavy scenario script is running causing lag spikes like the one in the video. However my client is faster than the server and that way i should never miss a frame. In this case the worm hits me as if i was standing still even though a running direction was consistently held.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.18.0] Worm targeting system when lagging

Post by Rseding91 »

Thanks for the report. That's working correctly: when you lag on the server the game stops your character from moving for the duration of your lag spike. Because you don't move the worm shoots directly at you and that's how that works.

It does that otherwise you would visually jump around during lag spikes or latency changing which makes for a lot worse experience.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

I understand that. However, everyone including the server is lagging. So should that just pause the game for everyone?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

I am not multiplayer programmer and am rusty on how our multiplayer works, so I might be completely wrong - I think client can't start update server hasn't finished yet, so what happens is that the server hits the script update spike, clients catch up with server and wait for it to finish next update, server finishes, then clients hit she script update spike and then from server's perspective everybody is in a massive lag.

In the video you can see the worm starting its attacking animation, the game freezes and when it unfroze the worm jumps to the middle of the attacking animation. That to me indicates server was running updates while you were processing the update spike and when you finished, the game saw the server was already way ahead, so it ran several updates in row to catch up with it.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

True. That makes sense. But not sure if that is a good way to handle thatz then hmnn...

Return to “Not a bug”