[0.17+] Space Exploration WIP

Topics and discussion about specific mods
Game4Lols
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [0.17+] Space Exploration WIP

Post by Game4Lols »

Dunno if this is the right place to put this, but I've been testing out some ships in god mode and using the antimatter engines. I've been able to get to speeds over 200 using them, but no amount of laser turrets seems to be able to defend the ship, they all just target a meteor and shoot it a heartbeat later, at which point it's wither behind the ship or hit the ship. I can't seem to use antimatter engines and defend my ship for more than 5 seconds at a time. Is there some sort of modded turret I could use that locks onto targets faster? Or am I just doing something wrong (Are laser turrets just useless at that speed)?

Pestus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pestus »

Game4Lols wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:50 am
Dunno if this is the right place to put this, but I've been testing out some ships in god mode and using the antimatter engines. I've been able to get to speeds over 200 using them, but no amount of laser turrets seems to be able to defend the ship, they all just target a meteor and shoot it a heartbeat later, at which point it's wither behind the ship or hit the ship. I can't seem to use antimatter engines and defend my ship for more than 5 seconds at a time. Is there some sort of modded turret I could use that locks onto targets faster? Or am I just doing something wrong (Are laser turrets just useless at that speed)?
Hmm. You're further along than we are. We are still using rocket fuel engines. However we found similar problems. First off the lasers would slow the ship down due to power satisfaction. So we doubled up the generators. (Going nuclear would have likely worked too) Then we doubled the engines... we found the lasers couldn't keep up... so we redesigned the ship to be narrow so its affected cross section needs less lasers to cover it's width. It helped but not enough. Then we swapped the lasers for depleted uranium rounds.

The combination of an "aerodynamic" body, and uranium rounds which have less range but far more damage has meant the ship doesnt slow down, can defend itself, and theres virtually no power load save for a few inserters. Our little garbage scow interplanetary ship is thus adequate.

I wouldn't know what to say about an antimatter engine, but maybe some of these design ideas might help.

Goodluck.

yanivger
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by yanivger »

i played space exploration few hour and setup all 4 2nd tier space science (astronomic, material, energy, biological) on astroid field and i'm mining iron ore, copper ore ,stone, ice water ,methene ice , and i'm recycling all scrap , and still i need to import all liquids barrels , like 4K wood every time and coal.
is there a way to setup space factory in a way that i won't have to export stuff anymore? or its meant to be like that? mybe with biomass /biosludge/bioculture/experimental biomass combo? i'm just not good at math

cybersol
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cybersol »

yanivger wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:33 pm
is there a way to setup space factory in a way that i won't have to export stuff anymore? or its meant to be like that? mybe with biomass /biosludge/bioculture/experimental biomass combo? i'm just not good at math
You're way ahead of me, but a basic biosludge loop is mentioned in the wiki, and I tortured factory planner mod until I got it worked out. Mine is:
2 biochem labs - biosludge from biomass
6 growth facility - biomass
<1 genetics lab - bioculture
2 biochem labs - nutrient vat
<<1 manufactory - chemical gel
<<1 genetics lab - genetic data
<1 decontamination facility - cosmic water decontamination
<1 decontamination facility - biosludge decontamination
Loop needs a bit of cosmic water, methane gas, and petro gas, as well as some iron and trace amounts of data cards. Most everything should be available in the asteroid field. My field is now mostly self-sufficient, except I will always need coal for plastic or to import plastic based products as far as I can tell. In the biosludge loop plastic is only needed for the data cards.

Azhrei_
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Azhrei_ »

So I have been messing around with the mod but I cant figure out how to use the life support canisters. Could somebody please tell me how to use them?

Game4Lols
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Game4Lols »

Pretty sure they’re just used to craft the spacesuits atm. I’ve been in space a few times now without anything more than a spacesuit

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

So i thinking about playing Space exploration....

But i have a map with significant progress (even made around 100K SpaceScience) plus some ohter mods (part QOL some changes) and i want to ask is it possible (advised) to make this mod atop or is it better to start a whole new map from scratch ??

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

So now i visited the orbiting platform udn set up the research.....

So there are some questions....

except the space assembler und manufacturer all assemblers and such are only made in the maufacturer...
There is the question are theses additional assemblers placeable only in space ?

How do then do one lift fluids into orbit (only possibilty i see is via barrels; but this could not be real ? ) ?

Pestus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pestus »

nosports wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 12:06 pm
So i thinking about playing Space exploration....

But i have a map with significant progress (even made around 100K SpaceScience) plus some ohter mods (part QOL some changes) and i want to ask is it possible (advised) to make this mod atop or is it better to start a whole new map from scratch ??
Recipes change, is the main problem. Large sections of your factory will need rebuilding. A bunch more intermediaries to deal with too.

Load it up and see how things break.

Pestus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pestus »

nosports wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:55 pm
So now i visited the orbiting platform udn set up the research.....

So there are some questions....

except the space assembler und manufacturer all assemblers and such are only made in the maufacturer...
There is the question are theses additional assemblers placeable only in space ?

How do then do one lift fluids into orbit (only possibilty i see is via barrels; but this could not be real ? ) ?
Most of the big space buildings are space only. Ive noticed a few though that can be placed on worlds so long as its on spaceship floor. I suspect this is because the game allows for spaceship based manufacturing.

Barrels only for cargo ships. However the mod maker allowed the recycling facility to break down barrels back into steel. Using this, it doubles as a means of sending up steel.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

thanks for the answer - in the meanwhile i did played with.... were some changes but not much of it....

Never thought of using steel barrels as a source for steel - but yes.
But still i would found it more fitting to use the existing tank from the rockets instead of barrels....

Pestus
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Pestus »

nosports wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:27 am
thanks for the answer - in the meanwhile i did played with.... were some changes but not much of it....

Never thought of using steel barrels as a source for steel - but yes.
But still i would found it more fitting to use the existing tank from the rockets instead of barrels....
Not sure why this was done like this, but I suspect it was because it might have been complicated to write... He already wrote the fluid mechanic for fuel, but then he'd also have to block off inventory slots when cargo fuel is added or a game balance issue would exist. Maybe a secondary storage that only holds fluid and take it or leave it would also work.

Rehpic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Rehpic »

It looks like there was some collaboration between the developers of Space Exploration and RSO about 6 or 7 months ago, but I can't find anything confirming whether compatibility was achieved. Does anyone know if the two work together now?

Thanks.

Rehpic
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Rehpic »

Rehpic wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:22 am
It looks like there was some collaboration between the developers of Space Exploration and RSO about 6 or 7 months ago, but I can't find anything confirming whether compatibility was achieved. Does anyone know if the two work together now?

Thanks.
Nevermind. I see the "Incompatible with RSO" in the factorio mod window.

Roy
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Roy »

Why did you set the mining_speed of the god controller to be 0.0000001?
miningSpeed.png
miningSpeed.png (20.77 KiB) Viewed 8034 times

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

Roy wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:19 pm
Why did you set the mining_speed of the god controller to be 0.0000001?
That's so that in Nav mode you cannot actually 'mine' a building to pick it up and place it somewhere else.

HenryFrood
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by HenryFrood »

Has anyone made this mod work with 0.18?

ZombieMooose
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ZombieMooose »

HenryFrood wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:17 pm
Has anyone made this mod work with 0.18?
Do you mean has Earendel updated for 0.18? Yes
"men will literally learn everything about ancient Rome instead of going to therapy"

TuTurambar
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by TuTurambar »

Love this mod <3

Is there a way to easily explore a planet, including Nauvis? Like an improved radar, or maybe a special satellite which would reveal the whole planet map after being launched.

leitk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by leitk »

Exploring a whole planet adds a lot to the save file, so it isn't automatic. But Nav view (unlocked after launching a navigation satellite) will let you explore any planet you've discovered fairly easily.

Return to “Mods”