Set all Requester Chests to "Request From Buffer Chests"?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Set all Requester Chests to "Request From Buffer Chests"?

Post by GlassDeviant »

Is there a way to set every Requester Chest on a map to "Request From Buffer Chests", either in the base game or a mod?

Also would be great if the box was ticked by default on newly placed Requester Chests and Angel's Requester Warehouses.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

astroshak
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Set all Requester Chests to "Request From Buffer Chests"?

Post by astroshak »

Buffer chests are kind of an odd thing. They mix aspects of Requestor and Passive Provider chests, while not really accomplishing the purpose of either of those chests.

Honestly, they don’t really have all that much of a use, imo. I tend to have a mall that outputs to Steel Chests, and once I start developing the Logistics Network, those Steel Chests become Storage Chests, with that particular item being the filter. This usually makes my Rail Signals only exist in that one Storage Chest, unless somehow I take too many and there is not enough free space in that Storage Chest for what I dump back into the system.

The intent behind them was that you would have a large bot network, and be planning to build something far from the mall area. Put down a Buffer chest, request the things that you’re going to need to build the things, and when your base bots start building, they’re supposed to draw upon that nearby Buffer Chest rather than the Passive Providers/Storage Chests/whatever you have in the fabrication area.

That runs counter to the idea that smaller, discrete Logistics Networks are better (more efficient and more effective) than one large Logistics Network covering the entire factory+outposts.

I tend not to use Buffer Chests anywhere. Storage Chests in the mall, Passive Providers almost everywhere else to put items into the bot network, Requestors everywhere, and an Active Provider for my spent nuclear fuel recovery efforts. Some extra (non-filtered) Storage Chests near the Mall, and a non-filtered Storage Chest at one of the train stations associated with each outpost, for picking up the wood, stone, and coalremoved from the map for construction, and taking it back to base for processing. The drop off station also has Active Providers, to ensure that the stuff gets shoved off to processing rather than sitting around in the station.

quyxkh
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by quyxkh »

To place things with particular settings, set one up the way you like then blueprint it. You can overwrite settings (and add wiring) by building a blueprint on top of matching existing entities, no robots needed.

To do a global replace takes setting one of them up correctly then using a console command to copy that to all items with the same name, set up your item, hover the mouse over it, bring up the console, and

Code: Select all

/c x=game.player.selected for k,v in pairs(game.player.surface.find_entities_filtered{name=x.name}) do v.copy_settings(x) end
edit: added the `pairs`, duh. apologies for any frustration that goof caused.
Last edited by quyxkh on Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

quyxkh wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:47 am
To place things with particular settings, set one up the way you like then blueprint it. You can overwrite settings (and add wiring) by building a blueprint on top of matching existing entities, no robots needed.

To do a global replace takes setting one of them up correctly then using a console command to copy that to all items with the same name, set up your item, hover the mouse over it, bring up the console, and

Code: Select all

/c x=game.player.selected for k,v in game.player.surface.find_entities_filtered{name=x.name} do v.copy_settings(x) end

Thanks, exactly what I needed.

Once I realised what was happening, the thought of going around, finding each individual requester chest (Out of 1700) and toggling that tick box was rather daunting. My blueprints have the tick box checked now and I am going to run the command so I don't mess up any little changes from the blueprint I've made on specific chests.

Edit: Oh, the command will do that, overwrite the requester settings...dang.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Return to “Gameplay Help”