wow...oops

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

wow...oops

Post by GlassDeviant »

So I have this to hold a bit of petrol for supplying sulphur (top tank) and plastic (bottom tank) production:
proper.png
proper.png (215.62 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
I must have messed it up a while back and it finally bit me when the upper petrol tank ran out:
oops.png
oops.png (228.27 KiB) Viewed 7579 times
Took me a while to figure out why plastic was working and not sulphur. I though it had something to do with when I offloaded excess light oil to a solid fuel array, but nope...then I noticed the windows on the two tanks (the top one mostly hidden by a large power pole) and had a closer look, which led to finally figuring out this little detail. At some point I unintentionally rotated the top storage tank, messing up the pipe connections.

Time to go back to using the Storage Tank Mk2 mod (the one with 8 connections that doesn't change anything when rotated).

:lol:

Edit: No idea why the dropbox links won't display as IMGs, so I made them URLs.

Edit 2: Images fixed.
Last edited by GlassDeviant on Fri Dec 27, 2019 12:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: wow...oops

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Fixed the images for you :). Pro tip : upload you images directly to the forum, they'll never get deleted, and they are so much easier to insert inline.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Images?

They are broken for me sadly.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

How do I upload them to the forum?

I'm looking at the post now and the images are broken links, like before. I even reset my browser (F5) and tried another one.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

urza99814
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by urza99814 »

If you check the URL of the images, they're dropbox thumbnails. Dropbox apparently deletes those after 4 hours, so that's why it's no longer working.

Below where you enter the text of your post there's two tabs, one says options, one says attachments... Try adding your images as an attachment.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

You can configure dropbox to keep or drop your links. Mine are set to permanent, or as long as my account exists anyway. The IMG tagged links never worked in Factorio forums, even right after I first uploaded the images to dropbox, let alone after 4 hours.

Anyway, I looked into uploading the files as Koub suggested and got it all fixed up. I should do that with a bunch of my old posts that link to my no longer existing web space. (My ISP closed all personal webspaces entirely due to abuse. Not by me.)
- GD

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

Accidentally rotating objects is a bugbear of mine. I always seem to do it and not notice until much later. It bugged me so much that I put in a suggestion for audible feedback, and I have created a little mod to do just that in the meantime.

Shameless plug - Play sound on rotation

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Oh, nice. I will try it. I will probably also get irritated by it because I rotate stuff a lot and then remove it again, but maybe not, depends on the sound. :)

Edit: Nope, I like. Keeping this!
- GD

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

GlassDeviant wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:21 pm
Oh, nice. I will try it. I will probably also get irritated by it because I rotate stuff a lot and then remove it again, but maybe not, depends on the sound. :)

Edit: Nope, I like. Keeping this!
I'm glad you like it :)

Your case is the perfect example of why I felt the need to make that little addition. Too many times I have ended up chasing down that errant pipe, tank or factory that got accidentally rotated at the end of the last play session. For something so minor, it sure can be disruptive.

I have to admit, it still took me a couple of looks at your images to see exactly what was wrong. Sneaky little sucker :D

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Those little, hidden problems are the bane of Factorio players I think, and your mod has become indispensable already! It should be in the base game.
- GD

Squelch
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Squelch »

GlassDeviant wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 8:46 am
Those little, hidden problems are the bane of Factorio players I think, and your mod has become indispensable already! It should be in the base game.
Thanks for the endorsement, I'm glad I'm not alone in this, and see the number of downloads increasing which is also heartening. It's the little things...

I've taken the liberty of linking to this topic as a case example in my suggestion post.

halloween20
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by halloween20 »

everyone who plays factorio know that "problem"

same as when you, for whatever reason, can't play it for a while and come back.
first minutes into your factory just wondering, "wtf did i do her, and why?"

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I know this pain. I sympathize and almost wish things couldn't be rotated after being plopped down.

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

halloween20 wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:14 pm
"wtf did i do her, and why?"
A truly great typo...
- GD

evopwr
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by evopwr »

agreed!

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Koub wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:26 am
[Koub] Fixed the images for you :). Pro tip : upload you images directly to the forum, they'll never get deleted, and they are so much easier to insert inline.
Never say never ! I've already had my files deleted by several forums because they didn't want/couldn't afford the server costs any more...
(They DO tend to last longer than free file hosting websites like imgur - but the best way seems to have your own server !)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:07 am
Koub wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:26 am
Never say never ! I've already had my files deleted by several forums because they didn't want/couldn't afford the server costs any more...
(They DO tend to last longer than free file hosting websites like imgur - but the best way seems to have your own server !)
I once believed that, then my ISP took away private web space for all users.
- GD

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

This is barely "your own server" though...
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “General discussion”