Topics and discussion about specific mods
AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: [Mods for 0.17] Amator Phasma's Mods

Post by AmatorPhasma »

emp_zealoth wrote: ↑
Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:16 am
Can you please rebalance steel production?
Dunno if it's expensive recipes bug, but it takes 46 iron ore, 15 crushed coke per 4 steel plates, as well as steelworks taking 1.5MW to run.
Basically, to get to 1000 steel/min I'd need to feed it 1M iron ore every 90 minutes, like 250MW of power and stupid amounts of coal - it's prohibitely expensive and there is no other way to create steel now, so there is just no way to scale it up

Can you please add more tiers/bring the steel costs more in line with Angels Smelting? (It's pretty costly there already IMO, at least till late midgame)
I will check the expensive recipe for steel, and make some adjustments.
Also a tier III sounds like a good idea.
Also, there is a typo in crucible name (crucibel)
Thanks I fix this typo in the next version!

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

So I looked into it, and I would come with these changes for the expensive recipes (I'm also having buffed the normal ones a bit):

ImageImage

What do you think?
With these changes the steel is a bit cheaper than vanilla: 1x iron-ore per steel-plate, but my mod utilizes more steel anyway and there are other things that go into this recipe. I also reduced the crafting times a bit.

A tier 3, need a bit more time, because I want a slightly different recipe/approach than simply make only a cheaper recipe for it.

Changelogs:

Code: Select all

Version: 0.18.16
Date: xx. 12. 2019
  Bugfixes:
    - fix: typo in "crucibel" it's now "crucible".
  Balancing:
    - entity: "Puddling furnace" reduce energy_usage by 70kW to 490kW.
    - entity: "Steelworks" reduce energy_usage by 300kW to 1.21MW.
    - recipe: "Steelmaking 1" (normal) iron ore reduced to 20, crushed coke reduced to 10, (expensive) iron ore reduced to 40
    - recipe: "Steelmaking 2" (normal) iron ore reduced to 18, crushed coke reduced to 10, (expensive) iron ore reduced to 36

emp_zealoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by emp_zealoth »

Um...I'm not sure what you mean
...With these changes the steel is a bit cheaper than vanilla: 1x iron-ore per steel-plate...
After the buff it takes 9 iron ore per one steel plate (36 iron in 4 steel plates out)
Did you mean to make the output 40 steel plates?

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:16 pm
Um...I'm not sure what you mean
...With these changes the steel is a bit cheaper than vanilla: 1x iron-ore per steel-plate...
After the buff it takes 9 iron ore per one steel plate (36 iron in 4 steel plates out)
Did you mean to make the output 40 steel plates?
"It's one iron ore less compared to the base game recipe for expensive steel",
is what I wanted to say, but sometimes my English grammar isn't the best, or I was just too tired when I wrote that.

emp_zealoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by emp_zealoth »

I think it still migh be a little too expensive in terms of resources and definitely way too expensive in time/electricity consumption (I play with bob's right now, most bob's T2 machines need like 70 - 100 steel)
Even after the buff 64 steel/min takes ~10MW of power (although granted, they generate steam you get to use in steam engines, but its 180 steam every 30s, so barely any power), which is 1/3 of my entire base. To get to even one yellow belt full of steel my base would be like 80% steelworks/power/fuel generation lol
And since it's bob's, it's really steel hungry

For now I disabled expensive recipes mode, but even then, only two tiers kinda hurt.
Would it be possible for you to add some sort of bob's compatibility where you have a research option/mod option to enable bob's-like (cost in resources/time/power) steel smelting? (After the player had to use Puddling furnaces and Steelworks for a while to reach that tech level - your system is really fun!). Maybe even modify bob's steel recipe to use crushed coal and crucibles in addition to oxygen?

Also, another typo: Crusher Drums vs Crusher Drumms ;)

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:33 am
I think it still migh be a little too expensive in terms of resources and definitely way too expensive in time/electricity consumption (I play with bob's right now, most bob's T2 machines need like 70 - 100 steel)
Even after the buff 64 steel/min takes ~10MW of power (although granted, they generate steam you get to use in steam engines, but its 180 steam every 30s, so barely any power), which is 1/3 of my entire base. To get to even one yellow belt full of steel my base would be like 80% steelworks/power/fuel generation lol
And since it's bob's, it's really steel hungry

For now I disabled expensive recipes mode, but even then, only two tiers kinda hurt.
Would it be possible for you to add some sort of bob's compatibility where you have a research option/mod option to enable bob's-like (cost in resources/time/power) steel smelting? (After the player had to use Puddling furnaces and Steelworks for a while to reach that tech level - your system is really fun!). Maybe even modify bob's steel recipe to use crushed coal and crucibles in addition to oxygen?
Oh, sorry, that took me a bit longer to get to the point, you play without angel smelting...
I see with bob alone this is a huge issue in my mod.

I'm working on it! I already have some ideas to solve this problem.
Also, another typo: Crusher Drums vs Crusher Drumms ;)
You don't like drums? :D *will be fixed in the nex version!

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

The first part of my solution, if played with bob and without angel's smelting:
- Rearrange my technology for the steelworks directly behind electricity.
- create a new "Steelmaking 3" recipe under "Advanced material processing".

The next step will be a "Steelworks tier 2" and "Steelworks tier 3" with crafting speed 2.5 / 3 and better energy efficient.

Any thoughts on this?
steel.png
steel.png (149.42 KiB) Viewed 5075 times

emp_zealoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by emp_zealoth »

Awesome, thanks! :D

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

so just started a full play thru of the full modset and trying to get a steady wood supply in a desert start is a pain in the ass. unless i missed something every recipe to make wood requires wet mineralized mud. i cant get nearly enough mud due to the fact i barely have anything to use the water for while getting pre red science done and setting up tier 2 of all the machines.

really need a way to void water or someway to boil off the extra using fuel that doesnt need a steam output.

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

kingarthur wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:27 am
so just started a full play thru of the full modset and trying to get a steady wood supply in a desert start is a pain in the ass. unless i missed something every recipe to make wood requires wet mineralized mud. i cant get nearly enough mud due to the fact i barely have anything to use the water for while getting pre red science done and setting up tier 2 of all the machines.

really need a way to void water or someway to boil off the extra using fuel that doesnt need a steam output.
Hi kingarthur,

It's not the first time I heard about this problem to get enough mud in the first place before the steam miner stage.

I think:
- a second way to produce wet mud would be better than a water void? (a recipe for mud filtration only)
- and/or to reduce the mud in the fertilizer recipes?
- and/or increase the water usage a bit more?

I'm looking into this, to have a solution for this problem in the next update.

Also, I'm very curious how you have built your factory with my mods, is it possible to provide a save file for me?
I have only a few examples right know, but they always helped me to balance the mod better.

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

AmatorPhasma wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:26 pm

- a second way to produce wet mud would be better than a water void? (a recipe for mud filtration only)
i think just a second recipe just without the water output would be good enough.
Also, I'm very curious how you have built your factory with my mods, is it possible to provide a save file for me?
I have only a few examples right know, but they always helped me to balance the mod better.
heres the save. i havnt gotten very far yet working on setting up red science and automating all of the steam tier machines. its very spaghetti
Attachments
amatorphasma.zip
pre red science
(3.33 MiB) Downloaded 104 times

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:08 am
AmatorPhasma wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:26 pm

i think just a second recipe just without the water output would be good enough.
heres the save. i havnt gotten very far yet working on setting up red science and automating all of the steam tier machines. its very spaghetti
Thanks for the save file,
I love spaghetti :) All my factories look like it at the begin.

Oh... Tiniy start, now my fingers are tingling and I have an insatiable desire to implement a setting to replace the fusion reactor with my burner generator. :D

Now I can test some changes with your build, and I think it could work without such an additional recipe for mud, by tweaking some recipe inputs.
And it looks like the following changes work good enough with your base, after placing some machines for recycling the waste fluids, because the tanks are full :>

I will release this update, this evening or tomorrow, I have no Idea how much time I need to create the last three color masks I want and to finish my new breeder reactor connection graphics. (there is a gap, and if you know it, you will see it every time you look at it :D)

Code: Select all

Version: 0.18.xx
Date: xx. xx. 2020
  Bugfixes:
  Balancing:
    - reduced crating time for "Gearing" from 1.5 to 1.
    - (angelpetrochem) moved recipe for "Coke pyrolysis 5" to "Coal Processing 2".
    - recipe: "Wood 1" reduce "Wet mineralized mud" from 5 to 2.
    - recipe: "Wood 2" reduce "Fertiliser (Quality: B+)" from 4 to 3.
    - recipe: "Fertiliser (Quality: B+)" reduce "Wet mineralized mud" from 10 to 5.
    - recipe: "Raw crucible 2" increased result: "Dirty water" from 10 to 25. (unification of 5 "Dirty water" per "Wet mineralized mud")
    - recipe: "Crushing coal 2" increased result: "Coal-saturated wastewater" from 15 to 20.
    - recipe: "Raw stone brick (from crushed stone)" increased ingredient "water" from 10 to 20.
    - recipe: "Raw stone brick (from ash/ crushed stone)" increased ingredient "water" from 10 to 20.
    - recipe: "Crushing coal 2" and "Crushing coal 3" increased ingredient "water" from 20 to 40.
    - recipe: "Charcoal briquette" moved from technology: "Coking plant" to "Fuel processing 1".
    - recipe: "Coke pyrolysis 1 (coke, ash)" moved from technology: "Fuel processing 1" to "Coking plant".
  Changes:
    - recipe rename: "Raw stone brick" to "Raw stone brick (from crushed stone)".
    - recipe rename: "Raw stone brick" to "Raw stone brick (from ash/crushed stone)".
    - recipe rename: "Raw stone brick" to "Raw stone brick (from wet mineralized mud)".
    - new recipe/technology: "Wood liquefaction". (new creosote source, after "Advanced oil processing" tech.)
    - new technology: "Asphalt 2".
    - new recipes: "Asphalt" from (ash/crushed stone) with oil.
    - description: "Steam air cleaner" added a more clear description how this machine should be used.
    - new recipe/item/entity: "Advanced Boiler".
    - added a color mask for the "Burner mining drill" (used on tier 2).
    - added a color mask for the "Advanced Boiler".
  Compatibility:
    - (AsphaltRoads) added compatibility patches for "Asphalt Roads".
    - (bobgreenhouse) recipe: "seedlings" replaced 1x "Wood" with 1x "Tree seeds" and increased output by 5 to 10 "Seedlings".

kingarthur
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by kingarthur »

20200114173414_1.jpg
20200114173414_1.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 4944 times
ive got the power.

heres another save if you like where ive just finished all. industrial+red science and im going to start organizing the base with a nice big main bus
Attachments
amatorphasma.zip
(4.54 MiB) Downloaded 94 times

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:39 pm
heres another save if you like where ive just finished all. industrial+red science and im going to start organizing the base with a nice big main bus
Thanks for the save file :)

You play in peaceful mode:
the one thing I see is that you have not to care about pollution, which means no air cleaner, which means you utilize less steam as I was thinking someone would do, also no defending walls, which means less stone is utilize, so I have something to adjust a little.

emp_zealoth
Inserter
Inserter

Post by emp_zealoth »

Welp, whats wrong here? :D
Attachments
welpteorite.png
welpteorite.png (417.55 KiB) Viewed 4869 times

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:48 pm
Welp, whats wrong here? :D
Ehrm... Nothing to see here, please go ahead :)

Is this Factorio version 0.17 or 0.18 ?

emp_zealoth
Inserter
Inserter

Re: [Mods for 0.18] Amator Phasma's Mods

Post by emp_zealoth »

Im still on 0.17.79
Also, the meteors have an annoying tendency to blow my base up every now and then lol, but it's kinda passable

Btw, unrelated suggestions: Wood is really really hard to produce, since it's gated behind mud and it's crucial to research and basebuilding.
I would suggest something like Angel's geode washing process which lets players generate arbitrary amounts of crushed stone/crystals for the damn catalysts.
Or some other process that would let us use the water for something useful that doesn't depend on something else that loops back to wood lol.

Another problem I had was creosote/coke oven gas. While Bob's comes with uses for it (Fluid fueled furnaces/boilers/generatorbs), it was pretty annoying to deal with it before we researched being able to crack it down to gasoline and turning it into plastics lol

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:21 pm
Im still on 0.17.79
Thanks, I found it, logic issue in my script, will be fixed with the next version :) No more water landings!

AmatorPhasma
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by AmatorPhasma »

Btw, unrelated suggestions: Wood is really really hard to produce, since it's gated behind mud and it's crucial to research and basebuilding.
(...)
Or some other process that would let us use the water for something useful that doesn't depend on something else that loops back to wood lol.
Now with version 0.19.02 this should work better, you need more water for other things
and for the first 2 science its now a positive mud cycle:
Images
(...)
Another problem I had was creosote/coke oven gas. While Bob's comes with uses for it (Fluid fueled furnaces/boilers/generatorbs), it was pretty annoying to deal with it before we researched being able to crack it down to gasoline and turning it into plastics lol
I'm thinking: I sould also add a gas-boiler, if played without bob power in a future version, then I can intruduce the coke coven gas a bit earlier...
But I never had too much creosote, you need it to fight the nature with asphalt! :mrgreen:

mutkanum
Inserter
Inserter

Post by mutkanum »

Bug.png
Bug.png (22.87 KiB) Viewed 4750 times

Return to β€œMods”