Gun turret as logistics requester

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Gun turret as logistics requester

Post by Boogieman14 »

So there's numerous topics on the lack of balance between gun and laser turrets. One of the major complaints boils down to you need just power to get a laser turret up and running, but for a gun turret you need a way to get the ammo there, which tends to involve logistics AND power (either a power pole or you could probably put coal in a chest or on a belt and use burner inserters). If gun turrets were able to function as requesters so logistics bots would deliver ammo straight into the gun, that would take care of a large part of the disadvantages of gun turrets and actually make them interesting to use again.
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gun turret as logistics requester

Post by ssilk »

With the changed setup for burner inserters no electric energy is needed. One belt, one lane with magazines, the other with coal (wood is enough) and that is enough. This setup is also quite cheep.

See also https://forums.factorio.com/forum/vie ... f=6&t=2178

Edit: this is an really easy early game setup: you need coal and iron near together. Smelt iron, craft magazines, fill all in a chest, put coal on the other side of that belt.

All can be done at the outpost. Not everything needs to be moved to your base first.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

Like I said "power (either a power pole or you could probably put coal in a chest or on a belt and use burner inserters)". Still a lot more tedious than just plopping down an electric pole and a laser turret. This would bring gun turrets a tiny bit closer to being in balance with laser turrets (you still have the resource and logistics requirements for ammo versus virtually free electricity for lasers)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FishSandwich »

By the time you get to logistics you should already have laser turrets researched, so I wonder how many people would actually take advantage of this feature? :/

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

FishSandwich wrote:By the time you get to logistics you should already have laser turrets researched, so I wonder how many people would actually take advantage of this feature? :/
I would. I kinda dislike laser turrets, because they're just too easy (same with solar panels, but that's a different discussion :) ). But as it stands now, gun turrets are way too much trouble to keep going.

Artman40
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Artman40 »

It would be nice to have "automatic request" option where upon approaching the gun turret, you'd automatically transfer your clips to that turret.

BlackMoon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by BlackMoon »

I'll note that with Dytechs advanced NPCs, gun turrets run out of ammo VERY quickly and will deplete a belt with no problem at all with just a few sentries being fed. They pretty much need logistics bots to directly feed them or a requester chest+inserter every 5 turrets along the belt.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”