Add a "Light theme" to the main web page.

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Add a "Light theme" to the main web page.

Post by bobingabout »

Reading the FFF today, and once again I experience what I'm going to call "optical distress" as a result of forced "dark mode".
So... I would like to officially request an alternative option for the factorio main page (and sub-pages such as the FFF).

Further reasoning below.

I find it annoying how I appear to be the only person who can't use "dark mode", I don't seem to see anyone else complaining about it, do I have uniquely irritated eyes or something?
What tends to happen is everything except dark areas "burn" my retina fairly evenly. Black text on white has significant enough white between the characters that the effect is still fairly even. Black text on white on the other hand only has the white text illuminated on a black area. therefore, this light coloured text "burns" my retena, but the black background does not.
as a result, I end up with lines burned into my vision equil to the line spacing of the text, which persists for several minutes afterwards, and that is the part that is quote painful, not actually reading the text.

by the terminology, Burn the retena, I'm of course speaking of the effect where your eyes, and brain try to cencel out the image you're seeing. If you were to look at a static image for a few minutes and then look away, looking at something of a flat colour, you still see that image in your eyes for a few moments. Reading anything with a dark more theme basically results in what looks like I'm trying to look at the world through a grate, and this causes me very real Distress.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Add a "Light theme" to the main web page.

Post by Amarula »

My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

darkfrei
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by darkfrei »

+1, I don't like dark theme on the site, forum and mod portal. However I can change it by the forum only.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

I'm of the opposite opinion, and don't like getting blasted with bright backgrounds. To me it's really about having the proper contrast which is my current experience with this site, with the assistance of a browser plug-in and careful selection of browser theme.

Nevertheless I support the request to implement additional themes on the basis of freedom of choice. In addition, there are people out there whose eyesight are color-challenged and actually prefer high contrast displays too...

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

netmand wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:34 pm
I'm of the opposite opinion, and don't like getting blasted with bright backgrounds. To me it's really about having the proper contrast which is my current experience with this site, with the assistance of a browser plug-in and careful selection of browser theme.

Nevertheless I support the request to implement additional themes on the basis of freedom of choice. In addition, there are people out there whose eyesight are color-challenged and actually prefer high contrast displays too...
I used to work with someone who liked really low contrast things too, I think he had this really odd colour scheme for the company homepage that was something like Cyan on cream, Bright and low contrast.
Others used to change it to black and white. but I believe the default, which is what I used was black text on cream. so, less contrast than even this forum on light mode. Actually, light mode quotes kinda look like their whole site.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Mr_SeBo
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mr_SeBo »

I agree, totally agree. But there should be a black theme still for the people who like that color, but you have a great point :D

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”