Friday Facts #324 - Sound design, Animated trees, Optimizations

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #324 - Sound design, Animated trees, Optimizations

Post by FactorioBot »

Alekthefirst
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #324 - Sound design, Animated trees, Optimizations

Post by Alekthefirst »

that's not an insignificant increase in performance
Factorio is a game about automating everything. One day, i hope i can automate shitty signatures just like this one.

Silden
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Silden »

The tree animation made my eyes water. Will there be a way to switch it off in game if I find it too distracting?

CakeDog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by CakeDog »

Animated water AND trees? AND even more optimization and performance increases across the board?

I'm not crying tears of joy, YOU'RE crying tears of joy.

Shingen
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Shingen »

This is another nice example of "Factorio is not CPU bound, it's memory latency bound". More cores wasn't going to make this faster - because it was never limited by how fast the CPU ran.
uhh what? no.
more cores weren't going to make this faster, because no N-threaded program will run faster if you just "throw more cores at it" (i.e. if you already have N cores and add more).
number of cores != speed of the CPU.

and another thing:
1 of the 3 always takes significantly longer to finish than the others. That means that the others end up being essentially "free"; the game has to wait for the slowest to be finished anyway so the faster 2 of the 3 get a "free ride" to finish long before game finishes waiting for the slowest to be done.
i don't know what you mean by "free ride", they're still being computed, it's all weirdly worded.

if one of them takes significantly longer than the other 2, how about make it run parallel to the other 2 being run sequentially?
as in:

Code: Select all

------1------->
--2--> --3-->
this way they won't compete as hard for resources - however, of course, overall they will compete for a bit longer

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

Yay, handful of great news. I like the bug walking sound. The "breathe sound" a little less, I think it sounds like a dog. IMO it should be more bug-like, lung-less. Like "chirp", or "ksss".

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I've been suspecting that the reason why nuclear got (slightly) worse performance in 0.17 (while pretty much everything else got much better) was due to the heat pipe simulation - was I right?
https://mulark.github.io/tests/test-000 ... 00017.html
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by seePyou »

"The blue triangle module-requesters had the same kind of checks"

The what?

" Electric networks... Fluid networks... Heat pipe networks... none of these interact with each other or anything outside of themselves. What happens if I just update all 3 in parallel? [...] Every save file I've tested ended up running measurably faster in the end. The most extreme one (lots of steel furnace based smelting) showed a 2.3x speed-up. "

So does that mean that each of these are now able to run on a seperate thread in our multithreaded processors?

DanGio
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DanGio »

seePyou wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 pm
"The blue triangle module-requesters had the same kind of checks"

The what?
Place a blueprint of a machine containing modules. Build the machine. You see a blue triangle on it, saying that the machine demands modules (bots will insert them if they're available in the network)

Allaizn
Former Staff
Former Staff

Post by Allaizn »

Silden wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:25 pm
The tree animation made my eyes water. Will there be a way to switch it off in game if I find it too distracting?
Yes, there is a toggle in the graphics settings. Though it pains my heart a little to see people jumping to turn it off - I hope you'll give it a chance at least :)
seePyou wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:45 pm
So does that mean that each of these are now able to run on a seperate thread in our multithreaded processors?
As far as I know, yes.

Fusselwurm
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fusselwurm »

I love the patter of a thousand feet!
If you're not careful, people might start playing Factorio for its beauty alone :D

Blacky007
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Blacky007 »

Allaizn wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:54 pm
Yes, there is a toggle in the graphics settings. Though it pains my heart a little to see people jumping to turn it off - I hope you'll give it a chance at least :)
For the start of the game it will be good - but long time player want to switch it off - if you get motion sickness with this - from the new water or trees I will it off to save my eyes
I would like to get an older save of my megabase tested with this new optimized game. https://www.dropbox.com/s/stgbzdnu6jyfo ... T.zip?dl=0
Greetings
My color birthday was May 2nd 2020 - Thank you Enchroma

mmppolton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by mmppolton »

if it is ram latency bound what is the recomand ram to get for a new pc buld very hig end ram cost a arm a and a leg lot oand lot of mony over norml ram

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by seePyou »

DanGio wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:53 pm
Place a blueprint of a machine containing modules. Build the machine. You see a blue triangle on it, saying that the machine demands modules (bots will insert them if they're available in the network)
Oh, I just called that module ghosts. Thanks :)

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

Wow. Sound, Animations and optimizations. I am looking forward for the changes coming out.
For the sounds, Ian: For me the sounds that happens when I am doing things is the most important. Just opening wooden chests feels great because the sound. I don't like the landfill sound and i do a lot of copy/paste settings of assemblers and chests that don't have any interact sound at all. At least changing the settings should have some sound.

Animations, Albert: I like the new water and tree animations. Somehow they feels a little bit like impressionist paintings. I't strange how making something move makes it feels like something static as a painting.

Optimizations, Rseding great work. I am thrilled how all the ridiculous factories the community have built will run. I didn't understand how the targeters elimited the need for the checks maybe someone else can explain? Could be I am just to stupid.

seePyou
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by seePyou »

mmppolton wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm
if it is ram latency bound what is the recomand ram to get for a new pc buld very hig end ram cost a arm a and a leg lot oand lot of mony over norml ram
Get as fast a RAM module as you can afford, with as low timings as you can afford.

Fast is the rating of the dim. You will see a 2400, or a 3200 or any such number. Get the highest possible.
Timings are a collection of numbers, you could even see them as CAS LATENCY which is only the first one. Usually something like 14-14-14-14 or 15-15-15-15.
Try to get the lowest possible. Also look for price to performance value.
I was lucky enough to find a 3600 quad pair (four dimms) with 12-12-12-12. It was... not cheep...

For comparisson between how much to invest in speed or timings, you really have to do a deep dive and read up on previous posts of benchmarks done: https://www.reddit.com/r/factorio/comme ... ed_fpsups/

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

mmppolton wrote: ↑
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:12 pm
For the latency the timings should be important. So higher speed RAMs with bigger timings is maybe not that great. I think the latency is timing/speed?

luc
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by luc »

As someone continuously struggling with performance issues (I like optimizing things in megabases, not the manual work in the beginning), I am very much looking forward to these optimizations :D

The sounds, I dunno, they sound kinda weird to me. Not yet sure if that's just because it's new.

ledow
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ledow »

We need a big bassy sound for the largest biters/spitters, something to invoke fear as you hear them coming towards you.

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

When we can see this awesome change in game?

Return to β€œNews”