Friday Facts #323 - Animated water

Regular reports on Factorio development.
Reika
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #323 - Animated water

Post by Reika »

I am so happy to see that this has finally been implemented! The static-ness of water and a few other world objects has been one of my longest-standing complaints, purely because of how unnatural and fake it looked.

LostInTheForums
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by LostInTheForums »

While we're at water... What about water wells inland?

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Small deposits of water can spawn, according to your map presets. They are somewhat of inland water wells. Colloquially refferd to as lakes.
Whats more appealing, now then beautification is on the table, to maybe implement the greenish water texture from the 2016 and 2014 trailer. Water flooring under a certain size and in fitting biomes (meaning beeing dominatly surrounded by certain terrain) could display it.

Reffering to this (In the unlikely case anyone is NOT familiar):
https://youtu.be/DR01YdFtWFI?t=54

Great changes by the way, I'm getting more and more excited about 0.18

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:52 pm
Watching that old trailer again now gives a pretty astonishing impression of how much the graphics have changed, and how "flat" it all looked back then. The art department (and the engine department ;)) have done a truely outstanding move job.

Green water does technically exist btw, it's just not naturally generated i think.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 7:00 pm
conn11 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:52 pm
Watching that old trailer again now gives a pretty astonishing impression of how much the graphics have changed, and how "flat" it all looked back then. The art department (and the engine department ;)) have done a truely outstanding move job.

Green water does technically exist btw, it's just not naturally generated i think.
don't forget to check out the two previous iterations. Those are more like cave painting in comparison to the current game.
Just saying a much more contemporary HD-trailer, featuring such "small" things like atillery or nuclear is seriously needed.

Like shallow water outside the NPE-Campain I think, both great opportunities to diversify terrain in freeplay.

fishycat
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by fishycat »

Wow, amazing work guys! It looks pretty darn good. Will there be some subtle typical shore sound, like wind blowing and waves hit the shore, maybe even some occassionally seagull? :D

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

Guys plz dont forget to add sound effects for the water as well. and wind at the shore and on the sea.

I spend so much time in factorio, I have the need for the illusion of fresh air and vaccation. :D

Ringkeeper
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Ringkeeper »

good thing first animation didn't made it in the game :D that one looks horrible.

But the rest is fine. Won't see it much later... my wife doesn't like water in the game, too much building disruption for her :D

Quarnozian
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Quarnozian »

torham wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 3:20 pm
CreeperDaReeper wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:59 pm
Hmmm......
Imagines reservoirs of Oil that have leaked up to the surface, rivers of Lava winding through the terrain, and churning pools of Acid nearby.
Awesome!!. And, and... since we are talking environment how about dust storms in the desert, or dust devils...

.... rain (wake up your inner pluviophile)

Edit: Also, the water looks amzing :D
Adding bubbling swamps to this list.
Plus rippling fields of tall grass.
Oh, also shimmering crystal formations that react to the clouds.

Sorry devs, you've sparked our imaginations, so now you get to deal with a bunch of unrealistic requests. ;)

Engimage
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Engimage »

This looks absolutely stunning. Well done guys!

Dysan27
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Dysan27 »

LostInTheForums wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:37 pm
While we're at water... What about water wells inland?
I believe that it was a conscious choice not to have them buildable in vanilla. They are a thing though. If you build an offshore pump and then landfill the water it is on, it still works as a pump, and actually changes its name to "Water Well Pump" Just don't remove it as you can't place it back

It is one of the things they decided was a constraint that adds to the game play.

I'm sure there is a mod that allows you to place them directly.

QGamer
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by QGamer »

I love the animated water!
And it doesn't distract the player--amazing!
One question: is the water safe to drink?
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."

5thHorseman
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by 5thHorseman »

This is the coolest thing I'll immediately disable since clouds :D

burninghey
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by burninghey »

TheBrain0110 wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 5:38 pm
As the last few posters mentioned, it looks like the waves should be caused by the wind. We currently have clouds that move by, and the smoke from our machines (especially noticeable on turbines) changes direction slowly with the wind too. It would be great if there was a single unified wind direction (and maybe even speed) for all of those - clouds, smoke, waves, and trees, etc - to all move together. That would really give a sense of a coherent living environment.

Then of course you’d need a dynamic weather model to have the wind shift in a realistic pattern...

And if we’re going *really* crazy, you could even have the diffusion of the pollution cloud affected by the wind direction / speed.

Ok actually the *most* over the top thing would be to have the pollution cloud affect the weather itself!
+1

darkthemes
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by darkthemes »

If you're looking for a super-efficient animation technique, you could consider colour cycling.

This one's a bit of an intro: The Lost Art of Color Cycling (Youtube)
This one is by far one of my favourite talks about early animation techniques: A GDC talk by Mark Ferrari, an expert artist who employed color cycling for beautiful effects like mist, water, fire, smoke, and even time of day (Youtube)

BattleFluffy
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BattleFluffy »

So watery! :D

This looks really nice. Another unexpected bonus thing that "we didn't know we needed". :>

The thing I am looking forward to most of all is the update to the sound effects, though. I am always in hope of news about that.. :D The preview of the artillery shown many FFF's ago was soooo cool.

Ghoulish
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Ghoulish »

I do enjoy the FFF's where you give us a sneak peak in to how things work under the hood.

On first look I thought the new water effect too subtle, but the more I watch the more I started to think it fits, a good compromise between overhead and looks. Looking forward to seeing the new animation at scale in my factory.
See the daily™ struggles with my Factory! :D https://www.twitch.tv/repetitivebeats

Ext3h
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ext3h »

Shadows on the water ...

I don't think I ever realized they are there, but now that the water is moving, they pop out. And they are neither subject to a blur, nor are they distorted by a noise function. Can't really paint them on top of the water like that. They can suppress highlights on the water, but the can't project a core shadow onto water.

Also about the reflections, the filter for "high" objects appears to be wrong. Width of the blur kernel should have scaled up if distance between water surface and object is high. The hard shape for e.g. the treetop is pretty obviously wrong, and makes it look like a second drop-shadow, rather than a reflection.

Lubricus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Lubricus »

Ext3h wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:38 pm
Shadows on the water ...

I don't think I ever realized they are there, but now that the water is moving, they pop out. And they are neither subject to a blur, nor are they distorted by a noise function. Can't really paint them on top of the water like that. They can suppress highlights on the water, but the can't project a core shadow onto water.

Also about the reflections, the filter for "high" objects appears to be wrong. Width of the blur kernel should have scaled up if distance between water surface and object is high. The hard shape for e.g. the treetop is pretty obviously wrong, and makes it look like a second drop-shadow, rather than a reflection.
Yea it's a 2D game, so...

Ext3h
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Ext3h »

Lubricus wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:05 am
Yea it's a 2D game, so...
So? Filtering the sprite into outline is happening in 2D as well. Except the used filter kernel is a constant width one regardless of distance to sprite base, which is causing it to look weird. If the reflected part is far from the water, it should be reflected with a lower frequency, but in a larger radius. Equival to widening the filter kernel when baking the reflection map, producing wider gradients.

Composition of lightning is happening in 2D as well, but doesn't change that the composition works differently for water, than it does for e.g. terrain.
Water is pure specular, the primary source of illumination isn't diffuse by direct illumination (blocked by shadows), but rather reflection. Direct illumination only contributes highlights (twinkle, foam), not the more dominant reflected component. So final illumination is

Code: Select all

[direct illumination mask] * ([wave noise] + [shoreline] * [foam texture]) + (1 - [shoreline]) * [reflection mask] * [reflection noise] * [ambient]
rather than the shown

Code: Select all

[direct illumination mask] * ([wave noise] + [shoreline] * [foam texture] + [reflection mask] * [reflection noise] * [ambient])
Last edited by Ext3h on Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “News”