Notifications System

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Disable logistic network warnings

Post by Koub »

I think what you're looking for might be this topic (and more specifically this post) :
viewtopic.php?p=380450#p380450
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

GrumpyJoe
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Disable logistic network warnings

Post by GrumpyJoe »

that would be it, some nice suggestions.
Some say notification, some alarms, i only searched for warnings :roll: and didn´t click the topics, only read the titles of what the search came up with and their dates
Asking for a merge, i´ll keep that thread alive cos thats bothering me for a long time now

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Notifications System

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with similar and more general suggestion.

Mgis09
Inserter
Inserter

Mute alerts GUI

Post by Mgis09 »

I wonder if it would be good to have GUI, opened when right clicking on alerts.
Doing same stuff that we already have a command for.
Let me post a pic.

mute-alerts-gui.jpg
mute-alerts-gui.jpg (46.35 KiB) Viewed 3307 times

Also, btw, on a few playthroughs, I found that we play in such a way, that there is a lot of "construction robots missing" alerts. It is up to point when we have good personal and placed (fixed) roboports.
I tend to mark some tunnels to make through forests. (This first type of alert can disappear if I go away from this deconstruction zone)
My friend likes to place hundreds of solars in array. (This may be displayed for long time because one side is under roboports)

Thanks

ps There isnt such a topic already, is there?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older topic with similar suggestion.

Jürgen Erhard
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jürgen Erhard »

Koub wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:15 am
A little necro, for the good cause.
Let's necro this once more. Actually, for me this is alive until it's fixed. Because it's a shame in an otherwise almost ;-) perfect game.
Koub wrote:
I have countless times wished that there was a proper notifications system in Factorio. The kind you have on your smartphone, your operating system, and most modern management games. OP describes it pretty well.
Me too, buddy, me too.
Koub wrote:
I think this is needed before game goes 1.0,

[…]
I agree, it was actually needed for 1.0, but it, for some unfathomable reason (and "Not enough time" ain't one: you *make* time, AKA delay/postpone) didn't happen.

Just ran into this again is why: I'd set "structures damaged" to *not* disappear at all unless acknowledged by me or at least until *repaired*. And, if we had *that* level of flexibility, auto-remove when repaired *UNLESS* damaged again before repair happened (which would hint at "here's a hotspot my bots can't get repaired fast enough"). (There's no Lua API for alerts management‚right? With an actual system, there should (and I expect there would) be)

Speedlulu
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Speedlulu »

Hello,
I've created an account just to bump this topic.
It's a great suggestion, also it could be interesting to add an `on_alert` event to the API.
Last edited by Speedlulu on Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

An idea whose time has come? *Enters user-configurable alarm as a reminder*
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

The kind of settings I had in mind is something like the UFO : Aftermath options :
2022-06-30 20_55_57-UFO_ Aftermath.jpg
2022-06-30 20_55_57-UFO_ Aftermath.jpg (61.08 KiB) Viewed 2582 times
First column is "pause game", second is "center on alert", and third is "just inform".
And the different lines are "hostile spotted", "unit attacked", "unit killed", "no more orders", "out of ammo", "can't aim at target", "action impossible", ...

One can choose whatever level of detail one wants when an event occurs. And one can change the level of alerting for a given category while in mid game, because throughout the game, things that matter evolve.

Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

In-game GUI to manage alerts and warnings being shown

Post by Muppet9010 »

It would be nice if there was an in-game GUI to manage what alerts and warnings are shown to the player. Rather than having to use console commands.

I appreciate these are per map and not global, so would be like the map overlay toggles.

https://wiki.factorio.com/Alerts

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: In-game GUI to manage alerts and warnings being shown

Post by Amarula »

This has been on our wish list for quite a while :)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9394
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Muppet9010
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: In-game GUI to manage alerts and warnings being shown

Post by Muppet9010 »

I looked at that topics opening posts before making this thread. But it looked to be a much larger and all encompassing geature ask, than this simple gui addition for existing functionality :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Merged into older thread with similar suggestion. Sorry for the delay.

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Now if only the User Interface itself was a mod. I could modify it to work best for me.

Anno 1800 has a small dialog on the left of the screen that allows one to show or hide various warnings and alerts. Although I would prefer something in settings that went into more detail about what I could enable or disable. I want less stuff on the screen. Some might want it all up front.

Another of the newer games also has options on the lower right to quickly enable and disable certain types of notifications. DSP I think. It lets me quickly turn off those annoying flashing alerts for power.

Which is the most annoying thing in this game. Like the stupid flashing of the Research Complete message that never ever stops. Or the things that need to be built or picked up by robots flashing thing.

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by DaleStan »

jamiechi1 wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:02 pm
Another of the newer games also has options on the lower right to quickly enable and disable certain types of notifications. DSP I think. It lets me quickly turn off those annoying flashing alerts for power.
There are mods that reduce the size of the power alerts in Factorio, and I think there are ones that change them, so it's almost certainly possible to disable them entirely. There are also probably some interesting mods on the mod portal.
jamiechi1 wrote:
Like the stupid flashing of the Research Complete message that never ever stops.
Have you tried picking a new research when that starts flashing? It usually stops flashing for me after I pick a new research.

FuryoftheStars
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FuryoftheStars »

DaleStan wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:20 pm
jamiechi1 wrote:
Like the stupid flashing of the Research Complete message that never ever stops.
Have you tried picking a new research when that starts flashing? It usually stops flashing for me after I pick a new research.
It flashes until you open the tech window. I just quickly double tap T (my bound key for the tech window) when I have a research complete but am not interested in picking another, yet.

Edit:
DaleStan wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:20 pm
jamiechi1 wrote:
There are mods that reduce the size of the power alerts in Factorio, and I think there are ones that change them
I have issues with this game's flashing warning icons, too (or at least the ones that appear on the buildings themselves), but it's less to do with the flashing and more to do with the looks of the flashing icon. I like using the SmoothWarnings mod to replace the default ones. Much better to me.
My Mods: Classic Factorio Basic Oil Processing | Sulfur Production from Oils | Wood to Oil Processing | Infinite Resources - Normal Yield | Tree Saplings (Redux) | Alien Biomes Tweaked | Restrictions on Artificial Tiles

jamiechi1
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by jamiechi1 »

Edit: I am currently using and have been using Smoothwarnings for what seems like years. It does help a small bit. But nothing really works because the flashing is hardcoded into the game.

I don't have epilepsy issues but I am much more sensitive to flashing things in games than most people. I have no problems with slower animations.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

The notification representation should be really more configurable. Besides, there should be a small "log" button where you can get a list of all warnings of... the last hours... Notifications have to be put together - if a building gets damaged, all damaged buildings in a close distance and same time are put in the same "event". If a building gets destroyed, all destroyed and damaged buildings are combined in this "event". Of course the programmable speaker also creates "events" for the log.

I'm missing kinds of "brownout" warnings, but that would be more a task for the programmable speaker and improved circuit network.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”