Minefield

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Minefield

Post by Aza-Industries »

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this, I did a simple search nothing showed up.
Anywho..

I think it would be a neat and simple feature to implement if we could designate an area as a minefield.
And logistic bots would take land mines from provider/storage chests and fill the area, and replace them when they get destroyed.

kovarex
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Minefield

Post by kovarex »

This is nice idea, automation ftw :)

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

I would be afraid of losing my bots..

perhaps in connection to the "radar could be connected to circuit network" idea it might work safely :)

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

MF- wrote:I would be afraid of losing my bots..

perhaps in connection to the "radar could be connected to circuit network" idea it might work safely :)
or run on a signal, i.e. after minefield is used the player can see if its still dangeous and then give a "reset fields" signal to the bots

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

Dakkanor wrote: or run on a signal, i.e. after minefield is used the player can see if its still dangeous and then give a "reset fields" signal to the bots
You can easily do that with existing network mechanics by supplying the mines into the provider chest when the robots are supposed to run and removing afterwards.

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

I tried to make cluster mines that spawn more cluster mines on explosion, but mine explosion did not count as dead event. aawww
I get free minefield though, if I shoot them with my gun.
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Mysteria9
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Mysteria9 »

I love the idea!
I'd be happy if a specific "mine layer bot" would do the work though.

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

rk84 wrote:I tried to make cluster mines that spawn more cluster mines on explosion, but mine explosion did not count as dead event. aawww
I get free minefield though, if I shoot them with my gun.
thats pretty cool, quick launch minefield.
what about a special mine that spawns several mines around it on placement?

rk84
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by rk84 »

Dakkanor wrote:thats pretty cool, quick launch minefield.
Yea that will make more sense then shootable mines :lol:

I got another idea too. One mine usually kills one creeper, but I could make bait to draw more creepers around before spawning mines. Bait could be moving unit (suicide unit) or unmoving trap (fake turret).
Test mode
Searching Flashlight
[WIP]Fluid handling expansion
[WIP]PvP gamescript
[WIP]Rocket Express
Autofill: The torch has been pass to Nexela

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

rk84 wrote:
Dakkanor wrote:thats pretty cool, quick launch minefield.
Yea that will make more sense then shootable mines :lol:

I got another idea too. One mine usually kills one creeper, but I could make bait to draw more creepers around before spawning mines. Bait could be moving unit (suicide unit) or unmoving trap (fake turret).
scarecrow decoy?

i'd also like some kind of time delayed mine which would be able to catch more creepers at once...

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

Well.. mines are pretty cheap I think the 1x1 ratio is alright. My main defense would always be the turrets. Mines are more for thinning the hoard.

armagone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by armagone »

I love mines, they're easy to craft, and really useful but there's only two cons for me : they stack only by 16 and when there is a lot of creepers, they're not efficient enough to blow a lot of them.
The idea of a minefield is great, putting a lot of mine in one shot is good !
But, my whish is here, do you think we can have reusable mine? Or small turrets, undetectable by creepers. My idea is driven by the widow mine from Starcraft 2. For those who doesn't know, it's a mine (Oo) which launch rockets, but when it's burried it's undetectable.

MF-
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by MF- »

armagone wrote:I love mines, they're easy to craft, and really useful but there's only two cons for me : they stack only by 16 and when there is a lot of creepers, they're not efficient enough to blow a lot of them.
But, my whish is here, do you think we can have reusable mine? Or small turrets, undetectable by creepers. My idea is driven by the widow mine from Starcraft 2. For those who doesn't know, it's a mine (Oo) which launch rockets, but when it's burried it's undetectable.
Oh, mines are cheap? I though they use flamethrower ammo (and thus a quantity of steel)
But perhaps I missed some little "100x" in the recipe name...

Aza-Industries
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Aza-Industries »

MF- wrote:
armagone wrote:I love mines, they're easy to craft, and really useful but there's only two cons for me : they stack only by 16 and when there is a lot of creepers, they're not efficient enough to blow a lot of them.
Oh, mines are cheap? I though they use flamethrower ammo (and thus a quantity of steel)
But perhaps I missed some little "100x" in the recipe name...
They produce more then 1 at a time.

They don't use much steel, 6 gets you 4 mines which is only 24 iron = 6 iron per mine.
A small amount in comparison to many of the other later products which use lots of intermediate products, e,g. blue belts.

Coal doesn't get much use compared to other resources so it's not a big loss putting a small amount into mines.

But then.. all these resources could seem little to me because I mine more then my factory uses and the rest gets stored, at the moment I have about 1.4mil coal, and iron ore each.

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

to be honest I have never once used the mines in an actual game...oh I've played with them in a couple custom scenarios but I've never considered them an effective weapon/deterrent to creepers for any extended amount of time. MAINLY because you'd have to replace them yourself, but also because mass producing ammo is easier and seems cheaper :D
I've been hoping that we'd get splash damage (AOE) and the mines would then be able to take out or severely injure small groups of creepers but... :(
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

Dakkanor
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Dakkanor »

FreeER wrote:to be honest I have never once used the mines in an actual game...oh I've played with them in a couple custom scenarios but I've never considered them an effective weapon/deterrent to creepers for any extended amount of time. MAINLY because you'd have to replace them yourself, but also because mass producing ammo is easier and seems cheaper :D
I've been hoping that we'd get splash damage (AOE) and the mines would then be able to take out or severely injure small groups of creepers but... :(
what about modding the mines to produce flamethrower bursts moving out in all directions??

its partially solve the AOE while looking cool!
AND if you had dummy mines and a trigger mine you could spread the dummy mines around so they get blown up by the trigger, making a HUGE FIREBALL!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

FreeER
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by FreeER »

Dakkanor wrote:what about modding the mines to produce flamethrower bursts moving out in all directions??
Only issue there is you can only put mines so close together then or the flames would destroy the nearby mines, if only we had a way to know what destroyed an entity, then I could probably do something like if entity.destroyed.by == flamethrower then create mine mine.detonate() or create flames around destroyed mine, or something or other. note I don't think the detonate method exists right now :(
Dakkanor wrote:AND if you had dummy mines and a trigger mine you could spread the dummy mines around so they get blown up by the trigger, making a HUGE FIREBALL!!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Would be awesome, but I don't think trigger mines could actually be created, unless it was something like onentitykilled == triggermine then create mines all around it...

actually one of these might be possible :D Time for testing :lol:

edit:You know what, either I didn't experiment with these properly or they've been changed since I last looked...in 0.3.2 they have a damage_radius = 5, it's easy to bump this up and make them a bit more useful :) needs a better explosion graphic if they are going to have a larger range though...
<I'm really not active any more so these may not be up to date>
~FreeER=Factorio Modding
- Factorio Wiki
- My Factorio Modding Guide
- Wiki Modding Guide
Feel free to pm me :)
Or drop into #factorio on irc.esper.net

slpwnd
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by slpwnd »

FreeER wrote:I've been hoping that we'd get splash damage (AOE) and the mines would then be able to take out or severely injure small groups of creepers but... :(
There will be some splash damage eventually. We are aware that the fight is really poor at the moment. First things first :)

Cordylus
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cordylus »

Necromancy

Implemented in 0.8.6

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”