Allow copy content of chest to Circuit Condition of circuit connected inserter

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

VonFlaffenhausen
Inserter
Inserter

Post by VonFlaffenhausen »

TL;DR

What ?
It would be really helpful if we where able to shift-right-click on a chest and then shift-left-click on a circuit network connected inserter to copy the content of the chest as a Circuit Condition to the inserter (could obviously only work if the chest has only 1 type of item)
Why ?
This would be a time saver. It always takes me a while to find the item in the Circuit Condition menu

PS:
Valneq pointed out to me that i had used "filter" instead of "Circuit Condition". Fixed this.
Last edited by VonFlaffenhausen on Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Allow copy content of chest to filter of circuit connected inserter

Post by valneq »

I don't understand your suggestion.

You can "set filter" on filter inserters, when they are connected to the circuit network.
Just connect a filter inserter to the chest via red wire and have it "set filter".

What am I misunderstanding?

[edit:] Wait a second. My suggestion is like not having any filters set at all … duh!
Now I start to understand: You want the filters to be static in case any unwanted type of items make their way into the chest. And you want to have the static filters be paste-able from an existing chest that happens to contain (only?) the correct type of item … right?[/edit]

VonFlaffenhausen
Inserter
Inserter

I thought about copy pasting filter settings because it is one of the things I have to do a lot when creating my mall area

Ill typically have an assembler outputting items for me in a chest. To prevent ending up with 2400 undergrounds in a chest, ill set a circuit condition of "Enabled if underground is < 150".

It would be nice to be able to shift click the chest (containing only undergrounds) and then shift left clicking the inserter and having the underground be copied into the filter field of the inserter.

Does that make sense?

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Err … I think using the word filter is a bit confusing then. You want to paste the underground belts into the circuit condition of the inserter, because you don't actually use the filter inserters (purple / white inserters).

VonFlaffenhausen
Inserter
Inserter

valneq wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:58 pm
Err … I think using the word filter is a bit confusing then. You want to paste the underground belts into the circuit condition of the inserter, because you don't actually use the filter inserters (purple / white inserters).
You are 100% correct.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Allow copy content of chest to Circuit Condition of circuit connected inserter

Post by ssilk »

Why don’t you just limit the chest stack size?
:)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

VonFlaffenhausen
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Allow copy content of chest to Circuit Condition of circuit connected inserter

ssilk wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:05 am
Why don’t you just limit the chest stack size?
:)
Cause that is super annoying when you want to clean out your inventory.
I find that a really inelegant way to do limit output.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Maybe you should try this. It copies the item information from a machine, not a chest, but....

https://mods.factorio.com/mod/additional-paste-settings

Copy from Machine -> Paste into Inserter: Sets the inserter's condition to be less than the stack's multiplier of the item being produced by the assembling machine. If it's connected to ANY wire network, it sets the condition to the circuit condition. If not connected to a wire network, set it based on the logistics condition.

Copy and paste into SAME Inserter: Clears the logistics and circuit condition.
Copy and paste into SAME Requester/Buffer Chest: Clears the requests for that chest.

VonFlaffenhausen
Inserter
Inserter

That is super helpful.
Thanks for taking the time to help out!

gGeorg
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by gGeorg »

ssilk wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:24 am
Copy from Machine -> Paste into Inserter: Sets the inserter's condition to be less than the stack's multiplier of the item being produced by the assembling machine. If it's connected to ANY wire network, it sets the condition to the circuit condition. If not connected to a wire network, set it based on the logistics condition.
That is the beauty. Thank you.
Would you please ask devs to implement it into the core game?

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I a mod is useful, download rises. If much downloads and is easy to implement, they find a way. So all you need to do is to use the mod. :)

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”