Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Regular reports on Factorio development.
valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by valneq »

ThunderFD wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm
kachiun wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:01 am
25 september? Will be a nice birthday present for me :)
Another one! :D
That is expected – kind of. See also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

Although now that I think of it … the date was given by the developers, so it should be less likely than in the original birthday problem.

ske
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ske »

Ohz wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:16 pm
Am I the only one who feel some anger on this 1.0 annoucement?
I hope everything is ok....
I think it's how Czech people speak in their native tongue with expressions that translate poorly into English regarding the emotional message.

"Wouldn't be a catastrophe" problably means "it's pretty darn good already and we could ship today if we wanted to".

"We have been on a bit of a hiring spree lately, trying to fill gaps in the team where we can identify them." probably means "we're drowning in money and our organization is blowing up like a pufferfish".

nljr
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by nljr »

So after you launch the game officially, aren't you going to start over from scratch and see if you can launch again in less time, and without lasers?

aklesey1
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by aklesey1 »

Ohz wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:16 pm
Am I the only one who feel some anger on this 1.0 annoucement?
I hope everything is ok....
Not only u
I think game have huge potential of small and small improvements and polishment in gameplay - with combinators, with robots, with trains and another things
Nickname on ModPortal - Naron79

FUNko83
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by FUNko83 »

FactorioBot wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:53 pm
Here it is! (beep boop)

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-321
Pleeeeeease put release day on 29 of September I would have 16 birthday as release of Factorio 1.0 !!!

Griffork
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Griffork »

Raiguard wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 pm
I went back and found an older version of the same picture, and created a little comparison of before/after the color correction. Enjoy!

MP4 compression makes the new colors look worse than they actually are, but it's still fun to compare.

For a more accurate comparison, here are the old colors, and here are the new colors.

Is it just me or does the new one look desaturated and covered in an orange layer?
The nuclear fuel definitely doesn't look as green and all the white/grey parts are now slightly orange.

RocketManChronicles
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by RocketManChronicles »

Griffork wrote: ↑
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 pm
Raiguard wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:50 pm
I went back and found an older version of the same picture, and created a little comparison of before/after the color correction. Enjoy!

MP4 compression makes the new colors look worse than they actually are, but it's still fun to compare.

For a more accurate comparison, here are the old colors, and here are the new colors.

Is it just me or does the new one look desaturated and covered in an orange layer?
The nuclear fuel definitely doesn't look as green and all the white/grey parts are now slightly orange.
Well, yeah, it make sense. The picture is in the desert biome. And in the color resaturation FFF they even explained the desert is to appear more orange than before.

el_penny
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by el_penny »

Nice to have a release date!

https://www.gram.pl/news/2019/11/15/poz ... orio.shtml

I am a bit drunk right now but this piece reads a little condescending to me. Someone with power of polish lang could read it and tell for sure. If this is the case I would advise some activity:D

seltha
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by seltha »

Awesome news, setting a release means you can go into feature freeze and just make sure everything is good and stable. It's a healthy part of the software development cycle. I thought it'd be out even sooner than September, but this works. :)

WarStalkeR
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by WarStalkeR »

FactorioBot wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:53 pm
Here it is! (beep boop)

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-321
Lol, Kovarex, if everybody was releasing 1.0 as you did, our world would've been a better place :D

LordWampus
Inserter
Inserter

Post by LordWampus »

el_penny wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:32 am

I am a bit drunk right now but this piece reads a little condescending to me. Someone with power of polish lang could read it and tell for sure. If this is the case I would advise some activity:D
It has an almost entitled feel to it, reading "Factorio was supposed to leave the early access phase at the end of March last year, but - as we already know - ultimately it didn't happen. Despite this, the price has been increased anyway and we are still waiting for the full version of the game. The plus is that the developers, in this case the Wube Software studio, themselves admitted to the mistake and already at the very beginning of the latest announcement published on the official website of the game admitted that its development already takes far too much time."

I'm not sure how the writer can call a decision to keep developing a "mistake"? Surely the mistake would be to push out an inferior 1.0 release just to be seen to not be "stuck in early access"? Factorio was in a better place than most AAA titles by .13 and there's nothing stopping anyone going out and buying/enjoying/sacrificing-their-life-to (delete as appropriate) it now.

They also write "purely theoretically, if they decided to share the full version with players now, nothing would probably explode" which indicates a lack of understanding of a) the difference between theoretically and hypothetically and b) how software development works.

I'd consider that the clumsy tone may be down to Google Translate... but the logical fallacies indicate a bog-standard, poorly researched, poorly written hatchet job. This is what passes for journalism in the internet age. So sad.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

I read the article again and again trying to understand what news we can expect until 1.0. Does it mean no serious features will be added, just bugfixes and polishing? I can understand it.
How about new fluid physics, is it β€œserious feature” or not? Can we expect it until 1.0?

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

coppercoil wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:37 pm
I read the article again and again trying to understand what news we can expect until 1.0.
The improved blueprint library hopefully:

https://factorio.com/blog/post/fff-282

cpy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by cpy »

It's day before my BDAY! So this will be my gift!

Eleenrood
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Eleenrood »

LordWampus wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 pm

It has an almost entitled feel to it, reading "Factorio was supposed to leave the early access phase at the end of March last year, but - as we already know - ultimately it didn't happen. Despite this, the price has been increased anyway and we are still waiting for the full version of the game. The plus is that the developers, in this case the Wube Software studio, themselves admitted to the mistake and already at the very beginning of the latest announcement published on the official website of the game admitted that its development already takes far too much time."

I'm not sure how the writer can call a decision to keep developing a "mistake"? Surely the mistake would be to push out an inferior 1.0 release just to be seen to not be "stuck in early access"? Factorio was in a better place than most AAA titles by .13 and there's nothing stopping anyone going out and buying/enjoying/sacrificing-their-life-to (delete as appropriate) it now.

They also write "purely theoretically, if they decided to share the full version with players now, nothing would probably explode" which indicates a lack of understanding of a) the difference between theoretically and hypothetically and b) how software development works.

I'd consider that the clumsy tone may be down to Google Translate... but the logical fallacies indicate a bog-standard, poorly researched, poorly written hatchet job. This is what passes for journalism in the internet age. So sad.
Someone with power of polish language will tell: it's exactly what it seems, google translate did good enough job and LordWampus summed it up very well.

orzelek
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by orzelek »

Eleenrood wrote: ↑
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:50 pm
LordWampus wrote: ↑
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:26 pm

Someone with power of polish language will tell: it's exactly what it seems, google translate did good enough job and LordWampus summed it up very well.
Tbh it doesn't sounds as bad as here when read in polish. Only strange thing there is that they seem to be dissapointed/annoyed whatever that price has been already increased while 1.0 will be later.
I did not check.. was price increased actually?

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

It was from 20 to the current (and definitive) 30$.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

Dry Hairy Tree
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Dry Hairy Tree »

As you folks know - you do an amazing job. The thing is, there is danger of you doing your job too well, and I believe you might have recognised this as you've finally released a release date.

Perfectionism, while useful in some circumstances, can be deadly in business. But cheap shoddy goods - we've all had enough of. I spent so long developing a prototype once that someone else made a rubbish version and was awarded $50 000 by our prime minister for their 'innovation' - 17 years after I had proof of concept. That HURT. Not only did I lose the free advertising and first place in the market, but the nationwide kudos for being a very clever bastard with solutions for big problems. Now the cheap crap breaks down and my prototype is still running 20 years later, but nobody cares. An 'also ran' despite winning the race so many years before others even started - perfectionism is like stopping before the finish line to make sure your hair looks ok for the photo. :D

I always try to be ethical and fastidious when providing any good or service but a lot of folks take advantage of those traits as weaknesses, valuing instead competitiveness, and outright theft. Mimicry is not flattery when it involves your own creations, it is heartbreaking.

I've had my writing, comedy, science and inventing plagiarised. I can take the hits when I don't have people in my employ, and I also have an long list of projects (problems to solve with lucrative/kudos potential) that have caught my interest. Can you say the same?

I want to see this game out. If you got pipped at the post it would hurt me a whole lot. Cos I've been watching your form and I know another perfectionist when I see them. I really hope we all get to see what you have set out to do: Make a great product for a decent price and go above and beyond because you can. You are an exemplar in the game world. So good luck, but get on with it!

Inari
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Inari »

Dry Hairy Tree wrote: ↑
Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:19 am
As you folks know - you do an amazing job. The thing is, there is danger of you doing your job too well, and I believe you might have recognised this as you've finally released a release date.

Perfectionism, while useful in some circumstances, can be deadly in business. But cheap shoddy goods - we've all had enough of. I spent so long developing a prototype once that someone else made a rubbish version and was awarded $50 000 by our prime minister for their 'innovation' - 17 years after I had proof of concept. That HURT. Not only did I lose the free advertising and first place in the market, but the nationwide kudos for being a very clever bastard with solutions for big problems. Now the cheap crap breaks down and my prototype is still running 20 years later, but nobody cares. An 'also ran' despite winning the race so many years before others even started - perfectionism is like stopping before the finish line to make sure your hair looks ok for the photo. :D

I always try to be ethical and fastidious when providing any good or service but a lot of folks take advantage of those traits as weaknesses, valuing instead competitiveness, and outright theft. Mimicry is not flattery when it involves your own creations, it is heartbreaking.

I've had my writing, comedy, science and inventing plagiarised. I can take the hits when I don't have people in my employ, and I also have an long list of projects (problems to solve with lucrative/kudos potential) that have caught my interest. Can you say the same?

I want to see this game out. If you got pipped at the post it would hurt me a whole lot. Cos I've been watching your form and I know another perfectionist when I see them. I really hope we all get to see what you have set out to do: Make a great product for a decent price and go above and beyond because you can. You are an exemplar in the game world. So good luck, but get on with it!
Not sure I'm reading that right, but what are you doing, taking 17 years to go from proof of concept to prototype? And then apparently the "cheap" thing lasted 20 years and apparently was cheap. Where as your still-prototype has been in the making for 37 years? Sounds like a win for the cheap thing, since it probably consumed much less time for the amount of time it ran.

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Inari wrote: ↑
Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:39 pm
Not sure I'm reading that right,
I read it as, my prototype from 20 years ago is still running, i was 17 years into the testing when some crappy version of a similar thing went on the market, winning prizes and money, before it appears that it was buggy and unstable on the long run ( because not enough test ? ). Now people think i just copied something that is known for poor quality and won't even try my thing.

It is very different understanding :lol: ( and also a sad story ).

The comparaison with factorio would be: you could spend 20 years to make a very polished game and you nice enough to keep price low while in the meantime other people put their crappy games 1 year developement at the same price and in 20 years you might buy 2 because you can forget what it is to play crappy game a decade after you bought the first one.

Not even talking about sport simulation, Pay 2 win, and other disguised betting scheme but those do score "wins" sadly, sometimes even just surprisingly. In this view factorio would be the inspiring sucessful underdog :).

Return to β€œNews”