Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by FactorioBot »

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #321 - Countdown

Post by billbo99 »

Any significance to the date "25th September" ?

Kostriktor
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Kostriktor »

do it !
1.0 !
and then Factorio 2 !!
with cash-shop for character personalisation !!
and super complicated and skill requiring combat !
easily will beat fortnite

DiegoG
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by DiegoG »

25th september, huh? I'm excited!

MEOWMI
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by MEOWMI »

This decision is too aptly timed. "3, 2, 1", "countdown".

Glad to hear of this! You've put so much work into it, you deserve to reap the rewards of a full release, whatever exactly that will bring for Factorio.

Rue99
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Rue99 »

September next year? Madness. Stick a '1.0' label on it, and ship it, it's beautiful right now, as it is. I'd rather be buying the first expansion DLC in September next year than watch you wonderful people gild the lily ad infinitum!

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

Congrats for the deadline ! that's the first time there is one announced :), and also it sounds like a realistic one, a deadline choosen by the devs when they feel like it's time.

It is also pleasant too hear that the team is growing. Making it sound like the adventure will continue.

It is very pleasant to read that good ethics is not preventing a videogame to earn a living for its developpers and it feels good to be a small part of this story as a player. It is nice too see your success recognized. Hopefully many people can learn from your experience.

It is pleasant to hear that the developpement will not end with version 1.0. It makes me curious to see how polish a game can be during the next 10 month !

(PS : the yellow underground belt in the picture is too long the two sides can't be connected and there is lubricant in the boiler , and no wire to the speaker, and oh it's just a picture i see sorry for the habit. )

CorBlimey
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by CorBlimey »

mmmPI wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:17 pm
Congrats for the deadline ! that's the first time there is one announced :), and also it sounds like a realistic one, a deadline choosen by the devs when they feel like it's time.

It is also pleasant too hear that the team is growing. Making it sound like the adventure will continue.

It is very pleasant to read that good ethics is not preventing a videogame to earn a living for its developpers and it feels good to be a small part of this story as a player. It is nice too see your success recognized. Hopefully many people can learn from your experience.

It is pleasant to hear that the developpement will not end with version 1.0. It makes me curious to see how polish a game can be during the next 10 month !

(PS : the yellow underground belt in the picture is too long the two sides can't be connected and there is lubricant in the boiler , and no wire to the speaker, and oh it's just a picture i see sorry for the habit. )
and what kind of a monster puts gears on the same belt as nuke fuel :D

Filter62
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Filter62 »

Wow, Good luck with release date! Btw, your game is in perfect shape) Never seen that level of polish and optimisation before))) Only on 8-bit games, when there was not enough space and specs, so you had to optimize if you wanted good game) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

25th September 2020... So just 314 days 4 hours 36 minutes 30 seconds huh? XD

Omarflyjoemacky
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Omarflyjoemacky »

Rue99 wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:08 pm
September next year? Madness. Stick a '1.0' label on it, and ship it, it's beautiful right now, as it is. I'd rather be buying the first expansion DLC in September next year than watch you wonderful people gild the lily ad infinitum!
Second this!
"And then Bender ran."

Tempest_D
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Tempest_D »

In the world of mechanical engineering the saying goes, "Always have two engineers work on a project. One to do the work and the other to tell the first one when to stop."

Even in areo-space every project has two deadlines. The first is the cut off for new ideas and innovation. Any ideas past that point, no matter how brilliant, are saved for the next revision and the remaining time on the current revision is spent refining what's already there.

So it sounds like your team is doing it right. :D

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

Wonderful news, it's really reassuring that you guys upkeep the same standards even this late in development. Although the date is almost a year from now, it is a somewhat strange feeling to see something like Factorio officially called 1.0 . Of course considering development won't stop (Spidertron you are not forgotten) and the game in it's current version already puts most other triple A games long after their release to shame.
With such a big announcement you should think about updating the trailer, or maybe even better create a new one focusing on the improved graphics and features like artillery and nuclear with aren't represented by the current one.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Christmas is coming! :lol:

Welcome Ian and Allaizn!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

meganothing
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by meganothing »

billbo99 wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:59 pm
Any significance to the date "25th September" ?
"Remember, Remember,
the 25th of September,
..."

;)

ThunderFD
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ThunderFD »

DAMN that'll be my 23rd Birthday! thank you guys for the present! :D (but you kinda ruined the surprise...)

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

You know what, I hate you guys now.

So you set a date... I've been telling you to do that sort of thing for years, and you always told me it would never work for Factorio.

I also wanted to work on quite a few things to help the game out in source, but you said "we're trying to get things stable, stop putting up PRs". Don't forget that many of those were bugfixes, and then you kick me out of source access. (someone said because I was inactive, yeah, because you told me to stop doing PRs for a bit because stable.)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

BuDDaH77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BuDDaH77 »

that yellow underground belt going under the factorio logo in the new coverart is hurting my eyes/brain... the underground entrance is fully saturated everything after the exit is almost empty!

or is it just a easter-egg pointing to not yet announced underground-splitter? ;)

Philip017
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Philip017 »

9/25/20 is a good goal to release a solid 1.0 even if 0.17 is really close already.

after release I hope you enjoy a good vacation and come back to work refreshed to add some additional content, even if it is just mods and bug fixes. and for those that move on to other projects, best wishes in your future.

Inglonias
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Inglonias »

BuDDaH77 wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:35 pm
that yellow underground belt going under the factorio logo in the new coverart is hurting my eyes/brain... the underground entrance is fully saturated everything after the exit is almost empty!

or is it just a easter-egg pointing to not yet announced underground-splitter? ;)
Ok, you made me look at the cover art and notice that there are several inconsistencies, actually. Darn you. It's ruined forever now. Spoilered so that those of you who haven't noticed can still appreciate the pretty cover art.
  • The belt, as BuDDaH77 pointed out.
  • The pipe going from the refinery to the heat exchanger with a green liquid, and then the heat exchanger goes back into the refinery.
  • There's a long inserter next to a chest that it can't use because it's even with the shorter inserters next to it.
  • The lamp in the art is yellow. Not possible in game without a circuit connection, which isn't there.
Is this nitpicking? Yes. Does it matter? Probably not. Does it bother me? Maybe a little.

BuDDaH77
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by BuDDaH77 »

Inglonias wrote: ↑
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:43 pm
Darn you.
sorry :lol:

Return to β€œNews”