Tank + Nuclear fuel + Re-enforced concrete = Me crashing in to my own base

Post all other topics which do not belong to any other category.
Mihle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Tank + Nuclear fuel + Re-enforced concrete = Me crashing in to my own base

Post by Mihle »

Tank + Nuclear fuel + Re-enforced concrete = Me crashing in to my own base because I didn't slow down enough in time.

Pandrosos
Inserter
Inserter

Re: Tank + Nuclear fuel + Re-enforced concrete = Me crashing in to my own base

Post by Pandrosos »

I think crashing the tank (and indeed the car) into your own base is something of a rite of passage. I've been lucky, the worst I did so far was demolish the chest holding my entire stock of furnaces.

And that's why it's best to have a rule of no tanks in the base.

Mihle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mihle »

Pandrosos wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:40 am
I think crashing the tank (and indeed the car) into your own base is something of a rite of passage. I've been lucky, the worst I did so far was demolish the chest holding my entire stock of furnaces.

And that's why it's best to have a rule of no tanks in the base.
I usually place the rank right inside of the walls, but so many times I have had too high speed to slow down in time so I have ended up further in to my base, usually crashing in some things. Usually it's power poles and some inserters and possibly accumulator. Tried to put one player of wall to protect for example power poles, but sometimes I have had so much speed that I have gone through that too... Right now if I forget to slow down early enough, if I remember in time I will crash in to the outer wall instead or earlier, drive in a loop to have time slowing down.

I wish tanks breaks was more effective when it can get so fast....

conn11
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by conn11 »

The tank could be renamed Bulldozer, especially in base, but then again, nothing the con bots couldn’t handle (or if I‘ve forget to avoid the space bar, while carrying nuclear rockets). Just don’t drive near anywhere expensive, like your reactor blocks, or silo(s).

nog
Inserter
Inserter

Post by nog »

Is your car in real life, or your bike, stops instantly when you hit brake pedal or squeeze the lever ?
If the answer is "no", then think again the implicit question in OP

Mihle
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Mihle »

nog wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:34 pm
Is your car in real life, or your bike, stops instantly when you hit brake pedal or squeeze the lever ?
There was no question in the OP....

But
Does tanks in real life accelerate as fast as the tank with nuclear fuel does in factorio? If the answer is "no" then what you said is invalid (btw they do not)
But there is something in between what it is in the game now and instantly.... I am quite sure my trains have better breaks than my tank :)

Pi-C
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Pi-C »

Mihle wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:54 pm
I am quite sure my trains have better breaks than my tank :)
Could be because there is research for Braking force of trains -- but not for cars? (In factorio, tanks are cars …)
A good mod deserves a good changelog. Here's a tutorial (WIP) about Factorio's way too strict changelog syntax!

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

conn11 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:02 am
The tank could be renamed Bulldozer, especially in base, but then again, nothing the con bots couldn’t handle (or if I‘ve forget to avoid the space bar, while carrying nuclear rockets). Just don’t drive near anywhere expensive, like your reactor blocks, or silo(s).
I personally prefer the term "mechanized battering ram", but yeah, in my experience ramming stuff is actually the most efficient way to use the tank. No need to waste resources on any kind of ammo, just a couple of repair packs. And later on you can use some PLDs and a discharge defense to prevent yourself from getting tarpitted (relevant for big/behemoth biters since they have enough health to actually stop you).

Also to OP: If you're driving on concrete you're probably somewhere in your factory. I recommend using the tank strictly as a combat/exploration vehicle (good for smashing through forests) and using a car for personal transport instead.

Premu
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Premu »

I guess that's a balancing issue. Later in the game the biters are no threat to your base anymore, so there must be something else which can cause damage and force you to do repairs. :lol:

Inside my base I only use a car, though at least most times the crashes don't directly destroy the thing I run into.

JimBarracus
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by JimBarracus »

nog wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:34 pm
a tank has way better braking abilities than any car
a leopard 2 has a braking distance of 20 meters from 70 to 0 kmh
a car needs about 50m to stop

GlassDeviant
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by GlassDeviant »

Mihle wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:54 pm
Does tanks in real life accelerate as fast as the tank with nuclear fuel does in factorio?
Moot point since there are no nuclear powered tanks yet (irl) and they are a long way off since the issues of size, radiation shielding and mass relative to the rest of the tank will be major factors.
JimBarracus wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:35 am

a tank has way better braking abilities than any car
a leopard 2 has a braking distance of 20 meters from 70 to 0 kmh
a car needs about 50m to stop
A tank is mounted on massive metal treads each encasing many wheels. Some even engage reverse propulsion to enhance the braking factor. Big difference. And yes this means I think tanks in Factorio need to brake much more effectively.
- GD

Sorry if my posts are becoming difficult to read, my typing ability is rapidly deteriorating due to a nerve disorder. I try to clean them up before posting but don't always get every last typo.

mudcrabempire
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by mudcrabempire »

Also keep in mind that the factorio tank weights 10 times more than the factorio locomotive. Yes, 10 times heavier. This is the primary reason why acceleration and braking is so slow: It just takes hell of a lot of energy. Not sure how real-life tanks compare to that.

Return to “General discussion”