How exactly do RoboPorts work with each other?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How exactly do RoboPorts work with each other?

Post by silman »

I understand that the the green area is the perimeter of construction bots, and orange is the perimeter for logistic bots, and i know that the robotports link up to the distance of the orange area. My understanding so far is that if two roboports are linked then they can share bots between each other. Does that mean more links will transfer more bots to a specific roboport faster? If a item needs construction and its next to a roboport holding no bots, but linked to one that has a bunch will the one with bots send them over at a cerain rate? or will the bots instantly come out of the one which was given no bots?

Moreover what i a roboport has no bots and has something to construct near it but it is linked to one with many bots, if they are sent betweenroboports at a specific rate would it not sometimes be faster just to send the bots out from the one which already has them instead of waiting for them to get to the other port?

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: How exactly do RoboPorts work with each other?

Post by Junion »

Roboports don't physically connect. All a roboport does is decide your bot network, recharge robots, and give them a home, when they are not in use.

All robots move from area to area on their own power. And when not in use, go into a roboport to store themselves. When they get a command, they pop out of the roboport they went into.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

So if i made a huge roboport network but to start out only loaded up one roboport with a ton of and then somewhere far off i called in a construction order, they would have to come from far away where i loaded them up, and then would return to the nearest roboport?

Does the game automatically decide which bots to send out based on the nearest roboport with bots in it?

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Yes and Yes.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

My construction bots seem to pause randomly with items in their grips and not move the items to storage boxes, i can get them to wake up by taking away and replacing the roboport, but why are they doing this? They have plenty of energy in them.

Jace_Macleod
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Jace_Macleod »

Do you have separate logistics networks? I believe the whole construction robot stopping in midair thing happens because there is no storage space available in the closest logistics network. Removing roboports fixes the issue because they then default to the next closest logistics network, probably your main one. Placing storage chests near that roboport you removed should also get them to move.

As to avoiding the issue coming up in the first place, I'm not actually sure. It's not quite a bug, but it is kind of annoying.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

The bots don't know, where to place the "leftover" of some transport task. Try to add a storage chest into your logistic network.

https://forums.factorio.com/wiki/inde ... rage_chest
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Return to “Gameplay Help”