[Twinsen] [0.17.76] Tooltips for tile creating items inconsistent

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

[Twinsen] [0.17.76] Tooltips for tile creating items inconsistent

Post by valneq »

I realized that the new tooltips show an inconsistency for items that can be used for paving the floor.

Especially stone bricks and hazard concrete make this apparent:

The recipe is called "stone brick", but the tooltip for the produced item says "stone path".
Furthermore, hovering over the produced item, the tooltip says "stone path", with the information that the hovered item can be used to build stone paths.
While in principle, this is no problem, other recipes (e.g. stone walls) require the ingredient "stone brick".

[edit:] Opening the debug information via F5, hovering over the item "stone brick" correctly shows debug information about the item "stone brick", not about the tile "stone path"[/edit]

The same phenomenon can be observed with hazard concrete. The produced item is called "Hazard concrete left" in the tooltip -- both for the result of the recipe, as well as for the item in the inventory.

Is it possible that someone confused the item-name and the tile-name strings upon implementing the new tooltips?

The above observation applies to vanilla Factorio 0.17.76.

Even more confusing things happen, when you have mods loaded that define items that can be used to pave the floor. See for example clay bricks from Angel's smelting: There you get Unknown key "tile-name:clay-bricks" when hovering over the item clay brick in your inventory.

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [Twinsen] [0.17.76] Tooltips for tile creating items inconsistent

Post by Twinsen »

Fixed in Version: 0.17.77

Thanks for the report.

Let me know if you notice more situations where an item inside the tooltip overrides the tooltip name.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

I saw something suspicious with PetrochemPlus Redux:

There is a recipe with internal name "recipe-name:bacterial-growth-seed-cultivation". While Crowdin claims that its English locale is "Bacterial Mother Growth (Initial)", the game displays the recipe name as "Bacterial Mother (Recipe)".

Similarly, the recipe "recipe-name:bacterial-growth-seed-cultivation2" is displayed as "12 × Bacterial Mother (Recipe)", while it should be "Bacterial Mother Cultivation" according to Crowdin.

Both recipes share the following property: They have only one type of item as product. However, since they both produce the same item (with different amounts, and different ingredients), it makes sense for the mod author to give different names to the recipes. The new tooltips appear to not respect that.

However, I am only 95% sure that this behavior is different with the new tooltips.

[add:] I can obviously only see that in 0.17.76, and this might be corrected with the solution for the original issue. However, I wanted to mention it somewhere. [/add]

Twinsen
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Twinsen »

I believe it always worked like that and it's intended. (correct me if i'm wrong)

This is because the product is not shown when there is only one product, thus the name and quantity needs to be shown in the title.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

valneq wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:37 am
Both recipes share the following property: They have only one type of item as product. However, since they both produce the same item (with different amounts, and different ingredients), it makes sense for the mod author to give different names to the recipes. The new tooltips appear to not respect that.
Twinsen wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:02 pm
I believe it always worked like that and it's intended. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Twinsen is correct, the behavior and how to change it is documented here: https://wiki.factorio.com/Prototype/Recipe#main_product
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

Alright, I see. Switching between different tooltip versions from 0.17.74 to 0.17.76 and languages English <-> German, and proofreading the one or the other string here and there starts to trick my memory into believing I had seen the localized recipe names in the game. I guess I was wrong.

I actually checked these exact recipes (recipe-name:bacterial-growth-seed-cultivation and recipe-name:bacterial-growth-seed-cultivation2) by downgrading to 0.17.74. You are right, the recipe title is displayed with its product only.

You are welcome to move this to [Resolved for next release], since the original issue has been resolved. In case I find some other inconsistencies, I will open a new bug report -- then you can prove me wrong again ;)

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”