Friday Facts #320 - Color correction

Regular reports on Factorio development.
macripp
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #320 - Color correction

Post by macripp »

I like the idea of depicting the planet and its nature in brighter, more vivid colours.
But as for the factory, I prefer a darker, dirtier more grungy look.
Let's be honest: the factory damages the planet and its nature, it causes dirt and pollution. For me, that doesn't go with bright, vibrant colors.
I would like to see untouched nature represented in vibrant, vivid colours that become darker and dirtier as nature becomes more and more exposed to pollution. One could probably use the Pollution layer as a mask for the strength of the color change.
My 2 cents on color correction.

PhasmaNL
Inserter
Inserter

Post by PhasmaNL »

Big improvement!

Agamemnon
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Agamemnon »

In case, we are holding a vote: I actually like the more vibrant colors. It's just enough to make the game look better without overdoing it. (like Diablo3 did)

Also having some trees be strangely colored is cool. I definitely won't chop those down.

Henry Loenwind
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Henry Loenwind »

thumbs down

The daylight colors now have to many bright spots that cause your iris to contract. (That's what people mean when they say they're "blinded" by something.) The old scheme has much lower brightness differences and bright spots. That probably doesn't matter in an office environment, but most of use work in the day and only play in the evening, when rooms are not lit as brightly.

The night colors are ok---if you want people to build lights to see anything. For me, the unlit area in that picture is a featureless blueish gray blob.

TL;DR: If I wanted to play in a bubblegum-colored world, I'd play Autonauts...

mmmPI
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mmmPI »

When i saw the two different sides of the first picture i was unsure which one was the newest, both are appealing to me, pretty sure i could only tell there was a difference thanks to seeing them both at the same time. I appreciate the new map view, that has less blue. I'm glad to read this is taken seriously by passionnate people that must have better eyesight than me.

The new night seems a bit too blue for me on the picture but i'm curious to see in game with lamps and the day/night cycle.

It made me think to this post (viewtopic.php?f=80&t=22760) that is linking together topics like general visibility, with support for colorblind, i am thinking it would be nice if it was possible to do something about this during post processing. Like maybe a tool to parameter.

If those developments could possibly be adapted by creative modders to give to different surfaces different lighting/atmosphere i know i would be excited to try them out !

Filter62
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Filter62 »

I like new night. But I'm just curious, won't this new colors be too colorful and hard on eyes? :roll:

bobucles
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobucles »

Monitors don't get any brighter than the outdoor sun, so I dunno how so many eyes are getting injured. It may be time to invest in some TV curtains. :lol:

I can see the need to maintain strong color contrast for clarity's sake. For example it's much harder to see the colors on the T1 belt icon compared to the old dimmer one. The details on the top of the medium power pole also seem much fuzzier with the higher saturation. That's the sort of stuff that gets into fine tuning.

aka13
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by aka13 »

I myself like the old look more. A config would be sweet.
Pony/Furfag avatar? Opinion discarded.

Filter62
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Filter62 »

aka13 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm
Yeah, option for color correction modes would be cool) Like old one, new one, potentially more? XD

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

I'm loving the new colors. Especially the night ones.
We’ve used scripts to apply LUTs to most of the images, and one such script is ready for mod authors to clone or download here
Pretty awesome of you guys to disponibilize that.

Unknow0059
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Unknow0059 »

Filter62 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:31 pm
aka13 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm
Yeah, option for color correction modes would be cool) Like old one, new one, potentially more? XD
It would be awesome. But it would be an entirely new feature. They used scripts to color correct the sprites - it's not done on-the-go.

TN_Creator
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TN_Creator »

Woah, really not sure about this one.

That dark rusty desaturated vibe is a very important part of the game, the Fallout 1/2 look is really a very appealing part of the game for me.

Tuning that down to something more colorful and luminous sounds very... debatable.

The new night is far too blue too.

But of course that's a subjective opinion.

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

I work in the lighting industry. Glare is NOT a matter of total intensity (below a certain threshold). What is important are brightness differences in proximity. Even compared to the black background of the website, the new lock meets the highest UGR (unitfied glare rating) demands. We are certainly safe, no eye harm incoming! You might still don't like the new look, but that's a different story.

I appreciate the new look because today the brightness intensity is way too low for the many details we have to see. A workplace environment lit like todays factorio would not meet the demands of the German Arbeitsstättenverordnung (workplace ordinance). And this refers to the factorio day! During the night in the early game, without lights, my eyes hurt badly after some time. Thank god, we can do things in map view.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Candù wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:40 pm
That test world needs more pollution, there is too much natural light reaching the ground
How hard would it be to modify the LUT according to the pollution at the players (center of screen) position? An assembler right next to the coal mine should look dirty while one next to the solar farm should sparkle. Basing it on the pollution at the players position won't be ideal (the look for the same assembler changes as you move around) but the difference should be small enough to work.

gumak
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by gumak »

Is there any assumption when color changes will appear in the experimental release? Want to try it so bad...

ikarikeiji
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by ikarikeiji »

Loving the new colouring.

Perhaps darker/less saturated tones could be used when in a polluted area though? Then you would really feel the effect of destroying the native area.

Mavi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mavi »

I really love the idea that the more polluted the world is, the more "dark" or "before update color" it should be.

Duker
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Duker »

Loving the new colors, factorio always had that drab & dreary feeling (in a negative way). New night seems excessively dark though, hoping it gets adjusted to be more similar darkness level as the old.

For anyone thinking the new colors are too bright I suggest lowering the brightness on your monitor. Yes seriously, you more than likely have it excessively bright anyway as most people do.

Fuersten_Krone
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Fuersten_Krone »

I like the new look (No idea why the others are crying like that) Bonus points, if you can implement a way to automaticly go (gradually) back to the old look (and beyond) when the pollution rises. And vice versa: when the pollution goes back, it should take at least 5 times so long to go back one gradient to the new look.

[Annotation: English is not my mother tounge, i hope you can understand what i want to say…]

PunkSkeleton
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by PunkSkeleton »

I am usually in the minority so it's no surprise that I really like the new colors. Especially the new night is a big step forward.

Anyway, for those who don't like it, I think pollution should desaturate the colors. All clean areas should be vivid but concrete deserts that many players like to build should look really, really sad :).

Return to “News”