Friday Facts #320 - Color correction

Regular reports on Factorio development.
FactorioBot
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Friday Facts #320 - Color correction

Post by FactorioBot »

Gergely
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Friday Facts #320 - Color correction

Post by Gergely »

Another change we didn't know we needed. Great!

Candù
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Candù »

That test world needs more pollution, there is too much natural light reaching the ground

RockDeicide
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by RockDeicide »

The orange is burning my eyes, not a fan; I don't think one should be required to wear sunglasses to play the game.

TheoMarque
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by TheoMarque »

Very nice! I often turn off genratorig desetrs beacause I do not like "faded sands". Now i very vibrant, and I feel warm from this desert.

And one thing to correct - oil deposits on minimap - correct theese "purple" dots to something else or adjust it's tone (maybe replace it with WHITE spots?

posila
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by posila »

Thanks to posila, we can use LUTs (Look up tables) to dynamically modify the colors.
Actually, wheybags made the LUT in-game integration.

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

The changes look fabulous! Really looking forward to seeing the light!
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

EnigmaticAussie
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by EnigmaticAussie »

FYI, the graphics on the FFF are confusing, as you would normally think that the LHS is old, and the RHS is new.

But it appears to be reversed - unless my eyes are really really playing tricks on me.

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

Very nice. I like vibrant colours when put to good use - especially now in the dark season :)

I wonder about the change of map colours: there are some terrain differences which show in the old colours, and others which show in the new exclusively: Both colours A and B in the old mapping are mapped now to THIS brown (see indicators in attachment). All other regions' contrast is nicely enhanced (or at least not reduced).
Bildschirmfoto von »2019-11-08 16-45-33«.png
Bildschirmfoto von »2019-11-08 16-45-33«.png (223.66 KiB) Viewed 15635 times
Last edited by planetmaker on Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blizgerg
Inserter
Inserter

Post by blizgerg »

Beautiful.

I wonder how that'd interact with mods like NightBrightness and BlackMap

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

This is quite a significant change to the overall theme, and I'm not really a fan. I know I'm in the minority here. People like colorful and super saturated. It's the visual version of the smiley face equalizer curve. I'd always adored Factorio refusing to adopt it. :( It's a hard sell with the rusted and worn look of the sprites when the colors are that vibrant.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

It was good to see the cliffs highlighted a bit more on the map as they are though to see for my old eyes.

AntiElitz
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by AntiElitz »

I really do love the new brightness and saturation. I always felt like having cataract, when playing the game, but now no more! Awesome!
However i think the night should get some further tweaks. While I like the blue "shadow" I think it got a bit too strong. I have trouble to see what colors the Inserters have in the night now and this feels like missing some important information. Also I feel like night got a slightly bit too dark now. I do really like the new style though.

netmand
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by netmand »

on some of those I thought it was the same as comparing the view between daylight view and night vision view. It made sense to me that goggles would flatten the colors... I don't miss the old way when it made everything green.

MrGrim
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by MrGrim »

Regarding the LUT, does it use a shader, or does it alter the system color profile? Games tend to have a bad habit of overriding that, which is why I'm curious. I calibrate my display, and it's quite a dance to get a lot of games to obey the color profile. See https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/games ... es.387074/ for examples.

ownlyme
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by ownlyme »

i told you when 0.17 came out...
now it seems like it lacks a bit of contrast.. maybe adjust it by pollution

edit: WTF i thought you were going to make it darker, but you are seriously going to make it even more saturated? Hell...
I've even written TWO tree mods to desaturate this freaking candyland!

You could just add a vibrance slider in the settings, but no you decided to do it the intrusive way..

1.1GB "Desaturation Mod" incoming in 3..2..1...
(probably not.. sounds like a ton of work and a nightmare to maintain..)
Last edited by ownlyme on Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
mods.factorio.com/user/ownlyme
My requests: uiAbove||Grenade arc||Blueprint allies||Creeps forget command/ don't get removed||Player Modifiers||textbox::selection||Better Heat IF||Singleplayer RCON||tank bug w/ min_range >= projectile_creation_distance

maniak1349
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by maniak1349 »

Can't say that I like this new look. Way to bright and vivid for my taste. And that blue hue at night makes it even harder to see. I hope that there will be on option to have old colors back.

marvtobi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by marvtobi »

I agree the colors from before need work, but...
I think you went way to far with saturation and the intensity of the colors. I like the night shift to blue somewhat, but i hope we get a set of sliders for brightness, saturation and contrast ingame. It looks very poppy and bright, the old colors felt more natural and real to me. If you gave me a choice i would pick the before picture almost always. I like the tree shades tho. Do you guys work on color calibrated displays?

Cadde
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cadde »

I am NOT a fan of this change.

1) It's gotten TOO bright overall. Some things could do with some brightness but not everything.

2) Saturation and colors should be reserved for vibrant stuff. Most stuff in the world isn't supposed to be vibrant. Not everything is trying to get your attention, not everything is looking for a mate. For example, circuit boards don't need to be lime green like that. Nor vibrant red.

3) "Alien planet" means what exactly? Because to me it just means another planet with life on it that evolved under the conditions present at that planet.
What amount of star(sun)light is available? What color tone is it? Is there a reflective moon? Are there two suns?
What paths did the alien life take to evolve into it's current state?
To be frank, the game currently (before the change) looks earth like which just happens to be inhabited by giant cockroaches that learned to spit acid. (and consequently, the worm base defenses are out of place really)
I liked this familiarity, it meant i could ignore the "alien" enemies and instead enjoy the game as if it was played on earth.

Also, let's assume for a moment this really IS an alien planet in another solar system... Well, how did we get there then? By railway?
Because most of the machines in the game are "steampunky" with old fashioned railways supported by wooden ties. The whole game really speaks a "this is planet earth" language that just happens to have "biters" and "spitters" on it. Replace the current enemy with tribal people throwing feces with slings and it would be entirely indistinguishable from earth.

Carnivale
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Carnivale »

The new colors look great on a properly calibrated monitor.

Return to “News”