Client Slow Download Speeds

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
An_Engineer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Client Slow Download Speeds

Post by An_Engineer »

Hi everyone,

I'm downloading the new alpha 17.74 and am noticing that I'm downloading at 225KBps (1.8Mbps)

Why is it so slow?

Thanks!

_Attila_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Client Slow Download Speeds

Post by _Attila_ »

I am getting this too today. < 300 kBps
Attila's QuickBar Mod - Auto-links hand crafted item to first free quickbar slot if not already linked.
Attila's Signals Mod - Alternate signals to use in same circuit as standard signals.
Attila's Zoom Mod - Modifies zoom functionality.

_Attila_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by _Attila_ »

I want to bump this as it is being ignored and it is very annoying.

It used to take me a minute or two to D/L an update or a full version. Now it takes 1.5 hours.
Attila's QuickBar Mod - Auto-links hand crafted item to first free quickbar slot if not already linked.
Attila's Signals Mod - Alternate signals to use in same circuit as standard signals.

invisible4ever
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by invisible4ever »

I would also like to bump.
Download speeds of 200kb/s is too slow.
Taking 30 minutes until the game is ready to play is not contemporary.

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

invisible4ever wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:58 pm
I would also like to bump.
Download speeds of 200kb/s is too slow.
Taking 30 minutes until the game is ready to play is not contemporary.
Hi invisible4ever (and _Attila_),
We are not noticing any degraded download speeds, however, I would like to help you debug this. Since I can see both of you are using ipv6, please try the following ipv4-only URL to download the game:
For Europe: https://factorio.com/get-download/0.17. ... ctorio.com
For North America: https://factorio.com/get-download/0.17. ... ctorio.com

Please let me know what the download speeds using the link appropriate for your region are.
ovo

_Attila_
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by _Attila_ »

I am getting normal speeds with whatever the default settings are. I just updated one of my installs from 17.69 to 17.79. All is well at the moment, but it was very slow for days when I first posted.

invisible4ever
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by invisible4ever »

Thanks a lot, but the game updater still downloads with slow speed.

Sanqui
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Sanqui »

invisible4ever wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:39 pm
Thanks a lot, but the game updater still downloads with slow speed.
So the download speeds you get on the link above are adequate? Please also let me know how good the speeds are when you download the game from https://factorio.com/download, so I can help you with this issue.
ovo

invisible4ever
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by invisible4ever »

When i was updating yesterday, i hang at 200Kb/s (from in-game).
I tried downloading from the Download page (the latter link of yours) and got 200Kb/s as well.
I checked for my bandwidth (on ookla) and it showed the expected 57Mbit/s (as such, it's around 7Mb/s).
The IPv4 download you linked did 7Mb/s yesterday.

Interestingly, the download speed from the Download page is back up to 7Mb/s today.

Kind Regards and lots of thanks for the fast answers.

An_Engineer
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by An_Engineer »

Sanqui wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:36 pm
We are not noticing any degraded download speeds, however, I would like to help you debug this. Since I can see both of you are using ipv6, please try the following ipv4-only URL to download the game:
For North America: https://factorio.com/get-download/0.17. ... ctorio.com

Please let me know what the download speeds using the link appropriate for your region are.
Just downloaded using the North America link 17.79. Download speeds were at 112Mbps which is vastly better than before.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

Sanqui wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:36 pm
For the new update i too was consistently assigned to that 30kByte/s server. Using the IPv4-only europe link i got 300kByte/s.
ipv6-test.com says, that my machine can't connect to sites using IPv6. It can resolve IPv4 addresses using DNS6 though. So i now try to convince my Windows 7 to get full IPv6 access.
You still might want to fix the server assignment algorithm for people having DNS6 from their router but no IPv6 connectivity on their PC. There surely are more people with misconfigured equipment or misbehaving routers out there...

spalger
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by spalger »

I'm trying to download 0.17.79 for macOS from http://www.factorio.com/download and it's coming down at about 150kbps in the US. After waiting about an hour the network connection was reset and the download failed :(

I was able to get it to download at about 5Mbps by writing a script to use range requests, downloading the whole file in 30 parallel chunks and then reconstructing them on my end.

After all this I'm guessing that nginx is configured to implement simple rate limiting but something isn't working as intended. Each stream I downloaded was similarly limited in speed, and I was getting 503s if I started the parallel requests too quickly (had to wait about 10 seconds when starting requests)

ofork
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by ofork »

I'm also getting terrible speeds downloading the alpha version on mac... so bad that there was a new version out before I had finished downloading 18.20. Current download speed is about 30kb/s. I'm in australia.

ChiBeaGReenie
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by ChiBeaGReenie »

Download speeds from Telekom in Germany have also been pretty bad at times (like right now) with max 250kb/s. Downloading over a cloud server in the US is > 20 times faster...

Return to “Technical Help”