Topics and discussion about specific mods
PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

[0.17+] Spaceblock

Post by PyroFire »

Spaceblock

Seablock, but without the sea.

The biggest difference from this mod to seablock is that Spaceblock relies exclusively on vanilla, and does not need any other mods to function.
It's the "vanilla-standalone" version of seablock, but in space.

Currently there are no "worm islands", nor special reasons to explore / expand out your platform, but this may be added in the future.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: [0.17+] Spaceblock

Post by BlueTemplar »

If you gaze long into an abyss...
So that's why kids, you automate the process !
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Durngor
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Durngor »

Mixed Feelings, great Promise

I wanted a new mod and this just got updated, so I went for it.

I really like the general Idea, but have some Problems with the balancing. So far I am 4+ hours in, and the only thing I am Producing is Stone. The initial Bunch of Landfill was used up early and now of my 38 assemblers, 22 are producing Stone, 11 Coal for Power, 1 Landfill, and 4 mixed stuff (iron or copper). And just now I had to switch my 2/2 Iron and Copper assemblers to 4 iron, because I have to actually get more, because only now can I see the use of research. Before that, the only thing I had to get was Landfill.

As you made the comparison to seablocks, that modpack had you do more in the time you had to wait for Landfill to accumulate, so Landfill was not the Prominent thing and more of a byproduct of things you already needed to advance the techtree. But here it is the only thing that matter to me right now, and it is not an interresting or challenging recipe. The advancement becomes secondary and all other need besides Landfill are pretty useless, as one does not have the space to place anything ... (you see where this is going). And I currently only need Landfill to get more Landfill, as I have jet to automate anything besides Power and Landfill, because I need more Space and I can handcraft everything as I wait for more Stone.

This is my current situation, and I am really thankful that Landfill production is unlocked from the beginning, as otherwise the space would be frustratingly small. But one can research Landfill in the Techtree again (can be removed or can be changed for a more efficient recipe)

Another thing I can see becomming a Problem in the future are the empty Oilbarrels. As you only get oil through the random drop (as far as I know), you will have a ton of them lying around. But there could be more so repilies could be marked with spoiler.

I really hope you find this to be helpfull and will continue developing this mod, as I really liked Seablocks and would like to play the continuation in Space.

Greetings
Durngor

PyroFire
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by PyroFire »

I have increased starter landfill to 1000 and you can destroy items at any time by putting it in a chest and shooting it.

Hope this helps :)

cmlburnett
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by cmlburnett »

Combination of Spaceblock and Krastorio runs into a problem in creating Imersite and Menarite from the powders (which prevents creating anything from the processing Menarite and Imersite like Imersite batteries, etc). The recipe creator spaceblock.RecipeFromResource overwrites the Krastorio recipes which prevents being able to create them. I got it to work by adjusting the recipe name:

Code: Select all

function spaceblock.RecipeFromResource(e)
  local dupe={name='SB'..e.name, ...
The root of this seems to be that the Krastorio defines the resource as "menarite" but results in "raw-menarite" (in prototypes/entity/resources.lua) for its mineable resource. It seems easier to just change the name of the modifying Spaceblock recipe rather than fixing Krastorio everywhere for this. I tested the above change with Spaceblock 0.3.2 and Krastorio 1.4.47 and seems to be ok. I don't know if it would break compatibility with Spaceblock and other modules though.

Would you consider the above change? Thanks!

splee
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by splee »

Just finished a run of Spaceblock 0.3.9 with 1.1.53 base Factorio version, enjoyed it a lot. No major issues of any kind, a couple of slightly rough edges I thought I'd note.

1/ First off, pumpjack, burner & electric miners all still exist

These can't ever be used, are kind of just traps. Maybe remove those buildings from crafting options?

2/ Mining productivity doesn't say how useful it is

The mining productivity tech doesn't say it benefits the ore & petrochem duplication recipes, but it does. That's cool, make design sense for mining productivity to help there, but maybe adjust the description for this? The tech tree currently suggests mining productivity bonus affects only the three irrelevant buildings (which I just called traps).

3/ Upgrade planner space <-> stone furnaces

The upgrade planner regards the space furnace as being the same "type" as stone or steel furnaces. They maybe shouldn't be. They don't share any recipes and there's never a situation where you'd swap a build from stone or steel to space matter furnaces. The space refinery & oil boiler don't have this issue, just the space furnaces.

4/ Space furnace impossible module slot

Also, space furnaces have a module slot which won't accept any kind of module. Which is fine, I don't think they need modules, but the impossible module slot probably doesn't need to exist? Maybe it's a technical thing to enable the space furnaces to get mining productivity bonuses?

5/ Steel / electric space furnace

The stone furnace art for space matter furnaces made me wonder whether there would be steel and electric versions of space furnaces, but there isn't. This is is fine, but it's just not quite what I expected. In retrospect, the assembler 3 is just a better version of an "electric space furnace" so yeah it's fine.

6/ Oil boiler throughput rate

Finally, the oil boilers sometimes appear to somehow process material faster than their maximum rate. I'm seeing a lot of "33.2 /s of 25.0 /s", no idea how that happens. DroCa noticed something like this in their Spaceblock playthrough too, and suspected a math typo... or maybe these buildings are also secretly benefiting from mining productivity? (Actually, no, my oil consumption & production are both 33.2 /s, and I have mining productivity 5 but 25.0 -> 33.2 is not +50%) In any case, it's a few percent, not any kind of imbalanced issue, just a thing that doesn't quite add up but doesn't really matter anyway.

7/ Pollution could be off by default

There's no nests and evo means nothing, calculating pollution dispersion really doesn't do anything except cost UPS. Which is quite possibly more of a thing since Spaceblock encourages going large.

Those are all my notes, nothing major, mostly a few things about cleaning some UI.

Return to “Mods”