Use nearest artillery turret for manual targeting

Ideas that are too old (too many things have changed since) and ones which won't be implemented for certain reasons or if there are obviously better suggestions.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

herkalurk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Use nearest artillery turret for manual targeting

Post by herkalurk »

When I manually target something with artillery, it always fires with the last turret built within range, and not the nearest turret. What happens is the travel time is extended a lot more than it needs to be. I have Artillery Shell Range 31, so manually targeting means about any of my turrets can reach most anywhere on my map. I have nearly 50 turrets stationed around the map, and I would appreciate that the nearer turrets get called on when I manually target something, instead of one that's twice the distance away from the target.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: Use nearest artillery turret for manual targeting

Post by Rseding91 »

It's actually not the latest build turret but what ever turret just happens to update next and be within range with ammo ready to shoot at that location. Having it be nearest-first would add extra performance overhead that I don't consider worth it.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

herkalurk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by herkalurk »

Rseding91 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:04 am
It's actually not the latest build turret but what ever turret just happens to update next and be within range with ammo ready to shoot at that location. Having it be nearest-first would add extra performance overhead that I don't consider worth it.
You say that, but every time I manual target it uses the last 2 turrets I built. That behavior has been consistent as I have added more turrets in the last few weeks. All of my turrets are full of ammo at the time. Some of them are even pointed in the direction that I'm targeting, and the ones that are chosen have to some times make more than 90 degree rotations before firing, sometimes almost 180. Then we can't forget the travel time of the round when the turret used is more than double the distance of a closer one. I understand the game would need to make a calculation to determine which object is closest that satisfies certain parameters (online, ammo, etc), but in the end I feel like it would still deliver the round to the target faster than waiting for a different turret on the other side of the map.

valneq
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by valneq »

herkalurk wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:20 am
You say that, but every time I manual target it uses the last 2 turrets I built.
Even when you queue up lots (I mean wildly clicking on the map) of artillery shots? It really only uses these two turrets?

herkalurk
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by herkalurk »

valneq wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 pm
herkalurk wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:20 am
You say that, but every time I manual target it uses the last 2 turrets I built.
Even when you queue up lots (I mean wildly clicking on the map) of artillery shots? It really only uses these two turrets?
No, if I were to fire only 2, then it uses the last 2 I placed (i usually place pairs). If i were to click 4 manual targets quickly, then it uses the last 4 placed. I'm sure the algorithm cares about availability, but it's using the most recently placed turrets within range first.

Return to “Outdated/Not implemented”