[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
CyberMan
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Post by CyberMan »

so nobody cares about monetization of popular youtube video with factorio letsplay using IR?

billbo99
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by billbo99 »

For "deadlock-experimental" to work its expecting a pre-requisite that copper/iron/steel plates have already been defined in a stacked format with the base "deadlock-beltboxes-loaders" mod. With IR you dont smelt ore into plates, instead you smelt ores into ingots. So I wouldnt have that mod installed to play IR.

As for your error, I think it might be an idea to disable "adamo-carbon_0.2.3" & "adamo-cinefaction_0.1.3". Failing that disable your only choice would be to disabled them one at a time until the game loads without error.
darkfrei wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:06 pm
What I need to switch off?

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

CyberMan wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 am
so nobody cares about monetization of popular youtube video with factorio letsplay using IR?
Why should it be required to be allowed? Deadlock made the content, deadlock gets to decide how money can be made from it. Not everything needs to be monetized.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

billbo99 wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am
darkfrei wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:06 pm
What I need to switch off?
For "deadlock-experimental" to work its expecting a pre-requisite that copper/iron/steel plates have already been defined in a stacked format with the base "deadlock-beltboxes-loaders" mod. With IR you dont smelt ore into plates, instead you smelt ores into ingots. So I wouldnt have that mod installed to play IR.
Not sure why DXS would throw that error - stacked copper plates do exist in IR - but it's most likely a loading order thing, no clue though, despite the name it's not my mod. As bilbo99 points out though, if the mod did actually load, it would bypass copper ingot production (and iron and steel) completely. So I will be marking DXS as incompatible in a future version of IR.

As for the rest of the million mods installed, I have no idea which of them might be causing a tech tree cycle in IR. If there were support in the data stage API for knowing which mods are responsible for making changes to data prototypes, then the error would tell you which mods are involved, but there isn't, so it doesn't.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Hmm, I guess each mod author could add a function that would print() the table of modified prototypes to stdout when called for ? (But yeah, this would be best handled by the game itself...)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BlueTemplar wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:00 pm
Hmm, I guess each mod author could add a function that ...
Yeah, good luck with that ...

Steel Age pre-logistic-bot sushi mall. Slow as you like but gets the job done.

steel-sushi.png
steel-sushi.png (2.76 MiB) Viewed 5470 times

Cribbit
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cribbit »

I love sushi malls (I tend to sushi my science in vanilla) and this mod makes them so much more useful.

Back on the "iron is too far away" topic - I think it's totally valid to have it potentially be really far away, but it felt bad to me because of the lack of rail. You get left with three options.

1. Really long belts to get iron back to your base
2. Find iron near other resources, pack up everything, move there
3. Research rails, go camp at an iron patch until you have enough iron to make rails

What if instead, there were multiple tiers of rails/trains? It fits well with the way everything else has many tiers. Tin rails & bronze locos/wagons could have lower accel & top speed. Maybe add a steel tier of trains or move the iron tier to steel.

Graveeater
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Graveeater »

Industrial Revolution 1.0.5 and 1.0.4
Dectorio 0.9.16 with the Setting "enable Walls and Gates" off
(possibly others)

does not load, message

Code: Select all

Failed to load mods: __IndustrialRevolution__/data-final-fixes.lua:13: __IndustrialRevolution__/code/functions/functions-items.lua:66: Asked to change subgroup for non-existent item dect-wood-wall
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'error'
	__IndustrialRevolution__/code/functions/functions-items.lua:66: in function 'change_recipe_subgroup'
	__IndustrialRevolution__/code/mods/mods-datafinalfixes.lua:170: in main chunk
	[C]: in function 'require'
	__IndustrialRevolution__/data-final-fixes.lua:13: in main chunk
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'require'
	__IndustrialRevolution__/data-final-fixes.lua:13: in main chunk
works fine if the Walls are enabled.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Cribbit wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:07 pm
Back on the "iron is too far away" topic - I think it's totally valid to have it potentially be really far away, but it felt bad to me because of the lack of rail. You get left with three options.

1. Really long belts to get iron back to your base
2. Find iron near other resources, pack up everything, move there
3. Research rails, go camp at an iron patch until you have enough iron to make rails

What if instead, there were multiple tiers of rails/trains? It fits well with the way everything else has many tiers. Tin rails & bronze locos/wagons could have lower accel & top speed. Maybe add a steel tier of trains or move the iron tier to steel.
Likesay: (4) hop in a monowheel and built a remote iron outpost which smelts iron right there, four furnaces tops, and dumps it into a couple of tin boxes. Go back to your main base, get on with other things for 5-15 minutes. Go back to the outpost, you now have more than enough iron to run a rail there. Total back-and-forth journeys to get the iron: two. Total breeze. Even easier: keep hitting the reseed button until you can see an iron patch that's your preferred distance away.

It's worth noting that increasing the starting area size in settings pushes iron and gold further away, just like it does for biter spawners and uranium with no mods installed.

It would be nice to have multiple tiers of locos, rails, wagons etc. - I would have liked one for the "electric" loco - but that's about two orders of magnitude more graphics work than I'm prepared to do, especially when there is no problem that it would solve. Sounds like something for an expansion mod (i.e. someone else).
Last edited by Deadlock989 on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Graveeater wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:10 pm
Industrial Revolution 1.0.5 and 1.0.4
Dectorio 0.9.16 with the Setting "enable Walls and Gates" off
(possibly others)
Fixed for next version. Also fixed an aesthetic issue when Dectorio signals are turned off.

tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tiriscef »

- Non-English languages were moved into a language pack, so that locales can be updated independently of the main mod. See mod portal / dependencies.
I don't understand this decision. The locale files are hardly 1 megabyte. Wouldn't it make more sense to split the graphics to their own mod to save bandwidth of the users after an update?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

tiriscef wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:35 pm
- Non-English languages were moved into a language pack, so that locales can be updated independently of the main mod. See mod portal / dependencies.
I don't understand this decision. The locale files are hardly 1 megabyte. Wouldn't it make more sense to split the graphics to their own mod to save bandwidth of the users after an update?
The locales are barely a tenth of a megabyte, compressed.

So far, just one of the seventeen public updates did not alter the sprites or icons in some way. So I will split the graphics out when it becomes worth the trouble, if ever.

But if other people update the locales, I can now update that by itself without troubling the English-speaking users at all.

The aim is to stop updating the main mod at all, except to fix broken things, because it's finished. This helps with that aim.

IanRaven
Inserter
Inserter

Post by IanRaven »

Hello, really nice mod, loving it so far :D

I noticed today that one of the last updates broke the Scattergun turret compatibility with fill4me (as in fill4me doesn't put ammo in the turrets when you place one down), but the Autogun turret works fine.

Thanks.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

IanRaven wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 pm
Hello, really nice mod, loving it so far :D

I noticed today that one of the last updates broke the Scattergun turret compatibility with fill4me (as in fill4me doesn't put ammo in the turrets when you place one down), but the Autogun turret works fine.

Thanks.
Someone else reported this. It appears to be a flaw in Fill4Me, there's nothing I can do about it. It does some sort of caching of turrets when a new game is initialised, but it doesn't refresh that cache if another mod changes configuration. Apparently the solution is to load your saved IR game without Fill4Me, save it, then re-activate Fill4Me. https://mods.factorio.com/mod/Fill4Me/d ... 000d898a2e

tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tiriscef »

Deadlock989 wrote: ↑
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:51 pm
But if other people update the locales, I can now update that by itself without troubling the English-speaking users at all.

The aim is to stop updating the main mod at all, except to fix broken things, because it's finished. This helps with that aim.
But this way you're troubling the non-English-speakers for a purely aesthetic aim.
An english based server doesn't include the language pack? - You won't be able to use your preferred language.
You don't know there is a language pack because the mod description is in English (and you didn't guess the mod splits such a random aspect into another mod)? - Well..

Anyway. I'm unable to update the German translations anymore. Not because of this, but because I'm in psychiatry for a while, which kind of limits my free time.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:23 pm
Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:51 pm

But this way you're troubling the non-English-speakers for a purely aesthetic aim.
An english based server doesn't include the language pack? - You won't be able to use your preferred language.
You don't know there is a language pack because the mod description is in English (and you didn't guess the mod splits such a random aspect into another mod)? - Well..

Anyway. I'm unable to update the German translations anymore. Not because of this, but because I'm in psychiatry for a while, which kind of limits my free time.
I'm just trying to do my best here, to be honest, I'm finding the constant opinions and complaints very wearing.

Server owners can install the language pack if they care at all about non-English speakers, I would if I ran a server.

The locale doesn't do anything about the mod description anyway, wherever the locale is. But the game itself translates the mod dependencies section, so if that's not clear, there's nothing else I can do about it.

If you had told me three months ago I would be running a software translation project in my spare time I would have laughed. I'm not laughing now.

tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tiriscef »

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:25 pm
I'm just trying to do my best here, to be honest, I'm finding the constant opinions very wearing.
Did I state so many opinions? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to annoy you. :/

In case you're interested in my reply:
Server owners can install the language pack if they care at all about non-English speakers, I would if I ran a server.
So you're placing a need for knowledge (there exists a language pack) on the server owners, which is kind of unnecessary.
The locale doesn't do anything about the mod description anyway, wherever the locale is. But the game itself translates the mod dependencies section, so if that's not clear, there's nothing else I can do about it.
Before the change: People who don't understand English but had heard of you mod could just install it and then play it in their preferred language.
Now: The same people need to understand the mod description, which is in English and cannot be translated, to get the information that they need to install another mod.
If you had told me three months ago I would be running a software translation project in my spare time I would have laughed. I'm not laughing now.
Well... I stated that your change might cause even more maintainance in the future - with the aim to reduce the hassle for you and others. :/

PS: I tried to place that in a spoiler tag, but the forum bugs out when you put quotes inside the spoiler thingy.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:45 pm
Well... I stated that your change might cause even more maintainance in the future - with the aim to reduce the hassle for you and others.
Your opinion is noted. I think it's wrong: I did this to lessen my workload, which is the most important thing to me right now, because this mod has stopped being fun and become work. I mean, it was taking an hour of my day every day just to read and reply to all the complaints and suggestions before I shut the mod portal discussion page down.

In fact, I could save myself even more grief by not bothering to provide multilanguage support at all and let someone else manage it. If anyone wants to take ownership of the language pack mod and the github source for it, just ask.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version: 1.0.6
Date: 23. 10. 2019

Compatibility:
- Dectorio: fixed an error on load if Dectorio walls were disabled in settings.
- Dectorio: fixed badly sized colour signal icons if Dectorio signals were disabled in settings.
- Deadlock Experimental Stacking was marked as incompatible with IR.
- General fix for other mods appending the same prerequisites as IR to vanilla technologies without checking first, e.g. Rampant Arsenal.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

hello,

Still have much time fun :D

so its me again half way into crom age, pest control is somewhat harder now....

the look of the land :
2019-10-23 08_52_39-Factorio 0.17.jpg
2019-10-23 08_52_39-Factorio 0.17.jpg (153.6 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
low in the middle is staring area and base factory and cooking station for the spaghetti
just left from i is my smelter area and a small tin & stone smelter east from the base
Best spaghetti so far i made, its not awfull fast but it gets the work done and can be made faster with faster belts (but still need to do the research)
most lacking so far are accumulators to help through the night :P

Research-pots are generelly made externally (so far only red / green /blue, but the yellow and pink one gives me the headarches)
2019-10-23 08_53_07-Factorio 0.17.jpg
2019-10-23 08_53_07-Factorio 0.17.jpg (420.13 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
I noticed a grafical bug with the advanced furnaces - there are some glitches)
2019-10-23 08_57_46-Factorio 0.17.jpg
2019-10-23 08_57_46-Factorio 0.17.jpg (97.5 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
It seems that i found a bug in research-defintion (not that i mind, helps with the pest contol 8-) )
2019-10-23 09_07_58-Factorio 0.17.jpg
2019-10-23 09_07_58-Factorio 0.17.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 5188 times
I don't know from where it comes and i don't have any clue :oops:
Maybe you have an idea

Return to β€œMods”