How do you make Robots Builds robots?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

How do you make Robots Builds robots?

Post by Junion »

I can't search well enough to find the answer, so I'm asking again, sorry if this is redundant.

How do you make a robot take one out of a chest, and make it 'active'?

I'm running 0.10.10

I know I've seen others do it somehow..but I can't find how they set it up.

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: How do you make Robots Builds robots?

Post by FishSandwich »

Put it next to a roboport with an inserter and get the inserter to put it inside.

Junion
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Junion »

Not very smart :P.

Umm I ment, I had already seen your build of that in the Hydra Delimma :).

But the answer of, just insert it into the roboport directly is sadly what I was looking for -.-. I couldn't find where you did that in Hydra, so I went looking...I had considered 'what if I just pop it in there?' but my brain was 'no way that'd ever work' so I never tried it :P.

Thank you fish for the direct answer, and thank you root for a better link to your counter and how it works...I think for now I'll stick with my 3 splitter technique..it hits close enough to the ratio I want :).

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

With a setup like this, do you build in any kind of rate limiting? Or will you just let it go, until you have 1000s of robots flying around? :)
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

-root
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by -root »

Boogieman14 wrote:With a setup like this, do you build in any kind of rate limiting? Or will you just let it go, until you have 1000s of robots flying around? :)
That's very hard to do currently in factorio.

I have two possible ways of limiting the total build, but neither of them are particular accurate. Its actually a good question though, I'd be keen ot know if anyone else has worked out a way of having a running count going.

Boogieman14
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Boogieman14 »

In my current game it probably won't matter too much to just let it go - construction bots mostly that is, biters tend to.. take bites out of them frequently :lol:
I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's the same, but with the letters in the correct order.

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Had a short brainstorm, and the only feasible idea I came up with, is monitoring the amount of something in the network that is always needed, but somewhat slow to produce, and having an inserter trigger anytime there's a backlog waiting to be transported.
I'm not really sure what would be a good choice to monitor, since the item in question would have to stay underproduced in order to keep the limiter working.

The alternative to a limiter though, would be an extended timer setup, to slow down the production. A 5 or 6 bit binary counter would work to make the production no more than 1/minute.
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

xnmo
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by xnmo »

It would be helpful if mousing over a roboport would tell you the total number of robots (and roboports for that matter) in the system. If you mouse over a chest you can see the number of logistic robots but I have no clue how many construction bots I have, lol.

And also if there were a separate filter for logistic and construction robots that are currently in the network, so you could tell a smart insert to only work if say there are less than 500 construction robots operational.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Currently the number of construction bots working is added to the number of logistic bots. So if you give all your construction bots work to do, it and compare that with before you know it about.

(I think it has something to do that the construction bots need to be in both areas, the logistic and the construction area and they took for counting just the number which is in the logistic area...)
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

BeltRunner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BeltRunner »

Boogieman14 wrote:With a setup like this, do you build in any kind of rate limiting? Or will you just let it go, until you have 1000s of robots flying around? :)
Limits on logistic and construction robots added to roboport:
Wiring
Example
EDIT: added step-by-step instruction.
Last edited by BeltRunner on Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Hm. Do I understand it right: you put every bot into the roboport, until the port is full. Then there will be a bot in the smart chest and triggers an iron/copper inserted into the smart chest, too. Once the port requests again bots, the iron/copper is taken out of the smart chest and blocks then the further input.

Smart! :)

But this will insert minimum 8*50 bots (in the best case 4 * 50 logistic and 4 * 50 construction bots) into the roboports. In the worst it will insert that multiplied with the number of roboports (but quite unlike). I think this solution is better than doing nothing, but what's really needed is the number of available and working bots in the logistic and construction networks copied as a number in the logistic network.

BeltRunner
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by BeltRunner »

ssilk wrote:Hm. Do I understand it right: you put every bot into the roboport, until the port is full. Then there will be a bot in the smart chest and triggers an iron/copper inserted into the smart chest, too. Once the port requests again bots, the iron/copper is taken out of the smart chest and blocks then the further input.

Smart! :)

But this will insert minimum 8*50 bots (in the best case 4 * 50 logistic and 4 * 50 construction bots) into the roboports. In the worst it will insert that multiplied with the number of roboports (but quite unlike). I think this solution is better than doing nothing, but what's really needed is the number of available and working bots in the logistic and construction networks copied as a number in the logistic network.
No. Check the second spoiler for detailed explanation (original post updated).

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Ah, didn't saw the direction of the inserters. Useful...

n9103
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by n9103 »

Doesn't seem much different from a basic relay style logic system, but it works. :)
Colonel Failure wrote:You can lose your Ecologist Badge quite quickly once you get to the point of just being able to murder them willy-nilly without a second care in the world.

Return to “Gameplay Help”