How old are the players of Factorio

Things that are not directly connected with Factorio.
SkiCarver
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Re: How old are the players of Factorio

Post by SkiCarver »

Well, you may think that I am forty-something, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Factorio is a great logical tool for kids ... I tend to think that it "feels" like programming in an odd sort of way, so if you are intending to be an engineer, it will be great brain training.

slippycheeze
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by slippycheeze »

Koub wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:30 pm
csduff wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm
impetus maximus wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:26 pm
here is a hint. my first computer had 128KB of RAM. :P
I got you beat. Mine only had 64k, no HDD, not even a floppy drive when we got it, just ran on tapes and cartridges. Man I miss that Commodore64.

And, I'm 38.
First time I'm seeing a "mine is smaller than yours" contest :mrgreen:
Hah. You just don't spend enough time around older computer folks. I'm not sure if I can technically say that this alone was my first computer, compared to the far end, but ... technically, I'm not sure it actually had RAM, as such: https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/TeleVideo_922

JaJe
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by JaJe »

This game is suitable for all ages. I'd rather see people playing Factorio than Fortnite.

Trebor
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Trebor »

slippycheeze wrote: ↑
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:21 pm
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:30 pm
csduff wrote: ↑
Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:12 pm
impetus maximus wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:26 pm
here is a hint. my first computer had 128KB of RAM. :P
I got you beat. Mine only had 64k, no HDD, not even a floppy drive when we got it, just ran on tapes and cartridges. Man I miss that Commodore64.

And, I'm 38.
First time I'm seeing a "mine is smaller than yours" contest :mrgreen:
Hah. You just don't spend enough time around older computer folks. I'm not sure if I can technically say that this alone was my first computer, compared to the far end, but ... technically, I'm not sure it actually had RAM, as such: https://terminals-wiki.org/wiki/index.php/TeleVideo_922
My first computer had 16k and a clock speed of 1mhz, had to plug it into a TV for its display and cassette tapes for storage.

Mackmonkey
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Mackmonkey »

I'm 18, but I started playing when I was 16. This game could be played by anyone for sure. If I could give one recommendation, save your factories to a few different save files. That way, in the future you can look back and see how what you build a year or two after playing has changed since you began. It's also fun to look back on one's old spaghetti factories! :lol:

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

When I was a kid, my parents used :
- A mechanical typewriter.
- A rotary dial phone.
- A black and white television.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

planetmaker
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by planetmaker »

When I was a kid,
my parents drove an original beetle, mechanical or electrical typewriters were a thing and big news were the first signing of treaties reducing number of nuclear missiles in central Europe... television was already in colour though :D

Adamo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Adamo »

planetmaker wrote: ↑
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:32 am
When I was a kid,
my parents drove an original beetle, mechanical or electrical typewriters were a thing and big news were the first signing of treaties reducing number of nuclear missiles in central Europe... television was already in colour though :D
I wish I could get my dad to play.

Aliquid Novi
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Aliquid Novi »

I am 78, with 1132 hours on Steam, and unknown hours on the other 2 installations and probably another thousand watching KoS, Nilaus, Xterminator and others. Factorio is the best game ever invented and I'm very glad i retired 3 years ago, how you work and play Factorio in the same lifestream I have no idea, at least I still have time to eat and sleep. Tried to get my 10 year grandson to play, mainly to get him off Fortnite, he's useful for getting rid of biters, if I supply the ammo etcetera, but not much interested in the Factory. Let's see what hes like in another 5 years.
I started working life as a civil engineer, and was then drafted into computerising the company I worked for in the 80s. Then set up my own computer company in the 90s, and as I said, retired 3 years ago.

Ian

Oktokolo
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Oktokolo »

I was one of the few kids that had a home computer (C64 in my case). Gasoline contained lead. I saw Chernobyl and acid rain killing forests in the news.

brunzenstein
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by brunzenstein »

I'm 71 - and a occasional player e.g. a dedicated Factorio fan boy

jackiebonds
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jackiebonds »

You can make it as difficult for yourself as you want. It's not an "easy" game for sure, but a smart 14-year old should be able to play it. Now you get to find out how smart you are :mrgreen:

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Trebor wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:59 pm
My first computer had 16k and a clock speed of 1mhz, had to plug it into a TV for its display and cassette tapes for storage.
My first computer had 16k RAM and processor 8080A clock speed of 1,75 Mhz, had to plug it into a b/w TV for its display and cassette tapes for storage. :D
Now my computer has 4600 MHz processor frequency and 40 GB of RAM, and it can no longer cope with the performance of my current base :)
I play factorio for only a year, the game lasts 6476 hours, 56000 launched missiles.
And I'm 49 years old :)

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

azesmbog wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:42 pm
I play factorio for only a year, the game lasts 6476 hours, 56000 launched missiles.
That's close to 17h45, on average, per day, every day, for the whole year. It's insane :)
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

coppercoil
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by coppercoil »

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 pm
That's close to 17h45, on average, per day, every day, for the whole year. It's insane :)
You can leave the game running overnight 8-). White science mining gives much more fun than altcoin mining :mrgreen:

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 pm
Thank you for calculating the average time. I myself am very lazy :)
In order not to be unfounded -
Below is a screenshot of the first save of the game.
Apparently, I started playing on 09/18/2018 - I studied for three days :)
September 22 - the first record of a free game, there are 2 minutes
games.
At the end of August this year, I finished playing on version 0.16.51 with a save file larger than 1.8 GB and at the same time consuming 31.5 GB of RAM, migrated to version 0.17, today the storage size is 1.66 GB and 28 GB in RAM.
Here is such a one year from my life :)
coppercoil wrote: ↑
Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:58 pm
You can leave the game running overnight 8-). White science mining gives much more fun than altcoin mining :mrgreen:
Yes, everything was as it was, I have enough computers to allocate two of them only for round-the-clock game in Factorio :)
I play the most vanilla version, without any mods, and not a single digit in the settings has been changed, everything is by default.
Any game is, first of all, a confrontation between a player and a developer, can I win under the conditions and restrictions that have been invented for me :) Well, while the developers are in the lead, the game turned out to be more stable than my computer, the game rested on the processor speed, and it means in my current financial capabilities. Well, after the acquisition of soon i9-9700k I will continue to expand to the ends of the world., But for now it’s only necessary to increase the number of missile launches :))
Sorry for the many letters.
Attachments
22.09.18.jpg
22.09.18.jpg (1.93 MiB) Viewed 12472 times

jaxprog
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by jaxprog »

Born in 1967 - 52 years
Also an avid Warframe player for about 3 years non stop. Account Level: 24

Helfima
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Helfima »

my first pc, well not really :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel

NB: 3615 ULA pour les connaisseurs

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

I believe you forgot an L there. ;)
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

buncestr
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by buncestr »

I am 43 years old. I started to play recently, but has already reached automatic build, addictive game!

Return to β€œOff topic”