Create ghost for cursor while crafting by hand, replace by entity when crafted

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Create ghost for cursor while crafting by hand, replace by entity when crafted

Post by mrvn »

TL;DR
Create ghost for cursor while crafting by hand, replace by entity when crafted.
What ?
When crafting an entity from the crafting menu the cursor should become a ghost of that entity. When the entity is added to the inventory (or one already exists) the cursor should change to the entity.
Why ?
Often while building one runs out of something, e.g. chemical plants. So one has to open the crafting menu, find the chemical plant and craft one. Then one has to wait till the chemical plant is crafted, open the inventory, find the chemical plant, select it, close the inventory and place it. This is time consuming and annoying.

For more frequent entities one can add them to the quickbar and select them from there. With the right option one then gets a ghost of the entity in the cursor and can place ghosts while it is still crafting. This saves a lot of time and with personal construction bots or mods like bluebuild it is close to building the entity directly. So there is precedence for creating ghost cursors but the Quickbar is too limited and still means one has to find the entity being crafted in the Quickbar first.

When crafting something it is highly likely the entity will be placed on the map next. Putting that entity into the cursor automatically would save a lot of mouse movement and clicks. Turning the ghost cursor into a real entity cursor once the crafting is finished would simplify placing entities before personal construction bots or without mods like bluebuild. It would also be helpful for the rarer cases that one hand crafts item to place into an assembler or chest. It would become as simple as craft, wait for crafting to finish, ctrl-click to transfer cursor to assembler or chest.

Overall I can't see any case where putting the item being crafted into the cursor would be harmful while it is often highly desirable.

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Create ghost for cursor while crafting by hand, replace by entity when crafted

Post by Honktown »

+1. If you're making a placeable usually the next thing you're doing is placing it. Since they removed "newly built things going into the hotbar" it's been made less intuitive. More than just placing a ghost in the cursor, we should be able to place the ghost, and then if we're in range of a ghost after crafting, the entity is placed. It would have to be careful to only place things WE wanted to build (so ghosts would need an ownership), but in general, if I could say, go to build solar panels, get a ghost, put down a bunch, and then when they're done crafting I could walk in range and they'd go whump whump whump whump, it'd make it much less annoying.

I wish ghosts would just autofill in general if we had the things on us. Construction bots and personal roboports are quite far into the game. Blueprinting should be useful earlier than that.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: Create ghost for cursor while crafting by hand, replace by entity when crafted

Post by foamy »

I'd just like it if the quickbar totally ignored inventory counts and would let me use it to put down ghosts regardless of how many items I have in my inventory.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

foamy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 pm
I'd just like it if the quickbar totally ignored inventory counts and would let me use it to put down ghosts regardless of how many items I have in my inventory.
That's already an option in the settings.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by mrvn »

Honktown wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:45 pm
+1. If you're making a placeable usually the next thing you're doing is placing it. Since they removed "newly built things going into the hotbar" it's been made less intuitive. More than just placing a ghost in the cursor, we should be able to place the ghost, and then if we're in range of a ghost after crafting, the entity is placed. It would have to be careful to only place things WE wanted to build (so ghosts would need an ownership), but in general, if I could say, go to build solar panels, get a ghost, put down a bunch, and then when they're done crafting I could walk in range and they'd go whump whump whump whump, it'd make it much less annoying.

I wish ghosts would just autofill in general if we had the things on us. Construction bots and personal roboports are quite far into the game. Blueprinting should be useful earlier than that.
Install one of the bluebuild mods and you have exactly that.

Mylon
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Mylon »

+1 for the bluebuild recommendation. (What can I say, I'm biased.)

I too would love this change. if on player crafted, cursor stack is a ghost matching the item crafted, the cursor stack totally should be swapped.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

mrvn wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:53 am
foamy wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:07 pm
That's already an option in the settings.
Whereabouts can I find that?

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”