Any way to repeatedly hand-transfer only a specific amount of items?

Don't know how to use a machine? Looking for efficient setups? Stuck in a mission?
Bogdanov89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Any way to repeatedly hand-transfer only a specific amount of items?

Post by Bogdanov89 »

Hey thanks for reading and helping out :)

This is probably my n.1 annoyance with Factorio.
I will describe the issue through examples and hope someone can help me out.

In certain circumstances (inserters/drones not available) i have to put a specific number of items from my inventory into numerous objects by hand (without opening each individual object inventory).

For example when i want to transfer exactly 15 Ammo Magazines to 20 turrets each.
Or when i want to put exactly 20 Automation Science Packs into each of my 10 laboratories.

So far i have seen that you can transfer either a whole stack or half a stack into an object from your hand by mouse-overing them and doing the ctrl left mouse click or right mouse click.

If i put a specific amount of items into my hand that specific number will be changed to the default full stack as soon as i drop it into the first object (it does not "stick" past the first transfer).

So is there a way of putting an exact numbers of items into the players hand and then easily/rapidly depositing them over multiple objects (labs, turrets...)?

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Any way to repeatedly hand-transfer only a specific amount of items?

Post by DaveMcW »

Bogdanov89 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:28 am
For example when i want to transfer exactly 15 Ammo Magazines to 20 turrets each.
Pick up a stack of ammo.
Hold down Drop item (Z).
Move your cursor across the turrets 15 times.

Bogdanov89
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by Bogdanov89 »

DaveMcW wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 am
Bogdanov89 wrote:
Pick up a stack of ammo.
Hold down Drop item (Z).
Thanks for replying but when i try that it drops only 1 item at a time?
So if i need 15 magazines in each of 20 turrets that's 300 times it has to tick down one by one?

That's hideously slow :(
I was hoping there was a way to put a certain amount of item in your hand (lets say 15 ammo) and then every turret (object) i mouse over gets 15 ammo.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

[Koub] Moved to Gameplay Help
There is no way to do so in vanilla. It has already been suggested, but not implemented (yet ?).
There are mods that add this feature though :
https://mods.factorio.com/mod/even-distribution for example.
Also remember : try to automate as soon as possible, and this will become a non issue.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Bogdanov89 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:27 am
So if i need 15 magazines in each of 20 turrets that's 300 times it has to tick down one by one?

I was hoping there was a way to put a certain amount of item in your hand (lets say 15 ammo) and then every turret (object) i mouse over gets 15 ammo.
I think, the best bet is to take a stack and insert 100 in several turrets by Ctrl-Right click until you run out of ammo. Then clear cursor and take half out by Ctrl-Right click until you have 25 or 13. Not optimal, but ok-ish.
This also works for fast turret creep attack.

Of course, if you feed turrets by belt and inserter, you don't have to bother with it

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Even Distribution saves soooooo much time and effort. It still eats all that you have in your inventory, instead of only spreading the selected stack, but it's much more tolerable than trying to only distribute small amounts.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Bauer
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Bauer »

If we are talking about early game only...

I insert small amounts by z-dropping on furnaces, assemblers, etc.

Guilwin
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Guilwin »

Bogdanov89 wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:27 am
DaveMcW wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:04 am
Bogdanov89 wrote:
Pick up a stack of ammo.
Hold down Drop item (Z).
Thanks for replying but when i try that it drops only 1 item at a time?

If the 20 turrets are positionned next to each other it's definitely NOT hideously slow to do what Dave described.
You don't have to click 300 times, you just hold the stack and move your cursor back and forth across the buildings while holding the drop key down.
It should take less than 5 seconds.
If I'm not mistaken this is the method used by speed runners to insert fuel evenly across multiple burner mining drills or furnaces, so it can't be hideously slow!

Now, I don't know how it works when the 20 turrets are built far apart.
Can you still use the same method, dropping a few items on the ground in between the turrets?
Maybe it will still be efficient eventhough you would have to manually pick up all the items dropped on the ground (and you would have to prepare for more than 300 items to account for these items you put on the ground).
Last edited by Guilwin on Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

For far apart turrets, you're supposed to use an ammo belt, burner-inserter powered if far from power lines.
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Today I learned you can ctrl-right click to remove half a stack (only took me almost 800 hours).
BlueTemplar wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:11 pm
For far apart turrets, you're supposed to use an ammo belt, burner-inserter powered if far from power lines.
This is getting off topic, but for far apart turrets just use a box and inserter that dumps ammo out onto a belt or directly into 2-4 turrets, imo. Belts are only worthwhile when things are close and you can keep refilling them (they're more expensive and slower than you think).

Belt-feed has problems for which there's no good solution: turrets only stack up to so much ammo, belts only feed so fast, and they are a rather poor "storage". Comes into play often if you're playing on super aggressive settings and medium/big biters increase in frequency. If the stack size was increased, one turret would hoard all the bullets.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Serenity
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Serenity »

Honktown wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 pm
for far apart turrets just use a box and inserter that dumps ammo out onto a belt or directly into 2-4 turrets, imo.
You can also chain turrets to some degree. 5 turrets, a box feeding the middle turret and the others chained works pretty well. I don't use that for long walls, but for small bunkers in the early game

Honktown
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Honktown »

Serenity wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:54 pm
Honktown wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:52 pm
for far apart turrets just use a box and inserter that dumps ammo out onto a belt or directly into 2-4 turrets, imo.
You can also chain turrets to some degree. 5 turrets, a box feeding the middle turret and the others chained works pretty well. I don't use that for long walls, but for small bunkers in the early game
Hah, I forgot about that. I discovered that in a game recently because I didn't have the space for belts.
I have mods! I guess!
Link

Return to “Gameplay Help”