[0.17.69] Biters freeze after artillery wagon shot impact

This subforum contains all the issues which we already resolved.
zzz
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.17.69] Biters freeze after artillery wagon shot impact

Post by zzz »

So, I moved a train with 4 artillery wagons next to a big nest of biters (the nest was in range but not in automode range).

I started manually firing at the nest and the area around the impacts got revealed. Biters started to cumulate near their destroyed nests.

After destroying all nests, I started to aim on the new biter group, which was freezed till the shell arrived, then moved for a second, then freezed again, despite being still visible because the shell revealed the area. In the second of movement, they started closing the gaps in the middle of the circle before they freezed again. I expected them to stay activated until the revealing effect of the artillery shell was over but they freezed right after the impact of the shell, so it was super easy to aim at the rest of the biters since they were freezed and visible.

To reproduce the bug, you just have to destroy a nest of biters with artillery wagons and wait until the remaining biters cumulate into a new attack group next to their destroyed nest. Then shoot an artillery shell right in the center and the biters should freeze right after that.

When I played, it happened 4 or 5 times in a row before I took care of other stuff.

log file:
factorio-current.log
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 116 times

I hope everything is easy to understand since my English isn't the best.

I searched for some keywords in the advanced search but couldn't find a topic so I hope I report a new bug, if not, sorry!

DaleStan
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Re: [0.17.69] Biters freeze after artillery wagon shot impact

Post by DaleStan »

I believe I've seen something like this before, and I think it helps to post a save from before the biters get stuck. Possibly even after you fire your artillery but before it arrives.

Zaflis
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Zaflis »

Artilleries "reserve" a kill before it lands. I see this when walking with personal lasers near hives that are in artillery range. If the artillery shot is incoming, my lasers don't shoot the hive because it's already marked dead.

Now if that somehow extends to the biters and spitters too i don't know. Artillery doesn't specifically aim them when autofiring, but you propably can?

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

Can you provide a save game? Not much we can do with only the log in this case

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

This should be fixed with some improvements we've made for the next release

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

In my game, more than 20 million bitters were destroyed, and this behavior has occurred hundreds of times, I have not paid attention to this for a long time. This happens with some periodicity on the map, so I decided for myself that this was intended by the developers :)

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

azesmbog wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:33 am
In my game, more than 20 million bitters were destroyed, and this behavior has occurred hundreds of times, I have not paid attention to this for a long time. This happens with some periodicity on the map, so I decided for myself that this was intended by the developers :)
I've been watching this thread with interest because I've seen the same thing. I have enemy nest size and frequency turned up to the max, and after an artillery barrage, they come rushing in. Most will hit the walls/turrets, but several may stop and stand just outside turret range - until some activity (I stroll past, robot comes close, etc) and then they wake up. I figured I was exceeding some numerical limit on the number of active critters and therefore some got forgotten.

azesmbog
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by azesmbog »

I walked a path of 700,000 cells, shooting and destroying bitters along the way.
Usually the scenario is this: I build a train and drive on an armored train as close to the nests as possible, stop, the guns (20 lvl) start firing automatically at the nests, the bitters run towards the guns, I destroy them with laser turrets.
But periodically, through a certain number of cells, this scenario fails. The guns fire, the bitters gather around the nests in packs and stand in one place, several hundred and do not run to the sides of the guns. You can shoot them, or you can do nothing, they continue to stand still. They do not bother me at all, unless of course they are not close to them.
I continue to build a railway through them, and then they come to life nearby and run under the turrets. It’s near, far and stand still. and it is usually quite large, 500 cells or more. Then the usual scenario is repeated.

wobbycarly
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by wobbycarly »

wobbycarly wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:15 am
azesmbog wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:33 am
I've been watching this thread with interest because I've seen the same thing. I have enemy nest size and frequency turned up to the max, and after an artillery barrage, they come rushing in. Most will hit the walls/turrets, but several may stop and stand just outside turret range - until some activity (I stroll past, robot comes close, etc) and then they wake up. I figured I was exceeding some numerical limit on the number of active critters and therefore some got forgotten.
Attaching an image of what I see. I played for over an hour and these guys just sat there doing nothing. I had multiple attacks in other areas.
Attachments
2019-10-15 19_48_47-Factorio 0.17.69.png
2019-10-15 19_48_47-Factorio 0.17.69.png (2.58 MiB) Viewed 2812 times

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Klonan »

wobbycarly wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:16 am
Attaching an image of what I see. I played for over an hour and these guys just sat there doing nothing. I had multiple attacks in other areas.
This should be resolved for the next release

Return to “Resolved Problems and Bugs”