"Chunk" Data limit?

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

"Chunk" Data limit?

Post by PanTobi »

Hey, i have to know... is there any limit for amount of Data for single chunk?...

chunk -> Grid Cell

I'm asking because for example You can create "Ban Area" in Minecraft
Maybe some of your already heard it, you can place a lot of signs on single chunk and once player come too close this chunk
Server will kick him from game...

This same is about books, You just have to drop many books at once to player so he will send to many packets to server
and so server will kick him from game...

its called "BAN Cheat" because player can't join server until his inv. got "wiped" by Admin

i want to know to avoid problems on my server :o
im building someting "BIG"

Once per week i add new structures, new enemies and new resoruces including BLUEPRINTS
so i have chest filled with Blueprints those prints are sometimes big sometimes small

here is example of one of random structure
Millitary Fortification
here is other example, many "Crashed Rockets" ( Sometimes rocket crash by it self, sometimes by Atomic Bomb )
Broken Ships
Players may also "send" rockets with for example Atomic Bombs so i will spawn new ores from space
something like "asteroids" :D

so, how about this Data Limit for chunk?...
if i build new structure called "Data Storage Center" where you can find a lot of prints books
will this crash my server or not?...

Klonan
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: "Chunk" Data limit?

Post by Klonan »

As far as I know there is no such limit

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

In factorio the player downloads the whole map when they join, not like MC where it's sent chunk-by-chunk when you walk around. So if a player can join a map with a "Data Center" he already has all the prints downloaded and there won't be any "large packages" that could "overload" their internet. So unless you copy/paste the blueprint books into the running game via console commands nothing special will happen. And even if you do they can join again no problem.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

In the past we had issues with entity counts on chunks due to recursion causing stack overflows on saving but that has since been fixed. The only known limits I know of now are counters we use (primarily unsigned 32 bit ones). Mostly, we use unsigned 32 bit counters because the objects that are being counted are decently large such that you will run out of RAM long before you reach the unsigned 32 bit counter limit anyway.

So, to answer your question as directly as I can: no. I don't know of any data limit that someone would realistically be able to hit without having petabytes or more of RAM and at that point if they did manage to hit some limit I think It would just be amazing to see what limit they hit and what happens :)
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

PanTobi
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by PanTobi »

Ty, 4 answer
but its a waste of memory, why whole world should be loaded?

what if there is more than one surface?...
Game load all surfaces and all chunks at once?...

Game load other surface even if there is no players?...
if answer is Yes, im gonna move all surface to other save...

" I think It would just be amazing to see what limit they hit and what happens "

Before "SAVE CRASH" most new Server Map weight around 500 MB now .zip file is corrupted
so we had to load old save ( 70 MB ) and after few days its already ( 130 MB )

If You want we can show You what may happen if we "hit the limit"

2 Images: ( :o )
Click

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

dying trees
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Return to “Technical Help”