Gui Calculator and Notebook

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

stann_co
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Gui Calculator and Notebook

Post by stann_co »

A calculator and notebook, right spank on the hotbar
What ?
Think a tiny calculator and notebook, would be a neat addition to the new hotbar, that came from 0.17.
Could fit down here

Calculator: Of course just a normal calculator.
Notebook: Perhaps with the ability, to quickly note down numbers/crafting speeds/belt speeds/ect when hovering over items or machines. And adding it to the notebook with a little icon attached
Why ?
Seems like an odd suggestions. But i think it'd be a simple addition, that could help to incentivise better productivity. To calculate an output accurately.

Now there's nothing stopping me from getting out my trusty Texas Instrument n' Notebook irl, and do some mathematics on my desk, but it would just ease it a little bit to have straight dang in the game.

A weird suggestion but i thought i'd share

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Gui Calculator and Notebook

Post by Koub »

Both suggestions have already been made before. A quick search is all what would be needed to find them, but I'm feeling lazy too tonight :mrgreen:.
Now to the point. While I clearly see the use I would make of an integrated notepad (take notes of what I was doing for the future me to remember when I come back from a ause), I don't see why a calculator. If I need a calculator, it's to make a calculation (thanks cap'tain obvious) just once, and forget about it. There's no need to do it ingame, I'll just use the one provided with my OS.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Notepad to take some random notes? Yea. Has been on my "list of things i should make" for ages.
Notepad to write down ratios? Meh. Might as well automate the ratio calculations helmod style.

Calculator? Yes. Saw something on the portal that looks like one here but haven't tested. @Koub. Ever since my physical desktop calculator died i sorely miss it. No app or program so far has been able to give me that ease of use back. Having one in-game would at least stop the immersion breaking of alt-tab.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

If I feel brave enough, I'll do the effort to unlock my smartphone, which has all the calculator features I need. If not, the Windows calculator will do the trick for me.
If the devs add it, I won't petition to get it removed, but I'd rather them focus on more important parts of the game (personal opinion).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Koub wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:01 pm
the effort to unlock my smartphone
Dunno. Just doesn't have the same easy-of-use for me (compared to my good old late physical calculator).
Koub wrote:
If the devs add it, I won't petition to get it removed,
Now i'm interested. What does one have to get into the game for you to start actively attempting to push it back out again :D?
Koub wrote:
but I'd rather them focus on more important parts of the game (personal opinion).
That is my opinion of about 90% of the threads in this subforum ;).
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

BlueTemplar
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by BlueTemplar »

Helmod (and other planners like Max Rate Calculator) have built-in calculators (though usually very simple ones).
Why else do you need a notebook for ? I find that Todo-List + map notes tend to cover all my other use cases ?
BobDiggity (mod-scenario-pack)

Helfima
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Helfima »

helmod have a calculator and more :lol:
helmod_calculator.PNG
helmod_calculator.PNG (95.93 KiB) Viewed 2067 times

Jon8RFC
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Jon8RFC »

I'd love to see both a calculator and notebook as part of 1.2, or at least part of the expansion. I don't think they're mod-worthy.

These aren't mod-worthy because it's an inherent part of the game, everyone probably just doesn't realize how often they do calculations in their head or make obscure "notes", in-game.

"Notes" are haphazardly made with laying stuff out, spelling it out with items, or using tags.
Notes could significantly supplement the calculator: "I forgot that last result after doing a lot of multiplying again"
It could be local-only function, and not part of the deterministic portion of the game.

Or...maybe notes could be "more simply" added in the same manner in which blueprints are, with a copy-paste-edit, rather than a whole new function from scratch.
Make a noteBOOK, too. Instead of the hash/code/whatever for each blueprint, it's normal text.
They could be shared and people would always have their originals, as well.

If you make the notes/books factorio-style, let the icons be dropped in.
Some more advanced features like bold/italic/underline/tabs would be handy, but maybe that's asking too much.

And maybe it's way too much to ask, but the ctrl+alt+click map ping? That'd be handy to somehow copy&paste that into a note like [ping=x.y]This train station needs to be disabled until...[/ping].

Amarula
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Amarula »

Jon8RFC wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:43 pm
Or...maybe notes could be "more simply" added in the same manner in which blueprints are, with a copy-paste-edit, rather than a whole new function from scratch.
Make a noteBOOK, too. Instead of the hash/code/whatever for each blueprint, it's normal text.
Oh I like this idea! Being able to copy and paste stuff from the game, like the ping, would be a bonus, but even just having plain text notes organized into books would be pretty amazing.
My own personal Factorio super-power - running out of power.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”