My post was deleted

Discussions related to the forums itself. Call for moderators. Trash Posts area.
nctdev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

My post was deleted

Post by nctdev »

Hey
I recently joined to forums, wanting to get some fresh info, share ideas etc, classic stfuff really. I've commented on viewtopic.php?f=3&t=75239 this thread and my post was accepted (newbie things). Later that day I couldn't find my post so I decided to ask mods. Asked one of them I've got info that Loewchen had deleted my post without specifying a reason. It's a pity he didn't let me know in any way - so maybe I could improve myself. So I asked him about that, and only thing he said is that it was off topic.
Here I got some questions, apart from that Loewchen forgot to reply to my further message:
- how's a post commenting recent changes off topic on "recent changes" topic?
- why was it accepted if it was off topic?
- why I didnt get a note my post was deleted? Not even warning, not even reason, zero chance to maybe improve my behaviour or even get to know how are things going on these forums so I could adapt.

FYI - in my post I had a comment about the server connecting changes (the ESC thing) and a question about future ones that may be planned (electricity bars). Didn't make a screenshot of it because I didn't find it necessary at this point of time.

courtesy note - english is my third language, you'd have to excuse me possible mistakes and if you can't understand anything I've said I'd be glad to explain.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: My post was deleted

Post by Koub »

nctdev wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:31 pm
- why was it accepted if it was off topic?
I'll only answer to the small part I can : The first post acceptance thingie is mainly to ban the spambots that make it through the registration process before they can actually bother the community.
Therefore your first post can be accepted, but be moderated nonetheless.

Unfortunately, I can't speak for the rest : I don't remember your post despite I must have read it if it's been there for at least a few hours. I will therefore remain strictly neutral in the disagreement you have with my fellow moderator. I guess I didn't find it that much off topic, but at the same time, we are all different, and given the same guidelines to do our moderation duty, we may do things differently.

I'd just leave a final note here : We moderators are not part of the dev team and have a job, families, and stuff to do in our real lives, and moderating comes on top of all that. There might be tons of reasons a moderator doesn't answer as fast as you'd expect. I'd advise, for the next time, things private a bit longer next time : you can't "ungo" public, and going public has a "shaming" tone that does no good. But it's a personal opinion, you can do what you want with it :).
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nctdev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nctdev »

If I would saw any chance he will answer (but the tone + he was posting on forums later) I definitely wouldn't do that. But all I've seen was him trying to fob me off, so...
So the accepting thing basically cuts out any spam urls etc? Can mods see where the post was posted, or just its content?
A person whom I got info from what Loewchen did had pink username, so the dev team I guess.
Well I'll be waiting for further responses anyway because I see this situation as an injustice and actions taken out of spite (don't know why tho).
I don't mean to start any battles and make you guys hate anybody, but... innocent till proven guilty, as some people say.

Koub
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Koub »

nctdev wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:35 pm
So the accepting thing basically cuts out any spam urls etc?
Yes, at least that's what I do.
nctdev wrote:
Can mods see where the post was posted, or just its content?
Whe can see the post itself, and also the topic where it was posted if it is not a new topic.
nctdev wrote:
A person whom I got info from what Loewchen did had pink username, so the dev team I guess.
Yep.
Koub - Please consider English is not my native language.

nctdev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nctdev »

So as I said, if I would saw any chance he will answer etc...
Also, seeing other posts like mine about similar thing with same person.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

nctdev wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:45 pm
So as I said, if I would saw any chance he will answer etc...
Also, seeing other posts like mine about similar thing with same person.
Get over yourself.

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

One thing I learned by interacting with the internet for several decades is, that contrary to real world face to face conversation, there can be a million reasons, why a person on the other end of the line acts this or that way and that I won't know the reasons or never find them out. A million reasons which might have something to do with me or might not.

Thus, trying to find out why something happened, would be a masochistic attitude.

My personal attitude is rather like the following:
1. If it isn't important to me, I view my deeds (messages) on the internet as "fire and forget". If they go through, good. If they don't go through, there is some reason, but finding out what it is, would take so much time, I move on. I don't depend on the message going through.
2. If it is important to me and it doesn't go through, I still don't bother why. I just try from a different angle. Repost, different wording, different tone, different forum, later, etc. ... .
3. If a particular place or person on the internet consistently and continuously doesn't like me or my opinion, I also move on. I accept it. No one has to like me or what I write and the other way around.
4. From time to time I reflect on what and how I write and how I can improve to get my point through.

This doesn't help you with your specific case, but ... does it help in general?

nctdev
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by nctdev »

Its just I've got so many questions I would love to get an answer to any of them :lol:

Impatient
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by Impatient »

I understand. But that also was somewhere near my point. ... it most likely is not going to happen. My recommendation: Move on.

Return to “This Forum”