Why can't we fill barrels with stuff besides oil?

Suggestions that have been added to the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Why can't we fill barrels with stuff besides oil?

Post by silman »

I want to be able to ship off lubricant, sulfuric acid, and other liquid products to my main factory. Why do we have a system set up for oil and not the very closely related products?

FishSandwich
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Why can't we fill barrels with stuff besides oil?

Post by FishSandwich »

I think something like this is already planned(at least it seems that way, according to the roadmap). Though I think it is low priority.

DaveMcW
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by DaveMcW »

Tanker wagons are planned. This stuff with barrels is just a quick fix until then.

silman
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by silman »

DaveMcW wrote:Tanker wagons are planned. This stuff with barrels is just a quick fix until then.
Awesome! Thanks for clearing that up

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

Cloner
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Cloner »

The tankers would be much appreciated. I really like the train part of factorio, but without tanker vagons it is not complete.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

There are mods that do both of these: liquid station is a mod that lets you fill barrels with other fluids, and there's also a tanker wagon mod. Check the mods section.
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

rldml
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by rldml »

DaveMcW wrote:Tanker wagons are planned. This stuff with barrels is just a quick fix until then.
Anyway - i love barrels - please give us more usability for it :).

I wanna transport heavy oil, light oil and other liquids with barrels - there should be a variant for petroleum gas too.

Thx :)

Cheers, Ronny

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

There is also a mod: viewtopic.php?f=94&t=7887 Fluid Barrel

Siapran
Inserter
Inserter

Post by Siapran »

To be honest, I feel like having barrels of lubricant would be a really practical addition.
One hardly uses lubricant for anything, and when lubricant is needed, it is in small quantities.
Having drones flying by with barrels of lube is a perfect use case for barrels.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ssilk »

I played with both mods (fluid tanker and barrels).

For me meanwhile it's clear that we need both, because each type of transport has it's own advantages and disadvantages and are worth of beeing implemented, cause of the differences. Both results in very different play-style, which is good in my opinion, on the other hand it won't add too much complexity.

For both more or less big changes needs to be made, to implement it correctly, especially for the barrels the production statistics would be wrong (if the fluids would be displayed in the production stats (which is already suggested)).
That needs to be fixed, we need some kind of "filling" and "emptying" device.

bobingabout
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by bobingabout »

ssilk wrote:For me meanwhile it's clear that we need both, because each type of transport has it's own advantages and disadvantages and are worth of beeing implemented, cause of the differences. Both results in very different play-style, which is good in my opinion, on the other hand it won't add too much complexity.
According to the old development tree, 0.13 is next, and 0.13 will have oil tankers and better fluid management, including using fluids as fuels!!!
This may have been bumped in favour of other newer ideas though, this was a plan back when 0.10 was being developed.

In any case, I completely agree, I usually have pipes all over the damn place, and that results in flow issues, so you have to use pumps. And using pumps forces a directional control, which makes things like adding on cracking plants awkward, because you can't just pipe that light oil back down the light oil output pipe, you need to route it back to the light oil input pipe on the other side of your light oil storage facility, next to the oil refinery... bleh, I usually have a whole fluids BASE, where it does nothing but process fluids... and gasses, don't forget, I am Bob, creator of bobmods, It would be silly not to use my own creations, so there's the whole gasworks tacked onto the side of my oil plants too. Then everything is piped to the needed factories. That's a lot of pipes.

In the odd areas though, I do use Barrels and Canisters, it would be better if I built all my factories around using canisters instead.

(Not relevant to this discussion though, I currently don't have barrelled water in my mods, it's a bit pointless since the structure that barrels/unbarrels it can currently be used to create it from "ground water", which is currently everywhere. It is a thing I plan to add though, replacing the "from nothing" factory method, with patches on the ground like oil that would need pumpjacks placed on them. Once this is done, having barrelled water would be useful. I would add different kinds of water too, I already have Lithia water as a source of lithium, which is currently just obtained "from nothing", but I'd like to separate Water into Pure and Salt too, for my electrolysis systems.)
Creator of Bob's mods. Expanding your gameplay since version 0.9.8.
I also have a Patreon.

Return to “Implemented Suggestions”