[0.16.51] Multiple crashes on first time install

Anything that prevents you from playing the game properly. Do you have issues playing for the game, downloading it or successfully running it on your computer? Let us know here.
kirdtheape
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

[0.16.51] Multiple crashes on first time install

Post by kirdtheape »

The first time I started the game crashed on the load screen. I restarted and made it about 5 minutes into the tutorial and it crashed again.
Attachments
factorio-previous.log
(10.63 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
factorio-current.log
(7.56 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: [0.16.51] Multiple crashes on first time install

Post by Rseding91 »

Hello, the log file shows: "RivaTuner Statistics Server" is installed. That has known incompatibility issues with Factorio. Try uninstalling it and seeing if the game will launch after that.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

kirdtheape
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by kirdtheape »

Thanks for the suggestion. I uninstalled Riva Tuner (and also MSI afterburner) and it seemed to fix the crash issue. I played for 3 hour no issues. However, when I left my PC on standby I came back to find the PC on and no signal to the monitor. I tried restarting and got a BSOD after a few minutes of loging into to Windows 10. Hard booting leads to no signal to the monitor (no POST screen at all), about 90% of the time. I made a USB Windows recovery drive. I was able to boot to the utility where I ran the system troubleshooter (could not help me) so I ran chkdsk /f. I saw some messages regarding sparse sectors that were fixed. I rebooted and the safe mode kicked it in and it said it needed to recover to a prior restore point so I did that. That seemed to work as it got me into windows where I downloaded and re-installed the latest Nvideo drivers. I went to bed at about 2am while those were installing. When I woke up the PC light was on and again no signal to the monitor. I powered down and up again and it froze on the Bios splash screen. Now I can't boot from the USB.

I can't help but think this is related to the Riva Tuner / Afterburner uninstall. Not sure how to fix it. I can't even boot from the USB reliably. Any advice on what to try next?

Rseding91
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Rseding91 »

That sounds like general hardware/software issues and outside of what I can really help with here. I recommend contacting some local PC repair shop and seeing what they can do for you.
If you want to get ahold of me I'm almost always on Discord.

Return to “Technical Help”