Make fuel slots (in a locomotive, car, tank, furnace...) have a filter

Post your ideas and suggestions how to improve the game.

Moderator: ickputzdirwech

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Make fuel slots (in a locomotive, car, tank, furnace...) have a filter

Post by mrvn »

TL;DR
One should be able to select the allowed fuel for each fuel slot in a vehicle.

What ?
Like slots in a cargo wagon can be set to specific items I suggest the fuel slots in locomotives, cars, tanks and any other vehicle entity should have a filter too.
Why ?
I would like to drive my trains with nuclear fuel. But nuclear fuel (moded makes it worse) is hard to produce especially when you first get it. So as backup I would like to use solid fuel, coal or even wood. I would like to set a filter on the first fuel slot to nuclear fuel. Then only nuclear fuel can be put in that slot and the slot is free for whenever nuclear fuel is available. The refuel station can then have one inserter loading nuclear fuel and a stack inserter loading solid fuel / coal /wood. The train will get a mix of fuel and prefer to run on nuclear fuel, if available.

PTTG
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Re: Make fuel slots in a locomotive (car, tank) have a filter

Post by PTTG »

Seconded, that sounds like a great idea.

mrvn
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Re: Make fuel slots in a locomotive (car, tank) have a filter

Post by mrvn »

Let's extend this a bit. Why limit it to vehicles. Any fuel slot including furnaces or burner inserter could benefit from this.

In mods like Angels, Pyaddon or now Industrial Revolution you have many cases where a item with fuel value is part of a recipe that you don't want to use as fuel. But it's pure chance which item arrives first and gets put in the fuel slot. Or your fuel runs low and suddenly a different fuel is used.

ssilk
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Make fuel slots (in a locomotive, car, tank, furnace...) have a filter

Post by ssilk »

I changed the subject a bit according to the former post, which makes a lot of sense to me.
Cool suggestion: Eatable MOUSE-pointers.
Have you used the Advanced Search today?
Need help, question? FAQ - Wiki - Forum help
I still like small signatures...

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

+1

You would also be able to limit the amount of (expensive) fuel in a locomotive. Most of the time, i don't need 3 full stacks of fuel (or more for modded locomotives).
Currently, I manually put in some cheap fuel in the last slots to prevent it from filling up with the provided fuel. Works ok, but easy to forget and screw up.

Vegemeister
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by Vegemeister »

If I wanted my locomotives to run on a lesser fuel if the preferred fuel was unavailable, I would simply use a priority splitter or circuit priority mechanism.

RIP to you guys, but I'm different.

The argument about furnaces getting their fuels and inputs confused is reasonable, though.

jodokus31
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by jodokus31 »

Vegemeister wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:48 pm
If I wanted my locomotives to run on a lesser fuel if the preferred fuel was unavailable, I would simply use a priority splitter or circuit priority mechanism.
Works, if you are able to (over)produce desired fuel to fill out train buffers. It's more about finetuning and optimizing the fuel usage in order to profit earlier from the huge speed bonus.

Factoruser
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by Factoruser »

I think it would be better to use a smart fueling station setup. I see the trouble more in the improvement of the circuit system; the combinators are extremely useless yet. A simple comparsion "chest A <> chest B" requires 3 combinators for instance and therefore you get rapidly a hell of a cable tangle for most easiest cases.

foamy
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by foamy »

I mean, you can *sort* of do this with a filter inserter and some combinators for train fuel, but it's ugly. Directly filtering the slots would be very handy.

Return to “Ideas and Suggestions”