[MOD 0.17] Industrial Revolution

Topics and discussion about specific mods
cicatrix
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Re: [MOD 0.17+] Industrial Revolution (0.99.x)

Post by cicatrix »

About scraping - will I be able just to throw anything on a belt and it will all be consumed by a scrapping machine? Or I will be required to set a proper scrapping recipe each time?

ThreePounds
Inserter
Inserter

Post by ThreePounds »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm
This is as non-prestige as I can get it without starting to lose the colouring too much
In case you're looking for feedback:

I think the metal variants look really nice and "scrappy" now.

However, the glass one looks a bit odd. My experience tells me that glass shards normally come in pretty much all sizes and shapes ranging from tiny splinters to large irregularly shaped pieces. I think this version is a bit to uniform both in size and shape. But I could be too nitpicky here ...

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

cicatrix wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:09 pm
About scraping - will I be able just to throw anything on a belt and it will all be consumed by a scrapping machine? Or I will be required to set a proper scrapping recipe each time?
No, the scrapper doesn't need a recipe setting, like the disassembler didn't.

You can't throw "anything" on a belt because not all items are scrappable - things with no metal or glass in their history won't be accepted, so they would block a belt. That's surprisingly few things, though. But then there are items that are belt-able that don't even have ingredients in the first place, like blueprints. However, all of those those things can be incinerated, so you could set up filters etc. if you've got a 4 lane megabus of blueprints you want destroying for some reason.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

Damn....

i wanted to wait for the next big realise of Factorio to play this mod.
Wanted to improve my own small mods but this looks far to good so i need to update Factorio and play this mod.... damn you.....

Two points i would suggest (possibilities).....

why not make a void recipe for thinks which can't / should not scrapped so they won't block the scrapper....

i would add some 'stone-scrape', so you can reuse the stone or make the stone scrape become the ingredient (presuming its grinded stone or silicium) for glass ?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

nosports wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:44 pm
why not make a void recipe for thinks which can't / should not scrapped so they won't block the scrapper....

i would add some 'stone-scrape', so you can reuse the stone or make the stone scrape become the ingredient for glass ?
The mod provides incinerators, which can void items for you (at a pollution cost).

I'd rather re-use stone or stone gravel which already exist than add "stone scrap", just looking at whether there's much benefit to it now.

nosports
Filter Inserter
Filter Inserter

Post by nosports »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:45 pm

The mod provides incinerators, which can void items for you (at a pollution cost).

I'd rather re-use stone or stone gravel which already exist than add "stone scrap", just looking at whether there's much benefit to it now.
As i don't know the Mod yet ;) i am not aware what exist....

I did not meant to add a 'stone-scrap' item, i agree to use a more just exiting item then (if i understand you right there is stone gravel - so then i would use it)

I don't know how much items exist which could not be processed by the scrapper, but i think it should not more then you can sort out via filtered inserters (which could take away the said items so to keep the factory working)
If i remember right about standart inserters you can place 2 filtered inserts to fetch unscrapable items so this would sum up to 10 items...
Edit :
Wrong, i could imagine to place 3 filtered inserts so 15 unscrapable items

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BlueTemplar wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:57 pm
Sure : the aforementioned Stone Furnaces...
Also Bronze Furnaces/Foresters, and later, Boilers (though those can get used up by Locomotives, eventually...)

Would also help if you ever made by mistake way too many Gates or Landfill... (bigger than vanilla chests and storage depots !)

Also, yeah, concrete crushing not even returning some gravel seems weird ?
Ye olde tale of stone patch spawning woes. My vanilla games in 0.16 started with me going to settings, picking Rail World, bumping up stone patch size, turning off bloody cliffs, and then hitting "New seed" 30 times. Plus ça change.

Ran some tests using various stone products as the "root" for the algorithm.

It affects less than you might think because remember that scrapping ignores non-crafting recipes by design (except some glass exceptions, for reasons).

Adding stone, returning stone: adds a whopping 1 extra recipe to scrapping, stone furnaces. Raw stone isn't found in the history of any other recipe. (Landfill doesn't use stone in IR.)

Adding stone gravel, returning stone gravel: adds extra returns to 15 recipes, all of which are large machines with concrete or gravel in them, except for rails, landfill, and the four variants of concrete themselves. (Helped me spot that science packs are scrappable ...)

Adding stone bricks, returning stone bricks: adds extra returns to 5 recipes, locomotives, gates, walls, bronze furnaces, and boilers.

Increase in recipes that lose out on scrap returns because of the 5 product cap, if all three of above are enabled at once: zero, although some of the same things now lose different drops, because they all have concrete in their history anyway.

All of this would be different with other mods installed, obviously, but don't care about that much.

So this is looking feasible. I don't want to get sand involved though. I'm hesitant about returning stone bricks, but there's no route from gravel to bricks. If all three returned gravel though, it would help keep filters manageable etc. And the scrapper is quite ... chompy.

richarnd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by richarnd »

Therenas wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:06 pm
Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:16 pm

This is as non-prestige as I can get it without starting to lose the colouring too much:

scraptastic.png
Don't like those, looks like low-quality, static-y sprites somehow. Hm maybe they work when in motion or at different zoom levels, but that one shot isn't working for me at least.
To each their own but I think they look great.

Irsmert
Burner Inserter
Burner Inserter

Post by Irsmert »

Just started a new IR game over the weekend and I just have to say WOW. Cool ideas well implemented, I'm enjoying myself quite a lot getting started into my next Factorio world. Haven't really noticed anything about the mod that I dislike or think should be changed, although I agree with the new scrapper concept rather than the unused disassembler. One thing I noticed with the disassembler is that it doesn't seem to interact with the broken buildings from the recommended Assembler Assay mod, will the scrapper be able to disassemble my broken machines?

Next topic with a question, I have AAI installed and Krastorio doesn't seem compatible with IR+AAI, is that a question for Krastorio forums? Ideally I would like to play IR+AAI+Krastorio+Space Exploration, however I get that will take some coordination from someone/many mod authors and a bit more time. Until then I'm quite content with what's available.

Again, really impressed at what's here and looking forward to the many good improvements in the future, thanks to the modding community!

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

Shame poor CD Cobra guy. Meanwhile I see a lot of YT vids with this mod. The one guys gives me such a chuckle because he plays worse than a n00b. Guess not all Factorians are the sharp knives in the drawer.

And yeah I meant pristine dammit and I even double checked the phone's autocorrect. Guess I'm not such a sharp knife either...

As for the earlier question, I haven't died yet so I just moved my one pistol to the last weapon slot. I will probably just chuck it into an incinerator when I run past it again. Otherwise I just chuck the old machines into that lone bronze mass storage container. Oh and light armour gets used to upgrade into the other armours. Maybe Krusty or Spax mods changed that recipe...

I also have a huge deficiency in stone on my map. Got a radius of about 5x starting area with about 200 M of each/most resources all together but just 40M stone. Luckily one of the other mods added sand patches. But yeah, in some countries recycling concrete is a massive industry so I would like if we could recycle some crushed stone from some things.

And the new scrap sprites look better, a lot less prestine/prestige... don't know how it will be when moving on an express belt... TV static comes to mind.

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

McDuff wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:34 pm
Now, are there any late game uses for Bronze other than red science?
No ... I think bronze is the most unloved of all the materials, except maybe tin. I have plans to nudge tin a bit, but no inspiration for bronze particularly. (Green science.)

In modern times, bronze is still popular for making musical instruments. I don't have any plans to add trumpets or tubas. Other than that, bronze ball bearings are still a thing apparently.

I still think it has a place in the mod - training wheels for steel. And with scrapping on the way, it can all be fed back into science, so it's not technically useless.

Bronze furnaces also remain viable forever as well in their role as best chemical-fuel furnace, if you have a use case for electricity-free smelting. They are also gorgeous to look at if I do say so myself.

richarnd
Manual Inserter
Manual Inserter

Post by richarnd »

Biggest use of bronze I know of is in sculpture.

Late-game bronze monument that costs huge amounts of bronze ingots? Decorative only, of course. Giant Factorio gear?

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

Irsmert wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:40 pm
One thing I noticed with the disassembler is that it doesn't seem to interact with the broken buildings from the recommended Assembler Assay mod, will the scrapper be able to disassemble my broken machines?
Don't know, but if it has a crafting route from ingots to it, it will be, automatically. If not, you could make a request to Mylon to add a scrapping recipe if it's an item that isn't crafted via any normal route.
Next topic with a question, I have AAI installed and Krastorio doesn't seem compatible with IR+AAI, is that a question for Krastorio forums? Ideally I would like to play IR+AAI+Krastorio+Space Exploration, however I get that will take some coordination from someone/many mod authors and a bit more time. Until then I'm quite content with what's available.

Again, really impressed at what's here and looking forward to the many good improvements in the future, thanks to the modding community!
The answer is that we don't really know. Three-way overhaul compatibility is best described, I think, as a fricken nightmare. I have removed most of the major obstacles to making it work for the next version of IR, but the rest is up to Linver from the Krastorio team. We have discussed it (at length) and to be brutally honest, we don't really think IR+AAI+K adds a great deal to IR+K, so I would completely understand it if Krastorio prioritised other things closer to home.

As for SE, it's top of the list for the next overhaul that IR supports, but I won't get to it until (a) IR 1.0.0 is out and (b) I have actually had a chance to stop modding for a bit and play SE for myself ...

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

When looking into SE compatibility, pay attention to the personal shields... It's uses steel plate but the icon is a weird elongated steel plate and so far the only recipe that seems to use that steel plate, which I obviously can't make. When the rampant biters finally attack one day, after 27 hours surprisingly not yet, I will prolly try and make a migration mod named Z that hopefully can overwrite the recipe for the shields...

Also trust you've seen my issues on the SE thread there's some probs with the icon sizes...

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BHakluyt wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:38 pm
Also trust you've seen my issues on the SE thread there's some probs with the icon sizes...
That's because SE is loading after IR and changing vanilla entity/item/recipe icons without setting the icon size.

With IR support, SE would be a dependency and would load first, removing that issue, but opening up a metric arseload of other issues.

BHakluyt
Fast Inserter
Fast Inserter

Post by BHakluyt »

[/quote]
With IR support, SE would be a dependency and would load first, removing that issue, but opening up a metric arseload of other issues.
[/quote]

Really? I also thought to just rename your mod to Z so it loads last but I think I will have to go through a lot of luas and rename to Z if I wanted to do that...

tiriscef
Long Handed Inserter
Long Handed Inserter

Post by tiriscef »

Deadlock989 wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:26 pm
In modern times, bronze is still popular for making musical instruments. I don't have any plans to add trumpets or tubas.
That gives me an idea for my mod. :x

steinio
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by steinio »

Why is landfill behind explosives? It just contains of sand and rubble.

Transport Belt Repair Man

View unread Posts

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

steinio wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:27 pm
Why is landfill behind explosives? It just contains of sand and rubble.
No clue what mods you're running that might cause that, in IR landfill is a Bronze Age, red science tech.
Attachments
landfill.png
landfill.png (182.13 KiB) Viewed 4367 times

Deadlock989
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by Deadlock989 »

BHakluyt wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:08 pm
Really? I also thought to just rename your mod to Z so it loads last but I think I will have to go through a lot of luas and rename to Z if I wanted to do that...
https://wiki.factorio.com/Tutorial:Mod_ ... #info.json

Return to “Mods”