info.json handled differently by game and modportal

Place to post guides, observations, things related to modding that are not mods themselves.
Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Re: info.json handled differently by game and modportal

Post by Bilka »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:10 pm
Hm. Maybe i'm looking at it from the wrong perspective. I see the "example" as something that a beginner can copy/paste into his file and use it and it actually works correctly. But without a dependency to the base mod it's technically incomplete, as every mod depends on base and most are incompatible if you so much as jump back ~5-10 minor versions. Granted it's a very nitpicky nitpick, but my nit-picking-kit has tools for all the small jobs too ;).
The example info json also depends on base. Again, the default dependency is the base mod. The only way to depend on literally nothing is to use "dependencies": [].
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Bilka wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:13 pm
The example info json also depends on base. Again, the default dependency is the base mod. The only way to depend on literally nothing is to use "dependencies": [].
Read the paragraph again, and now i understand what you're saying. But when i removed the dependencies node completely (not just empty array) i do get "None".
dependency.png
dependency.png (4.16 KiB) Viewed 920 times

I did just notice that the mod manager doesn't allow to disable base anymore though, so it's even more nitpicky than i expected.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Bilka
Factorio Staff
Factorio Staff

Post by Bilka »

eradicator wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm
Read the paragraph again, and now i understand what you're saying. But when i removed the dependencies node completely (not just empty array) i do get "None".
Yep, if the mod just has the default dependencies (aka you didnt set any), it will show as "None", that's 100% intended.
I'm an admin over at https://wiki.factorio.com. Feel free to contact me if there's anything wrong (or right) with it.

eradicator
Smart Inserter
Smart Inserter

Post by eradicator »

Bilka wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:52 pm
eradicator wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:23 pm
Yep, if the mod just has the default dependencies (aka you didnt set any), it will show as "None", that's 100% intended.
It also shows "None" if i give it an empty array. So from the outside i can't see the secret difference between the two. In any case i think most mods need to enforce a minimum base minor version. My mods definetly won't run on 0.17.0 anymore :D.
Author of: Belt Planner, Hand Crank Generator, Screenshot Maker, /sudo and more.
Mod support languages: 日本語, Deutsch, English
My code in the post above is dedicated to the public domain under CC0.

Return to “Modding discussion”